ad: QuirkyQRP-1

$20,000 Dream Station Prize at Hamvention 2022

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Apr 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, A luxury station for one third of its value is a big deterent.
    Especially if you factor in, It's not the brand of choice!

2. N8QQE

N8QQE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Heck, Id take a station worth way less than that, lol, but that sure is a beauty of a rig... going to be one real happy recipient!

3. WA2VJL

WA2VJL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Now for the good stuff:
    1. Can you afford to pay the sales tax (at 8.25% that's: $1650.00)
    2. Do you have enough deductions to avoid paying full income tax and other taxes come next January on this prize. Remember, IRS calls winning a prize as income!
    3. will winning this prize affect your Social Security or any VA benefits you now have (exempt form co-pay, etc. ).
    A Lot to ponder!

K2WH and KE0GXN like this.
  4. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope someone here on the Zed wins it!

Then I look forward to the thread they start about how disappointed they are with packaging, time of delivery and fact that the receiver on it is not as good as Yaesu’s. ;)

VK6APZ/SK2022 and K7IWW like this.
  5. K7IWW

K7IWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not to mention that the IRS will want income tax. Usually, large prizes (this qualifies, I think) are awarded with an IRS form and I suppose this prize would also be reported to IRS by Hamvention. Guessing that the fed income tax would be around $3,000. Can any CPAs, tax lawyers or tax professionals elucidate?

6. K7IWW

K7IWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Haha yeah, you know it!

KE0GXN likes this.
  7. KI5HNX

KI5HNX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just don't enter if you're worried about it! Unbelieveable!!! It's that simple!

W7UUU likes this.
  8. W2CSI

W2CSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the Donation that is for sure a Dream station!
    W2CSI

9. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Generally, the U.S. federal government taxes prizes, awards, sweepstakes, raffle and lottery winnings, and other similar types of income as ordinary income, no matter the amount. Merchandise or products won as a prize or award will be considered at the fair market value and could be considered taxable income. The IRS taxes prizes (merchandise) or prize monies as ordinary income. This means that whatever percentage you are taxed for your regular income, that same rate will apply to the prize you received.

N2EY likes this.
  10. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never heard of sales tax being charged on a raffle prize (though I suppose there are some states that are so Draconian that they might try that). The Uniform Sales and Use Tax pact doesn't require it. However, you might be on the hook for income tax if you were sent a Form 1099-MISC (which is the form you typically get if you have large gambling winnings).

Not too worried about this, though, because apparently I can't enter. With the BA.2 variant of SARS-CoV-2 breaking out in clusters, BA.4 and BA.5 coming, airlines removing all masking requirements, the virus evolving to evade vaccines, and vaccine makers and the government endangering public health by failing to introduce vaccines that are targeted against any new variants, I'm not gonna fly on a commercial airline or attend a large event in person right now. Hope folks have fun and that many of my brother and sister hams are not infected!

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    DM2TT likes this.
  11. WB4YAL

WB4YAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Already got that radio...can they just give me the money ? :)

KE0GXN likes this.
  12. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

John, how does it compare to the other rigs in your shack?

13. KJ7MX

KJ7MX Ham Member QRZ Page

Only on the zed could a really cool giveaway turn into pure unadultered chaos for the winner. Good grief.

N2EY, W1YW and KE8QEP like this.
  14. W9YW

W9YW Moderator Emeritus QRZ Page

Yeah, you guys stay home and worry about the taxes on it. Reduces the pool of contestants.

Maybe I'll win it. I'll gladly pay the taxes on it. 1099-Misc? Sales tax? Not a problem. Gimme.

73 Tom W9YW

N2EY and W1YW like this.
  15. WB4YAL

WB4YAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Of the three, the Icom 7851 is the best overall for my operating style. The ergonomics are nice, the operating flexibility is good and the receiver is the most pleasant to listen to for long periods of time. I have been very fortunate to be able to own all three of those titans and use them in my hamshack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.