ad: Sussex-1

Hamvention Talk In

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, May 14, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W8HJR

W8HJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Those planning to drive to Hamvention 2017 at its new location at the Greene County Fairgrounds and Expo Center in Xenia, Ohio should be prepared to communicate to make their arrival safer and easier.

Gary Mullins K8UW, chair of the Talk-In committee for Hamvention this year has anticipated that the new location will generate the need for more information for those who have never been to the Fairgrounds. To ease the load on the 146.94- 123.0 Talk In frequency, Hamvention will use an informational bulletin system to provide answers to
    many of the frequently asked questions and provide important general information to those approaching the area. The bulletin system will transmit on 145.525 where attendees and vendors can listen to get the information they need.

Since the bulletins can't possibly cover everything Mullins said, " Of course we will still be operating our usual Talk-In operation to address questions or problems that aren't answered on the bulletin system. The system will begin operation at approximately 0700 hours EDT on Thursday the 18th and will continue during Talk-In operation hours throughout the weekend. The more people that are aware of the availability of this service, the better things can run for us and those attending."

Talk In volunteers will provide up to date information on traffic conditions, parking availability and directions if needed. In addition they will be able to redirect visitors if a parking lot is reaching its maximum.

The Hamvention Traffic Planning Committee, headed by volunteer Larry Sacks, N8QMN, a professional traffic engineer, worked with the Xenia Police Department, the Greene County Sheriff's Office and the Ohio Highway Patrol to devise routes that promote safety and offer smooth traffic flow. By concentrating vehicles on those roads, officers will be able to control traffic lights at major intersections and minimize delays. But, Sacks pointed out, it all depends on drivers following the suggestions presented to them.

Sacks urged visitors to consider parking at a remote lot. Since shuttles from those lots will use a different entrance to the Fairgrounds, remote parkers could actually arrive sooner depending on how much time they might spend in slow moving traffic to get into the Fairground.

Drivers are urged to review the directions and maps on the website before starting their trips. They represent the best advice the committee can give in addition to one final suggestion: Car pool, if possible.

###

N2SUB likes this.
  2. W8WJW

W8WJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Only concern I have is: does Greene County have the square footage for all the indoor vendors as they had at Dayton? Not worried so much about the world's greatest flea market, but, would like to see the new hardware in an enclosed environment?
    John

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You are anticipating a disaster of Woodstock proportions, and you are correct--the planning is not succeeding at getting the word out to the 35,000 who will show up. Yes, we --hamsters locally in NE-- discussed this parking issue at length the last couple of days and all of us were clueless. These are YCCC guys, not exactly dimwits.

Look: I'm game to park in a 'satellite' space on Friday, but most of us will wise up and want to park in the fairgrounds. So here are some issues you haven't sufficiently articulated:

1) Satellite parking---is this a potential orgy for car thieves? Who will be minding the store? Cops?'

2) How am I supposed to shlepp all the goodies I buy to the car with the satellite parking? Most situations like this at trade shows have courtesy hold tables so people can park their bought items and then conveniently leave as one trip at the end of the day. There is no way I am going to make several trips a day to satellite parking. My solution is to BUY LESS;

3) Do you honestly think people AREN'T going to car pool? C'mon; people are caravaning to get there, and giving rides from Dayton proper to the Fairgrounds. The issue is not how many bodies are in a car, but how long it takes to get to the john from Dayton to Xenia . You will have many UNHAPPY OLD MEN if they sit parked on a rural highway for two or three hours...;

4) Opening hours for the parking lots are....? I am OK hitting the road from Dayton at 7AM, but are we supposed to CREATE A TRAFFIC JAM waiting for the lots to open?

5) Mud City: assume rain, especially Sunday. How will the parking be handled in a Mudfest?

Yes, we all know you guys are fantastic, doing a great job, and volunteers. But be real: you needed to bounce the issues off others so these very problems could have been solved months before.

CU at Xenia!

Chip W1YW

4. W1ZY

W1ZY Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  5. KB8RC

KB8RC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmmmm lets see, 6200 parking spots and remote lots that were not advertised and 35,ooo tickets ??? Must be that new math ! Should be as interesting as the weather forecast !

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I imagine you will see a lot of 'nature calls' ,and empty milk cartons filled with what appears to be lemonade left on the side of the road....

W3ZVX and N0HD like this.
  7. K2CWM/SK2023

K2CWM/SK2023 XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Whatever happens at Xenia, good or not-so-good, just consider it as part of the Hamvention experience, as we all have in previous years.
    Curt WA2JSG (44th straight year at Hamvention)
    New Jersey

WB9VPG, WA8FOZ and K3SX like this.
  8. NZ1I

NZ1I QRZ Lifetime Member #344 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

With the event at a far better facility than previous years, even with a few bugs, the event will be better! If you have questions address them to the proper people. No need to nit pick even before the event starts! And if your concerns are not addressed, why not wait until next year.

73, Kevin NZ1I
    Volunteer and Attendee

K6TEP, K7LQH, K0WJ and 2 others like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Its outrageous that you accuse anyone of nit picking; my concerns are everyone's concerns. You should be GRATEFUL that someone is helping you see them before they materialize....

What right do you have to tell me to wait until next year? I have already spent $1600 for this trip. I know the volunteers are doing an excellent job. Many, many thanks. Truly. But that doesn't give you the authority to marginalize legit concerns. Consider my feedback a very helpful extension to let the volunteers avoid big problems.

As a fire fighter, surely you understand the importance of getting this info out. Now.

THE KEY INFO IS NOT POSTED. NOT ON HAMVENTION.ORG.

So let's get specific:

Dear PROPER PERSON--

PARKING AT SATELLITE PARKING 'X' OPENS at:___________________

THE BUS SCHEDULE FOR SATELLITE PARKING 'X" is:______________

Thank you and 73

Chip W1YW

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    NU4R, WW8X and W8WJW like this.
  10. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What happens in Xenia... stays in Xenia. :)

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

K0WJ, WX4O and K3XR like this.
  11. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Chip, the satellite lots are already filling up.
    Sent up a drone to help you find a spot:

Attached Files:

K0WJ and W1YW like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

As they say , Doug, I want to make sure 'everything comes out alright' and that we all 'leave only footprints'.

Chip W1YW

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Clean fill wanted.

WA3VJB likes this.
  14. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does anybody out here KNOW if any "LIVE COVERAGE" @ the "Mother of All Hamventions" will be provided on various websites for WE LOWLY MINIONS who cannot attend this year???

15. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Us highly minions too---

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo