ad: wmr-1

A quad band with 220mhz under $100

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, May 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. NA5A

NA5A Ham Member QRZ Page

That's really not a fair statement. People have their reasons for buying these radios. Some Chinese radios have gotten pretty good over the years.

I bought this radio as the QYT KT-7900d for $84 on Ebay. I have a PILE of Japanese mobile radios including 3 Icom IC-7000's . I bought this radio to put in my truck, and leave it there. If it gets stolen, it will be a lot less painful than if I lose a Japanese radio.

As for the radio, it is a pain to program as all Chinese radios are. It took me a while to figure it out. The only flaw I've found with the radio is it has internally generated spurs. In the Houston area, I like to use the 442.0 repeater and it has a spur that keeps the squelch open which is very irritating. For that alone I would not recommend this radio. If that is not an issue for you, then it works well. The receive and transmit audio are very nice.
    73s
    Charles

WU8Y likes this.
  2. N8FF

N8FF Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not like much ham gear is made here in the US, so we might as well go for the best deal we can get. Check the back of your Japanese gear, much of that is made in China these days.
    The reason these are so available is that every taxi and business vehicle is a potential customer and it's a massive market, the ham market happens to be a decent side market but I doubt they would do this just for us. Same reason they don't bother with all mode or HF markets, they aren't going to waste their time on a small market like the amateur market

WU8Y and AK5B like this.
  3. W4KSL

W4KSL Ham Member QRZ Page

Amazon has the radio listed as a dual band transmit. 4 band receive.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  4. M6SBN

M6SBN Ham Member QRZ Page

cheap Chinese bought one and was awful and the mic was rubbish, so I spent a little more and bought
    a CRT 7U for 70cm and it works well you only get what you pay for;)

KT5OT likes this.
  5. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Bao Feng, and other Chinese radios, while type accepted for part 95 are not recommended for use and licensing on Part 95. They should be taken off the list of accepted radios.

The only other, it seems, course is to get the big 4 radios and get the clean cab setups foor them for RR use. Been down that road. It is a rocky road to take. Will never do that again.

However, I like the TYT radios for DMR use. Have two of the TYT MD-380s. They work great.
    Also, I have one of the Connect Systems CS800 radios for 440MHz. Works great after I took it to the Hamvention and met with Chris from CSI and he fixed the bad code plug problem that I had.

If you are looking for a great DMR radio that's dual band; they have quite a good collection of them and they are really well-made gear. Check them out.

6. W6NYA

W6NYA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not very helpful to the discussion.......

KD0TLS, K3RW, AF7EC and 2 others like this.
  7. W4KSL

In the video he says it transmits on all 4 bands but the specs say the radio transmits on two bands. Are the specs wrong? I was thinking about getting one for the 220.

8. KZ4USA

KZ4USA Ham Member QRZ Page

I pass the China stuff

KT5OT likes this.
  9. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What? No Kung Pao Chicken, Szechuan Spicy Shrimp, Garlic Spinach, Ma Po Tofu or Mongolian Beef? Just hold the MSG and I'll have seconds!

10. AK5B

Surprised no one has answered this yet---I bet a lot are considering this for expressly that purpose. Used 220 rigs or 736Rs with that band are hard to come by. Hopefully someone will come forth that actually knows the answer.

73, Jeff

11. K6RF

K6RF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

12. W4KSL

I'm guessing it's a dual band radio. The box says dual band with quad band receive. Conventional thinking says it's a 2 meter/440 but I may be wrong.

IMG_2637.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    AK5B likes this.
  13. AK5B

Aha! Thanks for posting that Mark---now we all know! Kind of too good to be true was my first hunch...

73, Jeff

14. KA0JW

KA0JW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is it that the Chinese call their boats....Oh yes they call them JUNKs. You get what you pay for. Just my two Yens worth.

15. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

In the video it is shown transmitting on the 222 and 350 bands, so I would think that it probably transmits on all 4 bands, unless the guy who did the video is punking us.