ad: Flexradio-1

FCC ISSUES NPRM TO ELIMINATE CODE REQUIREMENT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KD5NCO

KD5NCO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well all I can say about you KB0UZR  and your cheering section KE7DSY is that both of you have no clue about the rank and file members of American Society. You need to stop watching CNN, MSNBC, and get off chat rooms and forums, and go travel across America a few times. (I do several times every year). There are over 250 MILLION citizens and MOST of them have to work very hard to get where ever they are.

To equate dropping a simple 5wpm Element 1 International Morse Code test as some how now giving away free licenses is just a crock of crap and you both know it. And don't give any BS about the test are too easy....You and every citizen is entitled to review the question pools, submit new questions, and recommend new focus or subject areas. It is like voting...if you don't vote then shut the hell up you lost your right to bitch. If you are not active in the testing process then you must accept it as it is.

To assume every one is whining and crying to get in the Amateur radio club but can't because of the code test, is pure nonsense. There is NO group of people complaining that it is too hard to get in. They don't want in because we in-fight and belly ache about all the newbies, LIDs, and dumb asses. Once they get THAT message, there is NOTHING of value for them here that is worth the aggravation of learning a MODE they have no interest in and do not see relevance in.

That does NOT mean CW and code are irrelevant...just that it is irrelevant to their potential desire to belong to the club.

We are trying to RECRUIT new, younger, ARS members and in order to make the ARS relevant the Old Guard Leadership is attempting to De-Emphasize the mundane boring aspects of Ham radio and Emphasize the cool, relevant, cutting edge technologies and capabilities.

There is no problem once we capture their imagination, (get them hooked), and on the path of learning all things wireless, that some where you CW aficionados can't entice a few (or many) to find that Morse Code opens a few more capabilities and curiosities.

But OH no! You just rant, and strut around, and pound your chest with some arrogant notion that YOU had to learn code so to be in your club everybody should.

Stop pounding that hard work drum also ... what is it?Code is very hard to do so it is worth it. Or is it so easy that two 8 year old girls can do it...so any body can.
    Really just what is your collective Pro-code message?

And if anyone dares to disagree, then you fall back to the childish position that they ALL must be Lazy crybaby, dumbed Down idiots that are not worthy of being in the ARS.

Bottom line gents, is that there is no crowd of new folks trying to break into the ARS.... They are NOT lined up at the gate waiting admission.

Do not let the ten or twenty NO-CODE posters here,(who have grown tired of the bitter name calling so resort to pulling your chain), lead you to believe that there is a vast horde of LIDs and CB 10-4 good Buddy folks waiting to break down the door....

They are not there, and those few that are could care less about the ARS. The service has plenty of not so good people and always will. This test NEVER kept them out even when it was 20 wpm both send and receive.

WE are trying to get new blood to line up, enter, look around.

We are trying to make an environment where many will want to stay and grow and learn and some day have these argument for them selves with the FCC and defend the ARS from a REAL threat. (loosing the Element 1 Test is NOT a threat)

So your gimme.gimme.gimme crap and claims that all new comers are lazy and dumb is counter productive, wrong minded and hurts the ARS.

You want to go poke your finger on the VEC, FCC, ARRL, and NCI chest, you go right ahead. But stop with the false characterization of half the current ARS membership, you are really starting to piss a lot of us off.

With that I shall no don my nomex and see if we can't get this puppy to 500 pages (some ones Else's dream not mine)

2. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Holy crap!
    The only thing I have been saying is that a man just does what it takes to get what they want. Then I said that the character of men aren't the same now when I was young. (back bone)

That's my opinion.

Did I say YOUR name? Did I mention you specifically?

I'm talking about people in general, and you think I'm talking specifically about you. I don't remember bringing your name up. I'm not attacking any one here.

All I'm doing is saying my opinion. I have a right to my opinion and you have your right to yours.

3. KD5NCO

Holy crap

Are you telling me that in all your 3000 posts you never gained the ability to read, comprehend, be introspective?

Is it not your post sir that has the Gimme Gimme Gimme tag lines prominently displayed? Since this is a public forum read world wide I assume you intended those words to apply to all that fall into your narrow view of what constitutes a real Ham. Do I need to slog through all your past posts and show you your own words?

Hey since you are so adept at copying the entire post I just wrote, then how about you do me the courtesy of reading the entire text and just try a little to see what it is you write that prompts me to respond.

Holy Crap indeed!

