ad: ProAudio-1

Hamvention Talk In

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, May 14, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I hear you Chip. I simply disagree with you.

I've been to many events where I parked at a "remote" lot and had no idea what time the bus was coming. I knew it would come at some time because that's what remote parking is about. Pretty silly to think NO bus would come for an event where remote parking is advertised, but I could be wrong. I'm guessing that the Dayton Hamvention folks realize that most folks will likely get there early in the AM since that's been the standard for years. I'm also guessing that if you park in one of the remote lots, you're gonna have to wait for transportation to the main site. No surprise there. That's kinda how that works, 'ya know?

Do you REALLY REALLY feel the need to have someone tell you, "The bus will leave at 0700 and every 15 minutes until 1000 then every 29 minutes . . . " REALLY??

I'm going to enjoy a hamfest. I'll get there when I get there. I understand the logistics of trying to get things to work and realize there are going to be problems. There is NO way around that for an event this size at a brand new arena. I'm willing to cut the folks some slack because of the reality of the situation. My life isn't going to end if I'm a little late to the 'fest.

I'm reminded of the fellow who screamed and moaned and groaned about his awful shoes, until he saw a fellow with no feet.

Chill out, dude. You seem to enjoy moaning and groaning to no end. Tell you what, I'll write you a prescription for some Valium when I get there. Sounds like you are going to need it.

............Bob

WG7X, WZ4K, K0WJ and 3 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes Bob,

REALLY.

I have had logistics mess up twice at Hamvention. One messed up, bigtime, my presentation in 2013 at the Youth Forum. And it wasn't because I didnt allow enough time; have a plan B; and so on.

It certainly seems reasonable, to any and everyone, to make flow decisions and propagate that info beforehand.

Why we don't have it is certainly a puzzlement....as well as your requirement to diss me for articlating the matter.

You can be 'chilled' and directive at the same time Bob.

And Bob, I am wearing Rockports. No complaints.CU at Hamvention.

Chip W1YW

3. W4PG

Are you giving a talk at a specific time? I suggest taking a taxi who can drive you right up to the front door. Works for me when I'm in that situation and it will work for you.

............Bob

NZ1I likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh?

I have no idea what you are talking about. Taxi? Talk? What taxi? What talk? I am not speaking at Dayton: once was enough.

Maybe you can discuss it over a beer at Dayton.

Chip W1YW

5. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is it possible.......?

Do you think it would be possible to have a day when we don't throw personal insult at others, and we don't act like ungrateful, bratty kids towards people who volunteer to help us? I'm just wondering, 'cause that stuff tends to turn me off to a hobby I've been involved in for many, many years.

K3SX, WG7X, K0WJ and 2 others like this.
  6. W4PG

Ah. I understand. So you have NO specific time you HAVE to be there. You are NOT giving a talk. No worries about time at all. So what exactly is your NEED to know exactly when the buses run?? You have no need to be there at any specific time as you acknowledged.

So I say again. CHILL dude. Go, enjoy and have fun. I'm beginning to think you have some other motive here for I cannot understand why someone who has no need to be there at any specific time is getting all worked up over what time you might get there.

Am I missing something? Or are you just stirring the pot??

............Bob

WG7X and NZ1I like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob,

What time are the satellite lots open?

If you have that info, please pass it along. It will be useful to many here.

The hamvention.org only lists the following, and placed on the latest update:

"Talk In info and hours have been listed."

That link only list the hours the radios will be on...

Chip W1YW

8. N2SUB

[​IMG]

NZ1I likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I would be delighted to have a friendly eyeball at Hamvention. You can fill me in.

BTW, Jim has the solution for Xenia-- a tent built into an SUV. Really cool Jim:)

Chip W1YW

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  10. N2SUB

No Sir, clearly there is nothing I can tell you that you don't already know. But I'd be happy to buy you a beer sometime and we can talk about ham radio

NZ1I likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Or compare tours.... what was your last deli platter count? Obviously I don't know that.

Deli platters made me give up the road. I cannot look at a naked carrot next to a salami slice anymore.

Tell me in Xenia.

Chip W1YW

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice try.

I am driving a car and have 3 other passengers. You may assume their time priorities are different from mine.

I did not provide you my time priorities. I have time priorities.

Are we to play the lawyer- question game some more or shall we just move on to friendly banter when we arrive at Hamvention?

I, for one, want to discuss (there) 7800 vs 990 comparisons. I too have both.

Chip W1YW

13. W4PG

Ok, no problem. Drive your friends up to the front door, let them out then go park your car and get back when you can.

And PLEASE, tell us EXACTLY your time "priorities." Give us PRECISELY what time you have to be where and why. Put some context into this pot-stirring of yours that will let us all understand why Chip has to be at a certain spot at a certain time at a hamfest where you are not giving any talks at any specific time. Inquiring folks would like to know what the hoop'la is all about.

.............Bob

K0WJ and NZ1I like this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Its about getting to Xenia without getting stuck (for long) in traffic in Xenia, Bob. Its about old men with prostate problems, Bob. Old men. Morning coffee. Long traffic jams. Just think of the possibilities Bob.

Your drop off suggestion is an excellent one--I see nothing about a drop off place, or for that matter, valet parking...

Sorry Bob, creatures of habit insist on the Java, so absence is not a potential solution.

What's the average age of Hamvention attendees...61? 65? DO you want the Saw Palmetto concession?

BTW, do you know that (possibly) the largest segment of people who signed up for TSA-pre is men over 60? Answer: 'I can't wait in line'... Should we say to them...'whats all the hoopla'?

My time priority is to get to Xenia so we can have hours and hours--days!-- to discuss HR555..

Chip W1YW

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  15. W4PG

You seriously mean to tell me this rant of yours, this rather "disrespect" you showed to a volunteer working his butt off to make this event happen, is all about your PROSTATE??

Bob <----------"hands holding head! in utter disbelief"

Would someone just rip me a new one??

I'm going to have to ask Fred for a RAISE!! I just don't get enough pay for this.

Oh wait. I'm a volunteer. Nevermind.

..............Bob <---------Please God!! Make it all well!

K0WJ, NZ1I and N3AB like this.