ad: elecraft

Hamvention Talk In

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, May 14, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

COOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!

I can remember dropping a $20 to park at Dayton and still had a decent walk. Do you think all the paid parking lots around HARA are crying?

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

XENIA RESTAURANTS
    Mostly fast food...

ANYONE KNOW IF THIS CLUSTER OF RESTAURANTS IS --WALKING DISTANCE-- FROM THE Fairgounds?

xenia restaurants.JPG

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am repeating Bob's post, with RESTAURANT highlighted .Thanks Bob!

4. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like it's about a mile.

Dayton has a very active food truck scene - I hope they will be present.

5. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I drove out to the site this morning . These comments are entirely andf extremely subjective, rooted in nothing more than my impressions as I drove around .

1. The venue looks good to me. The total size of everything will be smaller than Hara, but still plenty big. There are not as many flea market places but there were a lot of empty spaces ( and a lot of non-radio junk) at Hara. The infield of the race track, the site of the flea market, looks to be in good shape with very thick grass. Unless there is torrential rain and flooding, I would not expect a mud problem. There are lots of festival tents being set up, to provide a quasi-indoor setting for vendors - like Mendelson's. It should be a nice scene over all, perhaps with less crowding than there was at Hara. There are many people, signs, and activity today.

2. I suspect that the on-site parking could get saturated in a hurry. The distance to the activities is not huge, but I hope they have golf-carts for those less fleet of foot. Traffic into the fairgrounds could be problematic. The western approach from US-35 on Trebein Rd etc includes a pretty stretch of two-lane roads that could get saturated. Traffic control at the Trebein-35 stoplight could help. Traffic officers all over might be nice.

3. Two of the remote parking sites are quite close, two others are farther away. If buses run frequently, it should be ok. If not,.....

And so:

1. I hope to get there early and park on site. I would recommended listening to the beacon (which I hope is QRO) on 146.525, as well as the talk-in.

2. Despite inevitable glitches, I think it will be as much fun as ever.

3. If no negativists show up, I won't feel cheated.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    KA8SYV, NZ1I, K9UR and 1 other person like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Bill,

That's very helpful!

Hope to see you there.

Chip W1YW

7. ND8D

ND8D Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WA8FOZ,
    While I am only 40 minutes away and have not personally seen the site, I am in agreement with you.

Dayton, like any big event, is entirely what you make of it. and I intend to make it a good one!

N8FSM and KA8SYV like this.
  8. KG0MN

KG0MN Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip you really need to stop posting, I used to think you were a respectable guy from what I have read about you. Your comments are making me rethink my opinion.

W7UUU likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's OK. You are entitled to your opinion.

Chip W1YW

10. KD8YQC

KD8YQC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's amusing reading this thread, as I just learned about the ignore feature of this forum a few weeks ago. I only have one user on it, and you can guess who that is.
    I highly recommend it. All I see is everyone else's posts without the diatribe. It makes things much more peaceful. For those that don't know about it:
    Click on the callsign of a user below their avatar on the left hand side. A popup will appear. Simply click "Ignore."

W7UUU likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds fine.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Done. Nice and easy. But I won't see your reply OM.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Still No bus schedule on the satellite lots.

I don't get why they can't just post the following:" BUSES WILL RUN FROM THE SATELLITE LOTS ON A CONTINUOUS BASIS FROM 7AM TO 5:30PM" if that is the case.

Right now I plan to avoid the sat lots like the plague because of absence of transport info.

DARA is going to have a huge fairground lot backup at 6:30 AM on Friday....if they fail to post bus transportation info on the sat lots.

That means the people who park in the satellite lots will clog the streets walking from the satellite lots to the fairgrounds.

DARA- PLEASE PUT THE BUS SCHEDULE ON THE WEB SITE.

THANK YOU!

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  14. KE8WO

KE8WO Ham Member QRZ Page

I live in Beavercreek. My plan is to monitor the talkin and plan to attend on Friday accordingly. I expect to drive the three miles to the Beavercreek outlot and take a bus. I don't plan on being in the first wave of attendees but maybe around 10 AM or so .. to allow the first wave to either be there or if impossibly jammed up .. then I'll either go later or not at all (I'll watch the webcast!). This all pending the Friday weather (currently looks good for Friday and most of Saturday)!

PS: I'll stay in my car until I see buses ... if I need to relieve my old prostate I'll make a quick trip to the nearby Bob Evans! (in the same large parking lot)

15. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So guys, some of the onus is on you. The committee is asking you to be prepared to communicate, and I'm guessing most of the questions asked here will be answered in a broadcast bulletin, but if not you can talk to a person on the talk-in frequency. Anything they post here would be subject to change.