ad: AbAuRe-1

Hamvention Talk In

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, May 14, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K8RLV

K8RLV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

http://hamvention.org/media-news/live-streaming/

2. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

dr. K8RLV !!!
    Many, many THANKS OB, for the very prompt answer to our query!!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

3. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Luvit when a plan comes together

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

If handled like they have done it in years past, Security in the parking areas will probably be handled by Merchants Security service in Dayton Ohio.
    if you have any concerns you can reach them at (937)256-9373

What is not commonly known is that the task is performed by what regular merchants employees refer to as 3 Day wonders. People that only work at Merchants for the event, and you don't see most of them again in a uniform until the following year. A few will stay on for a couple weeks or so and finally quit, Others decide not to return....

They even have a different, More decorative badge just for the event compared to the badge that the regular employees wear...

They pretty much scrape the barrel to fill uniforms for the event.
    One year they even used women from the local battered shelter to help staff it. Sometimes they add a few regulars working an extra shift....*

*(Disclaimer)
    Yes I was posted as a guard at the shelter and witnessed first hand what they were stuffing into uniforms. I dunno if they actually had enough time to actually run a background check on some of the hires.
    Yes I do Have an axe to grind with them, After working for them for 9 years at some of the muddiest (censored) holes they had that they had trouble finding people willing to work.
    I became deathly ill, requiring multiple surgeries and was off for 9 months only to find out that they underwent an office staffing change and thought I had quit 3 months before I was even released by the doctors to go back to work...

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    NU4R likes this.
  5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean "Trucker Bombs"...

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that Friday will be problematic, and there will be announcements Friday night on the hamvention site, and various dinners at the hotels, suggesting re-routings and timings for parking Saturday and Sunday.

The damn shame is all of that can be avoided by posting scheduled times for the satellite parking AND the bus schedule **NOW**.

Using sat parking and buses is very common IN SKI AREAS. What they do is STAGGER the opening of the sat parking areas AND TELL EVERYONE THE BUS SCHEDULE. Obviously it WORKS.

What you CAN'T ALLOW is 4 or 5 separated satellite parking areas ALL BEING filled at 8 to 9 AM. This creates SIMULTANEOUS CHAOS on ALL routes! Instant clog.

Instant WOODSTOCK.

It will PRODUCE the very problem they are TRYING TO SOLVE.

Chip W1YW

NU4R likes this.
  7. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm... lets see... no floating poop in the flea market parking lot this year. Hurray! To me, it's all upside !

For sure, kinks and bugs will happen, and eventually be worked out. Yes, it will probably be a cluster f&^% on friday morning with everyone trying to get to Xenia and no one knowing the way, having to scope out new routines, parking lot spaces, flea spaces, the 7200 crew jamming the repeater talk-in ferquencies and more.

Honestly...that's sort of the fun of it all and breaths new life in to Hamvention. It was pretty much lather, rinse, repeat for the past 50 years so put on your happy face and be glad the entire Hamvention didn't fold when HARA closed....We're still one step ahead of Radio Shack.

K0WJ and NZ1I like this.
  8. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I plan on being there and realize there are likely going to be problems until we see what we have and get the issues ironed out. No way around that with a new venue. Personally, sounds like a few of you might want to sit this one out. I'm worried someone is going to bust a brain vein over something that when all is said and done, is pretty trivial. But, that's just my take.

See you all at Dayton (er, Xenia!!)

............Bob

9. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

You can sugar coat it all you want it going to be of nightmarish proportions.........

especially the parking.......offsite parking.......better take your mobile rigs out of your cars.

i wonder how many will get broken into.

this site was not meant for 35,ooo people...no way no how.....ok so what you have 6200 parking spots...are you gonna camp out all hours just to get one of those prime spots.....

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob,

I've been in Xenia.

Its a pleasant town that's a hub in a rural area. At best it would be a 'learning experience' with 20,000 hams. With 35,000 hams its a a road nightmare that will make the evening news, in a negative way, across the midwest.

