ad: CQMM-1

$20,000 Dream Station Prize at Hamvention 2022

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Apr 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC5NYO

KC5NYO Ham Member QRZ Page

Attached Files:

KE0GXN likes this.
  2. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a Dream Station for those who desire to own the Very Best & not those following along trying to catch up with ICOM.If you have a low bar for quality then Kenwood & Yaesu may be OK but not for some of us.

Clayton
    W4KVW

W2TB, KF2M, W8NDB and 1 other person like this.
  3. VY1RW

VY1RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t have a Yaesu radio but I heard that the Yaesu ftdx 101d has the best receiver in any of the radios that was tested by Rob Sherwood.

KE0GXN likes this.
  4. AI5DQ

AI5DQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the first things I noticed about the hobby when I got into just a very short year ago. Luckily, I have thick skin from other hobbies with similar gatekeepers and armchair intellects or I would have missed out on all of the fun I've had in the hobby in just a brief period of time.

I have since made it my personal goal to point these types of people and behaviors out to any potential new ham considering the hobby so as to hopefully keep them interested even after they've had a "run in".

AA0ZX likes this.
  5. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Sweet Christmas in May!!!

I might just have to make the road-trip.

6. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let me guess, Icom fanboy?:oops:

KD8DWO likes this.
  7. KE0GXN

And not to mention the gas to get there and back!

8. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I only use the BEST brands what's your excuse? A lot of people can't have the BEST so the Settle for what's left. LOL ICOM is KING & as a Famous SK once said,It's Good to be KING! I bet you don't know who he was either. {:>) You may read my QRZ.com Bio & not even need to guess what I run.

Clayton
    W4KVW

KE0GXN likes this.
  9. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Mel Brooks said it, Tom Petty said it, Yul Brynner said it, some say that Homer had the phrase in his writings, and the phrase appeared as a title for the 13th episode of the 8th season of Stargate SG-1
    :)

Walk through the gate and really be a King :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  10. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

You're absolutely correct. Somehow I got prizes and inheritance type gifts mixed up in my brain. Probably the late hour of posting. Could also be that the only thing I ever won at a hamfest in the roughly 40 years of going was a bag of Chinese PL-259's. No one handed me any tax forms :p
    So, I still think receiver is also on the hook for state tax. And, if winner is not present, who picks up the shipping charge.

KK9W likes this.
  11. KE0GXN

No excuses here brother, I like using the best I can get to. Maybe one day when I grow up I can run big boys.

Either way, have fun running with the KING OM. :D

W4KVW likes this.
  12. K8TS

K8TS Ham Member QRZ Page

13. K8TS

K8TS Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no CW key?

14. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I had an IC-7800 when they first came out years ago and it was a great radio but the fact is, my FTdx10 at my 2nd QTH in SD has a better receiver than the IC-7851 for a fraction of the price. Were I to win this I'd sell the IC-7851 and buy any one of the really nice transceivers available today (the FTdx101MP maybe? I have one of those and it has the best receiver by far of either the IC-7851 or Kenwood 990S for much less money!) and get a nice amplifier as well and have some money left over to pay the taxes.

The 7851 is simply no longer worth the money it costs given the number of other rigs that have as good if not better performance for a fraction of the cost. But, to each his own. The 7851 DOES have a lot of BLING, if that's your thing.

............Bob

KE0GXN likes this.
  15. WA4KCN

WA4KCN Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood is discontinuing the 990. What a short life she lived.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.