ad: M2Ant-1

FCC ISSUES NPRM TO ELIMINATE CODE REQUIREMENT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W9GRN

W9GRN QRZ Member QRZ Page

Let me add one for December.Thankyou! [​IMG]

2. KD5HLG

KD5HLG Ham Member QRZ Page

ITS SAD to find out there are still people out there  who donot want people like my self ,who after having been in electronics for more than 40 yrs, passed 22 US NAVY electronics schools with the highest possiable scores, was trusted to trans/rec on military for 20 yrs, but  because i have some sort of mintle block as well as a hearing problem caused by jet, they dont think i qualify to be on HF because they passed code and i cant this is a grose ingust to me. KD5HLG 73'S [​IMG]

3. KD5HLG

KD5HLG Ham Member QRZ Page

ITS SAD to find out there are still people out there having donot want people like my self who after having been in electronics for more than 40 yrs, passed 22 US NAVY electronics schools with the highest possiable scores, was trusted to trans/rec on military for 20 yrs, but because i have some sort of mintle block as well as a hearing problem caused by jet, they dont think i qualify to be on HF because they passed code and i cant this is a grose ingust to me. KD5HLG 73'S

4. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

National Weather Service
    US Postal Service
    Internal Revenue Service
    National Park Service
    Educational Testing Service
    Public Broadcasting Service
    USDA Forest Service
    US Fish and Wildlife Service
    US Customs Service
    BBC World Service
    United States Secret Service
    Juggling Information Service
    Selective Service System
    United States Marshals Service
    Vision Service Plan
    Natural Resources Conservation Service
    Her Majesty's Courts Service
    National Technical Information Service
    Immigration and Naturalization Service
    Church World Service
    Service Corps Of Retired Executives
    The Cybercast News Service
    Religion News Service
    Small Business Service
    American Jewish World Service
    Pacific News Service
    New Zealand Immigration Service
    The Pension Service
    The National Blood Service
    German Academic Exchange Service
    Environmental Health Information Service

As seen in the short list above, there are a lot of "Services". Amateurs seem to be alone in thinking theirs is a Gov't Service when there is no legal right too. Small wonder some of us carry 'badges'.

5. KD5NCO

KD5NCO Ham Member QRZ Page

n2nh Posted: Nov. 22 2005,01:01  
    -----------------------------------------------
    Okay General UZR.  I'm just a dumb Extra, but it seems that everybody here still wants to be one.

Hamming is what you want it to be.  Hamming is what you make it.  It can be a "service" or a "hobby".  When the FCC calls it a service, it's basically just the frequencies set aside for this bunch of licensees.  

Hams that have called Amateur Radio a 'Hobby':

W9UWL
    KD5CLK
    K6BBC...
    (long list removed for reading clarity)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    n2nh Posted: Mar. 06 2006,12:50  

National Weather Service
    US Postal Service
    Internal Revenue Service
    National Park Service
    German Academic Exchange Service
    Environmental Health Information Service....
    (long list removed for reading clarity)

As seen in the short list above, there are a lot of "Services".  Amateurs seem to be alone in thinking theirs is a Gov't Service when there is no legal right too.  Small wonder some of us carry 'badges'.

So stewing about Hobby vs. Service for 3 1/2 months OM?

Hummmm  who woulda thunk it! (grin)

Sure wish the FCC would post that R&O...Maybe when they meet this Friday it will be on the agenda.

6. N2MMM

N2MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never seen such a bunch of children. The FCC will sell out the Amateur frequencies to their cronies in a heartbeat the second they think they could get away with it. the Amateur community had better stand together and learn to LOVE the NO CODE R&O.

7. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

When it's a done deal. Time will tell. It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings. Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes. Removal of tag prohibited by law. There are WMD's in Iraq. If man could fly, God would've given him wings...

Gullibility runs in packs.

Besides, I think you'd look good with a nice shiny "No Code Ham Operator" badge on. The FCC did an NPRM and all I got was this shirt. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. KD5NCO

Well the FCC did not act on it yesterday, Friday 17th, and they have not posted the agenda for April yet. They only meet about every two weeks.

9. KD5NCO

Is iconboard broken

I know there are posts after 18 Mar 06 on this thread?

10. K3ROJ/SK2024

K3ROJ/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

CW going strong in 2010

Well, here it is January 2010 and the bands are packed with CW, more than in 2005. In the last 2 years, I have worked over 4,000 CW stations on 80, 40, 20, 17 and 15 metres. I believe most hams that wanted CW to go are the ones using FM repeaters, never really getting into amateur radio as such, just wanting to chat, never knowing that feeling of accomplishment by learning the code.

11. W0DV

W0DV Ham Member QRZ Page

5 wpm Extra here :)

I hate VHF/UHF. I use them very seldom.
    I don't need CW to feel a sense of accomplishement. Children learn CW quicker than adults do, it isn't a big deal. It's just a mode.

Here is a list of things that are important to me and give me a sense of accomplishment.

Raising 3 kids
    being married for 26 years.
    graduating from college
    having a good job
    having a nice home.

CW doesn't come close, LOL. It's up there with making paper airplanes.

12. AB1GA

AB1GA Guest

Okay, here it goes everybody:

a. If you like CW, use it, enjoy it, but let's not use it as a tool for self-approval at the expense of unnecessary criticism of others.

b. If you hate CW, ignore it, but please remember that the only cooties associated with CW are sideswiper keys, and they aren't catchy.

Perhaps this thread could be given the heave-ho as part of the ongoing housecleaning process. :mad:

13. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I second that :)

14. W0DV

W0DV Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not hate CW and I seldom use it. It is a mode. Nothing more, nothing less.
    I am into the hobby for my own personal enjoyment. I like to build power supplies, home brew antennas. My mode of choice is SSB. If someone else doesn't like it then they should stay quiet, period.

Should the thread be shut down? nah. Just ban the person who decided that it needed to be revived in spite of recent warnings about flaming over the CW issue. May of 2006 was the last post of this thread until someone decided it needed gasoline thrown on it. Hmmm, why is that?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  15. WB1HJS

WB1HJS Ham Member QRZ Page

Coming back into the hobby after 16 years out, just in time to find out the code requirement was eliminated -- I'm astounded by the activity on CW, the amount of people learning it on their own because they want to, and the nets on HF to help them learn. I think the decision to eliminate the requirement was sound -- I didn't always.

PS -- I don't venture onto FM repeaters.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.