Bob, let's assume that the 'info' comes across on 'real-time' 2M and 220 as we all truck on in the roads. Now: imagine one or two idiots deciding how much fun they can have by pressing the mike button and jamming the drive-in frequencies.

Surely you understand the merit of the request, here, for information--which is NOT available here or the web site-- on parking. I mean, really: no info on the opening of the lots? Or bus schedule? Will there be portopotties at the satellite lots? I can guarantee they will be needed.

Basically this is NOT a situation where you 'wing it'. At LEAST put that info on the web site, now, and make it easy to find.

I very much plan to enjoy myself at Xenia. But Ive seen these situations go south very quickly--I still recall being stuck on Rt 95 at Foxboro with a 10 hour traffic jam because the lots were not labelled, staggered, or secured, from a GreenDay concert in 2007.

Hope to CU at Hamvention:)

Chip W1YW

11. NZ1I

NZ1I QRZ Lifetime Member #344 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well Chip, Thank you for your kind words. I am entitled to my opinion just as you are, however this is no need to attack me. My point was that maybe you should try to email, contact, phone etc., the appropriate department instead of blanket message on the board here. Like an email to info@hamvention.org for example. The initial message was about talk-in information. Surely if you could look up my info, you could checkout the internet for more information.

73, Kevin NZ1I

N3AB and N2SUB like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Kevin,

No, this OP is not just about talk-in Its about road logistics, with the very onerous command to 'car pool'. That is a code word for disaster ahead.

You are very much entitled to your opinion, but it clearly is lacking in adequate facts to be relevant here. Also, taking aim at me, or anyone else, for articulating these legitimate concerns is the ultimate in bad taste.

Look: Get the guys --at least--to POST THE HOURS for opening of EACH SATELLITE PARKING LOT. And DON'T OPEN THEM ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

And no. Kevin, I am NOT going to send an email to info@hamvention.org. That makes no sense. I am not the ONLY ONE who needs the info, and I am in no position to disseminate to everyone who needs that info. Its not a one-on-one issue Kevin. Its everyone's issue. And simply fixed--PUT it on the website.

Kevin, I am the editor of a scholarly journal and we get many articles on network flow--and that includes traffic flow. Its a big deal, attacked with complex math. But the take-aways are often simple to implement . Stagger. Post info . Smooth the flow.

THAT INFO on sat parking hours and openings WAS NOT ON THE HAMVENTION.ORG WEBSITE as of 4pm today. Go--look--OM.

Doesn't this all make good, practical sense?

Hope to see you at Hamvention.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  13. NZ1I

NZ1I QRZ Lifetime Member #344 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hi, Thank you for your words. I did not shoot across anyone's bow and I did not attack Chip personally. And there is no need for you to attack me and my profession. Hopefully you will never need those services but if you do, you will get the respect a customer deserves no matter how badly you may treat those providing assistance. That's Professional!

73, Kevin NZ1I

N3AB likes this.
  14. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for taking the time to post this useful information on the Zed. I appreciate that you are a volunteer, and do a lot of planning and preparation on your own time, so you are going above and beyond your role.

I'm sure there were some people who had reservations about the new venue in Xenia, but I'm also SURE they contacted the "proper people" with their concerns BEFORE making plans to attend the Hamvention. It would be silly to spend hundreds or even thousands on a trip without addressing concerns about the destination and itinerary.

Thanks again for sharing this information. I wish you all the best for a successful and memorable event.

NZ1I likes this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have full faith in Kevin in his profession and service therein. I work with public safety professionals daily. I really like them. I learn from them. But I think Kevin's personal opinion marginalizing the road concerns is not tenable, and IMO it is improper to insinuate irrelevance to those so stated . I have made a few simple and salient requests that are easy to implement and may make all our lives easier at Hamvention.

I have seen a 'Woodstock' when the police and fire were not able to control the traffic /parking situation with lot staggering and info. I do not blame them. But we all know better now.

Everyone should enjoy themselves at Hamvention and I look forward to seeing many of you there.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: May 16, 2017