ad: MyersEng-1

Hamvention Talk In

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, May 14, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Putting that onus on us is not realistic.

If this were 1985 I would agree whole heartedly. But it being 2017, you know there will be efforts, with success, to jam that talk-in.

Its just an unfortunate reality given the 2M culture we now live in. I don't even know where my 2M HT is...somewhere in the bottom of the junk box.

Disgraceful jammers. Drove me and many/most others off 2M FM.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it realistic to walk off site (such as the Bob Evans) for eats, or is that too far? I heard its about a mile away from the fairgrounds...?

3. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I honestly never thought of jammers. I go to the Orlando Hamcation every year and we never have a problem with that. Must be an Ohio thing. :D

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

IF DARA uses a direection antenna and lots of power, then capture will be difficult for the jammers. But someone with a whip and 20 watts in a car can wipe put the entire traffic jam for bulletin reception, otherwise.

A good strategy would be to have several stations simultaneously running the 'cast along the main routes, especially from the West.

I appreciate that many of the DARA guys work in logistics at Wright-Patterson. But I am puzzled why key info is going to be held to real time. Such as the bus schedule for the sat lots, apparently..

5. NY7Q

NY7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of you old complainers should just stay home and bitch about nothing on TV

N9SOX likes this.
  6. W4JWC

W4JWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Question: I see nothing on the web site about lot 3, I know it is on the overview map but there is no detailed map.

Thanks in Advance

7. KB9AWS

KB9AWS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ME ME ME I I I I Really ! not a right a privilege !! LOL Different generation !

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

??

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no specific Lot 3 Map. Its very hard to find the overall info, but here is the link for the general map.

http://hamvention.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Remote-Parking-Map.pdf

There will NOT be enough parking for 9000+ cars, according to the lot and fairground counts.

I suspect that 'new' additional lot announcements will happen for Saturday and Sunday.

It looks like the best strategy is to be there at 6+AM for the lot openings, and then wander off for breakfast....plan on lots of walking and restaurant queueing... good opportunity to run into friends.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  10. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

It might be demand driven and initially assumed a continuous process driven by bus capacity.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Lot 1? is close enough to walk--a long one--to the fairgrounds. SO if people have to wait too long in line, they will crowd the two lane street to get the the fairgrounds. That is my impression. The more they know about the buses the more likely they are to use them.

My group hopes to get to the fairgrounds around 6:15 and then hoof it out for breakfast.

WF9Q likes this.
  12. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am curious. It sounds like there is expected to be a record crowd this year. We have not yet been able to obtain a hotel room for 2018.

I see that there are about 6200 parking spaces at the event, and four (4) remote parking sites with a total of 3444 additional spaces.

What I am curious about is this. What was the parking capacity of the Salem Mall site in years past? Does anybody know? How many cars were able to park at Hara Arena?

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

At 9000+ cars, roughly 25,000 people, the event becomes intractable. They will either have to open additional lots or turn folks away.

I suspect they have additional lots as contingencies, but those lots may charge for parking.

Frankly, I am happy to pay to park if close to the fairgrounds. I bet you will have commercial properties charging for parking next to the fairgrounds.

W8CI likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Better map of Xenia and streets.... xeniamap.JPG

15. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is a better map with street names: http://hamvention.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Remote-Parking-Map-street-names.pdf

Wow, You beat me to it, and that is a really nice map.