ad: Halibut-1

Icom IC-705 Update, antennas & portable power

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Apr 10, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. G4ICD

G4ICD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm! a little harsh, obviously you live on another planet! Lets get back to the thread in question without all the rambles. The Icom IC 705..........

China can and does produce some very good eq and are innovative, they make many other items under licence for many Companies, even in the USA. But you do need QC in charge (maybe MFJ USA could learn something from them on how to solder).
    I am involved in Commercial Comms eq and have seen some superbly designed and built equipment made in China including ICOM Inc, there is lots of junk as well but they are getting there and like Samsung and others in S Korea did the Chinese will get to the top eventually given time.

www.rfcomms.co.uk

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  2. KB9OAK

KB9OAK Ham Member QRZ Page

It all depends. When the company I worked for tried to produce items for the Asian region in China, it was a constant battle to keep them from doing whatever they wanted when nobody was looking. They would demonstrate excellent first run samples, then 2 months later tolerances would be all over the place. They finally gave up on the whole idea.

3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I work in powdered metal parts fabrication, sintering, and secondary operations. The company lost several accounts to the Chinese. In all cases, between 12 and 18 months later they came back to us with their tails between their legs. And in all cases, the problem was the same: failure to maintain specifications.

During a domestic powdered metal shortage a year or two ago, in order to meet delivery commitments we tried some Chinese powder. Turned out being absolute crap. Couldn't get consistent press runs (dimensions, hardness, foreign object debris) or sinter runs (dimensions, ductility, blow holes). Lesson learned. Buy American.

US7IGN and KB9OAK like this.
  4. K8HIT

K8HIT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had similar experiences with importing from China. 3 orders, everything was great, fourth order, no heat treating, parts were too big. Expecting a replacement order next week. I hope it's back up to standards.

5. NE6H

NE6H Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good info. Thanks for the post. Very informative as I am just getting into QRP using my Yaesu FT817nd. I especially liked the info on the PowerFilm solar panel which I am considering for purchase. I have a 15AH motorcycle battery that it should work well with. Right now I am using a Buddipole portable antenna which is working very well for 20 and 40m. However, I would like to get some kind of portable antenna for 80m. Buddipole recommends a vertical antenna with counterpoise on 80m. Any recommendations?
    73, NE6H Norm

6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the countryside like where you plan on operating? Any trees? If so, any size to 'em?

Buddipole recommends Buddipole. ;)

US7IGN and KB9OAK like this.
  7. G4ICD

I would like to get some kind of portable antenna for 80m. Buddipole recommends a vertical antenna with counterpoise on 80m. Any recommendations?

Just emailed you direct, a Ham stick for 80 mtrs on a mini tripod and a counterpoise, $25?? or a multi band resonant end fed if you have a large tree to lob it up, see K1RF pdf, several bands from 1 wire using harmonics from a 49/1 or 64/1 unit which you can make for $20 for QRP.
    Geoff
    G4ICD/GJ4ICD
    www.rfcomms.co.uk

KD6RMS likes this.
  8. KD6RMS

KD6RMS Ham Member QRZ Page

I use 2 ham sticks screwed into an MFJ-347 bracket as a portable horizontal dipole on a Comet telescopic mast. During contests/Field Day the last few years, from Los Angeles I made multiple 100w 75m SSB contacts with Hawaii. Next time I hope to be out there during hours with a dark path to VK & JA.

9. F4FSG

F4FSG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi there !
    I have a Yaesu FT 817 ND and it have most effective DSP system... :)
    Much better than the FT 991 DSP... :-(

10. LU7DY

LU7DY Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry x my translated English, the great mistake of this equipment is not to have an automatic antenna tuner, I prefer it to that battery that lasts less than an ice cream in the sun, the icom 703 was the best Japanese qrp equipment that was manufactured and had at, I repeat an irreparable horror

US7IGN likes this.
  11. G4ICD

Agree on the comments on the Icom IC703, I still have one and it is being used in my tests at present, still awaiting the IC705 so I can do comparison tests. If you go to www.rfcomms.co.uk/gb1 you can follow the reports and information with other radios on the tests. I will update weekly as busy at present. PS there's a nice tuner/matcher on the listed page much cheaper than Elecraft or you can buy a similar kit for $40 and add a case
    Geoff G4ICD/GJ4ICD

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  12. KE6MAK

KE6MAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, must be aftermarket as the 817nd has noise blanker and IF shift only.

Cheers,
    Howard

13. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems to me that you are confusing something designed by others and done by the Chinese with what the Chinese themselves designed, who still only know how to steal and copy, and their latest own inventions were gunpowder, paper and coronavirus ...

14. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good clarification. I agree with the use of the vertical on 80. Mine consists of three wires 21 meters long each. One is up on a tree branch and two are to the sides. So how it heard on it in Ukraine.

WN1MB likes this.
  15. G4ICD

Correct Howard, there is no DSP system on FT817ND or FT818ND. The DSP button in the menu is for the larger DISPLAY,