ad: cq2k-1

A quad band with 220mhz under $100

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, May 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In this world of throwaways, wonder what K5FLU just might have up his sleeve. Hard to believe he's simply letting this opportunity to pass by and not jumping on the bandwagon.

2. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a guy on Ebay selling 220mhz transverter kits. Assembled, about $100. ALL MODE.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222-to-28-M...347189?hash=item33b6bfad75:g:FpwAAOSwShJXLa3Q

Most people already have a 2/440 capability. I say get the transverter kit, and build it or have it assembled, and by-pass all this 350mhz silliness. Can't vouch for the kit, but a couple of us are looking at them and pending some test results, I'll be getting one too.

3. NA5A

NA5A Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the QYT KT-7900 version of this radio. It transmits on all bands, not just receive. The audio both on receive and transmit is very nice. Mine has spurs on some frequencies which happens to fall right on top of a repeater I like to use. It still works but keeps the squelch open. I haven't found the receive to lack sensitivity as on some Chinese radios. I have had mine for over 6 months and it hasn't had any issues. The radio is difficult to program manually as most of the Chinese radios are.

W4KSL likes this.
  4. K3CRM

K3CRM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Would love to see your motorcycle rig. Just slung a Baofeng over windshield of my bike the other day with cheap helmet mic and speakers. I didn't love it so removed it all.
    Ride Safe! 73, Cliff

5. KK4ITN

KK4ITN Ham Member QRZ Page

Take this radio off QRZ. Don't lower yourself into buying one, you'll be sorry if you do! Or if you do buy it buy it from Amazon so you can get your money back in 30 days! KK4ITN

6. K3CRM

K3CRM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Would love to see your Motorcycle set up and learn more about your helmet gear. My cheap set up didn't cut it for me. Thanks! 73, Cliff

7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, here is what I found out.

The radio does indeed transmit on all 4 bands. And the sensitivity is good on all 4 bands. Power is pretty much what was reported, close to 25 watts on VHF and 220, and around 18 watts or so on UHF. Low power doesn't seem to be a whole lot different than high power, around half power of high. Not as low as 5 watts as it is supposed to be, at least on mine. The power cable that comes with it has an attached cigarette lighter plug, but the power cable itself is pretty small gauge wire, maybe number 18 or so. Radio draws less than 5 amps on high power TX, so that may not be much of a problem.

Audio RX and TX seems good, too. Frequency tolerance is "OK", slightly high on all bands by about 1.2ppm or so. Not bad. I did not put it on an antenna to test on the air, so I don't have actual audio reports from others, or if it is overloaded by nearby strong signals.

Now the bad part. The radio only seems to have a LPF on the TX side above 500MHz or so. IOW, the second harmonic of 2M and 220 is very strong, maybe only 25 dB or so below the carrier. The third harmonic of 2M is bad as well, the third harmonic of 220 is probably right at a minimum acceptable attenuation, more would be better. UHF band harmonics are down quite a bit. My guess is that the same PA is used from 140-480MHz, and no additional LPFs are switched in on the lower frequencies.

KD0TLS, WJ4U, AK5B and 2 others like this.
  8. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Only useful bands on that radio for me would be the 2m and 70cm, but there's already a large number of radios for those bands. If there was a radio for 68-88MHz and the 23cm band with all modes then it would be interesting.

And I also would like a few additional features like selcall with the 5-tone CCIR, or even extended to the 11-tone and 16 tone (11-tone with 5-tone repeater opening)

9. KE8BII

KE8BII Ham Member QRZ Page

I asked an insider of the ham rig industry in China before, he said most of these rigs are modified from HTs. They use the circuit board in HTs and add an amplifier on it. Good for just talk and having fun, but if you want more reliability, ignore them.
    Most of these manufacturers are small companies and only interested in how to earn some money as fast and as much as possible, plus the law enforcement of copyright is pretty poor in China, so if they find some products sells very well, they just copy/clone using cheap and low quality parts and sell them(Saving the money from product development and components). That's the reason for no one want to develop their own product too, they know that their designs will get copied by others later.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  10. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

I did test transmit on all 4 bands in the video..... Did you happen to watch the video?

11. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I watched the video without my sound being on (run the audio from my computer into my sound system which requires turning on four different components across the room); thanks for the info!

12. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

its funny to hear some off the bad fake reports of the china radios. for thse who wants one they work just fine and pay no attention to the fake negative reports..............facts is a fact those is fake reports.....

13. W4KSL

W4KSL Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video and review! Thanks for posting.
    There was a little confusion on the specs from the factory. The specs say dual band transmit and quad band receive. The one in the review obviously transmits on all 4 bands just couldn't figure out why they spec at dual band transmit and quad band receive if they transmit on all four bands.

14. K1KOB

K1KOB Ham Member QRZ Page

222 - 225 IS a valid HAM band !!!

KD0TLS likes this.
  15. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

That's right. The ham band ends at 225 MHz. What part of that do you not understand?