ad: LZQSLprint-1

Hamvention Talk In

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, May 14, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob,

Surely you are aware that the best litigators were theater majors in college.

I am so aware ;-) And I was a physics major.

Chip W1YW

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope. Didn't say that. My prostate is just fine. I give it another 20 years, based on the baseline genetics.

Old men Bob. Think. Thousands on the road. Let's be kind to their wisdom, so to speak.

Where is that drop off area you refer to? Or do you think that people will complacently get out of their cars , in the stopped traffic, and whip out their guitars and play guitar on the hood?

I can guarantee they will be drumming their fingers though....

I do wish you would show respect for the many who will be experiencing this problem. All in my car are over 62.

Who will you be car pooling with, Bob?

Chip W1YW

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  3. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Holy Moley!! I'm beside myself. You are ranting and raving over parking because you might have to PEE!!????!????
    So you are ranting and raving about OTHER folks prostate?? Seriously??

A Volunteer from Dayton posts some information that many find helpful but you venture into a world of your own that you now admit has to do with PROSTATES, not even your OWN.

Wow.

Have a wonderful night, Chip. I'll just let folks draw their own conclusions.

.............Bob

K0WJ and NZ1I like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

RE: conclusions....

Thank you.

My passengers thank you.

Thousands of seasoned older hams thank you.

And no, once again you make statements that are not supported by mine. I do not have 'timing' problems. Most of my older friends do, however. Eventually all men do. You too. Me too.

And when you have the solution to a pit stop in the streets of Xenia in two or three hour traffic, well, let me know.

Dealing with traffic and parking staggering beforehand is prudent and shows consideration for the customers. If you want them back, doing something simple seems easy, don't you think?

Chip W1YW

5. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Chip...stay home, take a qualude, valium,or smoke a bowl. Something...anything... to take your mind off of Xenia Traffic Armageddon.

uh oh...Now I'm all worried too.

I'm in spot 7781 this year. I have no idea where that is, nor if I can find it, but I suspect/speculate/worry it has been double booked and the Xenia rental cop security guards are gonna beat me up a-la United Airlines if we're not careful..

How can I sleep tonight.....

NZ1I and W1YW like this.
  6. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at the map on their website, it appears that the remote lots are several miles apart, with one on the west side of town, one on the north, etc. So it makes perfect sense to have them all open at the same time. If you're coming from the west, it doesn't make any sense to have the west parking lot closed, have to drive past it, drive past the event, and then park in the east lot.

I think it would be safe to assume that the parking lots are open an hour or two before the event starts, and the first bus leaves shortly before the event start time.

I would hope that they have toilet facilities at the parking lots. There are companies that provide that service, and I have no reason to believe that the Hamvention didn't think of that. Most remote parking lot operations for events such as this have them, although I've never seen them advertised.

In short, it's certainly possible that this event will turn into a disaster. But there's nothing on their website indicating that it will be.

NZ1I likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The sat lots are scattered . But take the typical scenario... coming from Dayton/points west. Look at the map. From that approach you will have major issues with traffic if you open them all at the same time. Better to fill them sequentially. Or start with the main fairgrounds and one lot to start.

It certainly is important to have portosans in the lots. But these are not normal parking lots: one is the high school (which will been closed for the duration of Hmavention).

It really is key to post times when the lots are open.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dream of 811A's. Ice cold. Made in Milwaukee..

K9UR likes this.
  9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it would be a good idea to post the hours. But if one of them opens at 5:00, then it makes no sense at all to purposely leave another one closed until 10:00, when it's on the other side of town.

NZ1I likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point. I suspect that the staggering can be done in no more than 30-45 minute delays.

Again, what time do the BUSES start?:)

11. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

If I were running the Hamvention, then the first bus would be timed to arrive when the event opens. So if the gate opens at 6:00, then the first bus would leave the parking lot at about 5:30. I think that's a logical assumption, although I suppose it would be a good idea to put it on their website.

The more important piece of information would be the time of the last bus of the night. If you get there a half hour before the busses start running, that's not a big deal. But if you get there one minute after the last bus of the night leaves the Hamvention, that's more of a problem.

But I suspect that they will have a big sign on the bus announcing that information, along with the sign reminding people that they need to remember that they need to take bus route # ___.

NZ1I likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent points.

Posting time info on the web is , again, critical.

I suspect the buses will be Xenia school buses...better plan to shlepp your bought goodies in a backpack.

13. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said. CU in Xenia!

14. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no dog in this ongoing "conversation".
    That being said, If possible I would try to stop by Hollys home cooking in west carrolton, off I-75
    if opportunity presents itself.
    It's a weekend hang out for some of the local hams that have a club breakfast get together.
    Home cooking, halfway decent prices, Biscuits and Gravy or big breakfast platter worth risking a coronary over, And Home made Pies.... Can't go wrong with Pie & Coffee....
    http://hollyshomecooking.com/

15. VE3MPH

VE3MPH Ham Member QRZ Page

The pic of all the parking looks like there is TRASH all over.
    WHAT'S WITH THAT??????