ad: CQMM-1

Hamvention Talk In

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, May 14, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Might you recommend further 'pitstops'--coming from the West?

MANY THAnks!

Chip W1YW

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

He meant it as a joke. Its not Xenia.

3. N8NOE

N8NOE Ham Member QRZ Page

PLEASE keep in mind all these numbers your talking of... Our group and I'd guess many more DO NOT buy Tickets ahead and get them there on Friday Morning.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob is unhappy with me. I do not think you should take his comments as downplaying the potential issues. Bob does a great job on a voluntary basis. Every once in a while he feels he needs to put me in my place. I am a big boy; I can take it.

We all enjoy ham radio. We all enjoy Hamvention. Without DARA running the show, there would be no such enjoyment.

Are they doing a great job? Certainly.

Are we grateful for their efforts? Of course.

Have they missed an opportunity to communicate key info that will smooth out traffic logistics? Not yet. But the clock is ticking and people are already printing out their maps and sheets from the internet.

It is fatuous to think our best source of info will be via real time ham radio at VHf. With the dummy jammers tempted to block transmissions, you know that just won't happen.

If DARA tries real time info on the hamvention web page that will help: but I suspect the carriers will be overwhelmed and will not have enough capacity , especially on the Dayton to Xenia corridor. So monitoring on your smartphone may be an issue. I doubt there will be portable cell sites established, but heck, I could be wrong.

Chip W1YW

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The 35,000 is a WAG based on existing orders; it looks like they are close to or hitting HARA numbers for last year, based on pre-sales. Assuming a goodly number who will show up and buy, and you get the total projection of 35,000.

The reason attendance will be so high is two-fold: 1) the demographics of Hamnvention is elderly at a vast majority, and many feel that this is the best, and maybe last, time to go to Hamvention; 2) HARA was such a disaster that the venue kept people away.

6. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

You squarely hit the nail on the head.

The lure of something new and "strange" is also a powerful social magnet.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The fact that we have comments like:' CARPOOL' and 'If you have concerns WAIT TIL NEXT YEAR' --these are code words for 'major problem expected'.

I remember the radio stations in Boston telling people NOT to go to Woodstock....

8. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

While beng posted as security at the scrap yard in West Carrolton I would stop there weekly to pick up dinner, Or a Biscuits & Gravy/ Homefries breakfast working weekend morning,
    and carry it up to the control tower. Sometimes I would take my wife there on my day off.

Their Broasted Chicken with potato wedges and fresh green beans is to die for.
    On Weds, They have "olde Tyme" country specials such as Bean soup and cornbread.
    Since it's been a while, I don't know if they are still doing A rib special on Fridays..

And a good slice of home made Pie with coffee might be able to bring about world peace.
    If your going past West carrolton on I-75 on the way to/From Xenia, It' would be a "Bubba Approved"
    stopover.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    WF9Q likes this.
  9. KD8DEY

Didn't do much traveling to the west, Mostly along the I-75 corridor. If I remember correctly..
    To get to Xenia from I-75 , you take 35 West. While they had that big construction mess,
    a lot of people would bypass it by doing I-75 north to 675 north to 35....If I remember correctly 675 N is exit 46 and runs you past the Fairfield commons mall, And they built a nice hotel there across from it I filled in at a couple times.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Many thanks for all that info OM.

Hope to meet you in Xenia!

Chip W1YW

11. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

12. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

13. KD8DEY

Won't make it. Broke, Unreliable car, and hobbling around in braces...
    But If You See Mike Kaulter and Don the president, You can thank them for me for climbing around on my roof about 10 yeard ago... :)

W1YW likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

WB9VPG likes this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

NOW on hamvention.org.... my highlighting. THANKS DARA.

NOW for the BUS SCHEDULE.....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parking Information
    With the new location, parking will be available for attendees on the Fairgrounds. Both General and ADA parking lots are expected to be open by 7 a.m. There will be no charge for parking. Follow the instructions of lot attendants for parking. People shuttles and golf carts will be going through the lots to facilitate easy access.

Staggering would work better, but opening that early will take off much of the road delay, AND people will eat breakfast in Xenia before the show opens at 9AM.