4. W0UZR

All I'm doing is saying my opinion. It appears all you want to do is argue and fight with someone.

Go find someone else to do it with!

5. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like the <span style='color:darkred'>Seaboard AIR Line.</span>
    Not sure though.

6. KD5NCO

Thank you Samantha 2e1dau you are very kind. I am a fan of your few posts in other threads.

For the record I want the ARS preserved!

I still have a good 30 40 years left around here. I want my great grand children to have the opportunity to experience this wonderful hobby, vocation, and service.

I am pretty sure some day I will kick back and develop a "fist" and have many fun NOSTALGIC CW propagated Morse Code chats with distant folks.

I am not anti code, But I am supportive of the logic the FCC, ARRL, VEC and NCI presented for the elimination of the Element 1 test. I personally would have preferred the compromise of retaining it for Extra class. The logic being the real gain of that License is extra CW spectrum.

I will support with all my energy the Pro_code folks if they find them selves in a spectrum war for those band segments that are usually  CW prime real estate.

What I am very vocal about is the extremely bad form the pro-code folks show here on this very public world wide forum.

I would actually rather the debate was on the air at least there the audience is dramatically limited compared to the views this thread alone gets.

My ultimate wish is that all the Older gentlemen I have met associated with the ARS in the last 40 years step up and tell their peers to stop the  Extra Lite, dummied down Tech, hateful, mean spirited bashing of fellow ARS members.

I will say it again for those that pretend to be deaf and are unable to comprehend the written word (my o my that sound very futile).

The request to the FCC for the elimination of the Element 1 Test did NOT come from any group of new licensed or Un-licensed citizens. The proposals all came from Licensed, Code Tested Amateurs who belong to the ARRL, VEC, and NCI. and their argument was compelling enough that the IRU and now the FCC have agreed with the request.

There is evidence right here on QRZ that many currently licensed Techs have committed to hurry up and get the code test completed before the new rule is in effect.

There are a great number of techs that are pro code.

MOST of you OM who have been here more then 10 years bear a LOT of responsibility for the current state of the ARS. You mostly abdicated to what ever the ARRL chose to do. (I have seen the election results in QST a magazine I have been reading since I was 16 years old). You failed to be decisively engaged in the question pool process. I know because I have had several conversations with one of the members on the committee. Getting any feedback from the at large Amateur community was and is almost non-existent. If you are reading this and you did contribute have pride you are in a very small group of engaged ARS members.

Having all this emotional energy and strong "save the ARS opinions" and NOT being a voting member of the ARRL is foolish in my opinion. There is NO other organized group that has the impact that they do. Being on the outside sniping is a waste of your energy.

7. N2MMM

N2MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

They ran the Silver Meteor and the famous Orange Blossom special.

8. KE7DSY

KE7DSY Guest

Ouch..... should've donned a flame-retardant suit before my last post. You read way too much into what I said there. I never once called anyone names, but if I wanted to, I'd have come right out into the open and done so. I still stand by what I said before though, that society as a whole has gone from earning what they get to believing they are entitled to it. That applies to almost anything in life. And just because I agree with a point someone made doesn't make me a "cheering section"

I am still a technician-class operator (got my ticket in April) but I believe that the requirement is just fine the way it is. Whether or not Element 1 goes away, at the end of the day, we will all still be bound together by our love for the ARS. While simplifying the requirements doesn't lessen the achievement of earning HF priveleges and doesn't make anyone any less of a ham (again, I never have said it would), I see nothing wrong with keeping it as a prerequisite to upgrade.

One final thought: just because every other country does something, does that make it the right decision for us too?

<donning flame-retardant suit and bracing for the inevitable>

9. W0UZR

Don't say anything to him.
       He might hurl insults at you too. Like he did with me.

10. N0OV

N0OV Guest

What? Have people finally run out of opinions on this topic? I guess after 477 pages all that could be said, has been said

11. W0UZR

<No, I have a quite a bit to say. but I would be doing better good to pound my head against the wall, because that's how much good it does to convince someone that refuses reproof, or discipline, or instruction. And how people that won't listen to their elders, or respect their elders. Or people that will just do what it takesf and not try to change the whole testing structure like a man. Anyway, I'm more worried how the hell I'm going to heat my house this winter with gas prices going up another dollar or 3.....>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

The L & N ran the "Humming Bird". You didn't have to prove you could recieve Morse to buy a ticket either.

13. N2MMM

N2MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

"You didn't have to prove you could recieve Morse to buy a ticket either".

Of course the train dispatchers had to be literate in American Morse to hold their jobs (At least until 65 years ago when the L&N trashed their old telegraph instruments and replaced them with telephones.)

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello Sirs,
    I have posted this elsewhere but thought you might Enjoy it?[​IMG]

To Help you Improve your On Air ETIQUETTE!!

PROTOCOL AND ETIQUETTE FOR AMATEURS
    With M3s and 2E1s (No Code Generals/Extras) or whatever they are flooding onto the HF bands, I thought a few words on protocol and etiquette might be in order. It’s all too easy to get onto 20 metres and start loading up and calling CQ, but there are such things as politeness and gentlemanly behaviour.

HOW TO OPERATE ON 2 METRES
    You call CQ on channel S20. You make a contact and want to QSY to channel 22. This is how it’s done. You move to CH22 and ask whether the frequency is in use. Now, this is where most amateurs go wrong. If someone comes back and says that it IS in use, you DO NOT return to S20. You simply use the channel anyway and, if the station already there asks you to QSY, you tell him to sod off.

THE CORRECT USE OF 20 METRES
    You decide to have a go on 20 metres but, first, you need to tune up the ATU. The band is pretty busy with nowhere to tune up, let alone call CQ. You don't have a dummy load because they are expensive and why should you waste good money on a fat resistor when you could spend it on booze? The good radio amateur loads up his aerial on full power on any old frequency within the band. No doubt some old sod will start complaining, but that is his prerogative. When tuning is complete, you then begin to call CQ, hopefully jamming out the complaining station. From experience, you know that he will go away if you persist.
    Another trick used by the Experienced Amateur to clear a busy frequency is to make strange noises and keep whistling until the frequency is vacant. Of course, you don’t let on that it was you behaving like an arse. You wait until all goes quiet, and then ask whether the frequency is in use. Should the station previously occupying the frequency answer you, all you say is, nothing heard, and then begin your CQ. Of course, the radio amateur with real experience doesn't give his call sign when trying to clear a busy frequency. All he wants is the frequency, not a letter from the RA (FCC) admonishing him.

WHAT TO DO IF YOU CAN'T FORCE YOUR WAY ON TO A BAND
    You'd like to have a go on 80 metres but the band is packed. Wait a minute! There seems to be plenty of space at the bottom end of the band - apart from some sort of bleeping noises. Recalling an old war film you saw, you reckon that this could be CW. No problem. CW is a thing of the past so you load up and begin your CQ. No doubt some miserable old Sod will ask you to QSY. The good radio amateur increases power, winds up the speech processor and over-drives his transmitter... And the miserable old Sod goes away.

THE CORRECT USE OF 2 METRE REPEATERS
    The good radio amateur runs full power when working through his local repeater. A lot of hard work has gone into your local repeater and there's no point in allowing some arse to go over the top of you. Bear in mind that repeaters are there to be abused. A weak mobile station trying to gain access should be denied access at any cost. And remember, fellow radio amateurs just love listening to your music. You might even consider wiring your music system directly into your 2 metre rig. This will eliminate your unintentional giggles being picked up by your microphone.

ENJOY YOUR HOBBY TO THE FULL
    Amateur radio is a fine hobby. But it can become boring at times. The keen radio amateur knows how to brighten up those dull times. He finds a QSO going on between a couple of M3s who are new to HF. Gleefully, he breaks in with the odd derogatory comment. To begin with, he might suggest that one M3 is running more than 10 watts. If this doesn't fire up an argument, he then suggests that the M3 wouldn't have a clue as to his power. To add fuel to the fire, he comments on peak envelope power in an effort to make out that the M3 is thick. As a last resort, he tells the M3 that he should go back to CB, where he belongs. After an enjoyable ten minutes or so, the radio amateur has brightened up his hobby and can sit back and grin.

DEALING WITH PIRATES
    The average radio amateur has worked hard to get his ticket. And nothing pisses him off more than pirates. The clever radio amateur leaves 40 metres and slips down to 6.6mHz, where the pirates are having a chat. Loading up on top of the pirates with 100 watts, the radio amateur then starts whistling. Chucking in such comments as, bloody pirates, makes the amateur feel good. These people have no right to be there and it's the radio amateur's duty to tell them so.
    The fact that he is Pirating doesn't come into it.
    After all, He Has a FULL license.

(The Above is Just for Fun and an Attempt @ Humour!)

73s de Samantha 2e1dau

15. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll drink to that.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.