ad: chuckmartin

3Y0J Bouvet Island - Almost There!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jan 31, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand the generators to run them weigh 350 lbs. Apparently they can't get them ashore.

KR3DX and PY2NEA like this.
  2. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the need for gen-sets on the island while they have plenty power on board S/Y.
    Just lay a 10kW cable between S/Y and station ashore, yacht is at anchor anyway.
    Probably output PWR regulation gonna be tricky, but doable.
    IMHO they're more worried to have to leave Bouvet in a 3-hour notice due to WX, abandoning expensive radio material to seals, than to disembark stuff ashore.

Oliver

3. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Then why the hell would they bring equipment not able to be brought ashore? Especially from a $815,000.00 project.

A Honda 7000 watt only weights 250lbs, the same as an average size man.
    Instead of bringing 1 generator to run the entire camp, bring several small ones. 1 per station. SPE amps also have the ability to run 500, 1000 or full output via a setting. At 500w the amp won't draw much current but the world might actually be able to hear them!!

I bet if I gave them $1000 cash for each generator brought to the camp, the guys would have them all onshore before days end.

K0UO, W9FL and UN7JID like this.
  4. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There will be no QRZ uploads..... Well thats a bummer...

K0UO likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

No biggie - just import to QRZ from LoTW

Dave
    W7UUU

K3WGI, WD5GWY, N8ZI and 1 other person like this.
  6. N8ZI

Just pay 3Y0J $15 and in 6 months they will upload to lotw, then sync your lotw account with qrz and download all the lotw qsl's.
    Problem solved.

AE0Q likes this.
  7. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At one point when I checked, the APRS coordinates had the ship 3 miles away from the camp.

AE8EM and PY2NEA like this.
  8. N8ZI

3Y0J Bouvet Island Update:

All good. Generator fixed. Easier to do when it is light. 3Y0J

The 3Y0J Team is OK and healthy. Conditions here are very difficult. Maintaining safety is a priority. We will continue to operate with the current equipment as long as possible. The weather conditions continue to be difficult. It is expected to improve between Monday and Tuesday. It looks like Sunday’s good weather window has unfortunately disappeared. The team remains on the air despite these challenges. At this time we are evaluating resupply and a change of operators. Please continue to monitor our 3Y0J Facebook group. You can help by reporting propagation to our pilots. We ask that if you have already worked Bouvet please do not work them on additional modes and bands. This will allow others to get the ATNO they need.”

You can also see our Frequency Announcements on the 3Y0J Bouvet Island Group Facebook page.

Steve N2AJ

Media Officer & NA East Coast Pilot

3Y0J Bouvet Island 2023 DXpedition

9. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

It's their Computers I guess that Enjoy it & they are Happy for their Unlicensed Computer for doing All of the Work for them while they slept or watched the grass grow.

Clayton
    W4KVW

PY2NEA likes this.
  10. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

most grass grow much slower than their "awards"

Oliver

11. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like they have commenced 20M FT-8 operation

We are going to resupply the island, and try to land more equipment. Also I plan to go ashore again to operate.

Dave WD5COV Bouvet freqs .jpg

N8ZI likes this.
  12. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

AWARDS are Useless paper & most come from the ARRL which I have nothing to do with. Awards are good for starting a fire if nothing else or emergency TP if you are Wiped Out in the bathroom. LOL }:>)

Clayton
    W4KVW

W6ZD, K0UO, PY2NEA and 1 other person like this.
  13. UN7JID

UN7JID Ham Member QRZ Page

The main thing is that they upload the logs

N8ZI likes this.
  14. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

The "main thing" will be they all got safely off the island when it's all done and safely back home.

Dave
    W7UUU

K8PG, WD5GWY, AE8EM and 3 others like this.
  15. N6TDG

N6TDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Going to start calling you Happy Hooligan! A rare breed indeed.