ad: elecraft

Hams -- File Written Testimony on HOA Restrictions!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W6EM, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WK5X

WK5X Guest

If I were to put up a 100 foot tower in my back yard, would it diminish my neighbor's property value? Of course it would. Antennas are allowed in our HOA development, but I'm not going to push the envelope.

2. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For those that think "Hey I'll just go portable" is going to cut it, I have some doubts that that'll do what is necessary in a time of crisis. In such a case you may not have operated long enough to have the knowledge what your equipment can do. How likely is it that you're going to be portable at the exact time when things go bad? Again, the more ears out there listening and the better their equipment is, then the greater the odds of being heard and helped. I want those odds to be in my favor. When I want help it isn't something that'll just have to wait. At such a time my station may have a highly compromised antenna and not be able to operate at full capacity. If the receiving stations have compromised antennas the more likely the consequences will be unfavorable. It isn't about the person outside the problem area being able to barely communicate, it's about having the best capability to communicate into the problem area. You cannot help if you cannot hear and work the troubled station. Simple folks, it has nothing to do with someone that is safe and comfortable in their own home. It's the victims that will pay the price for those that cannot put up an antenna that could have rendered them help.
    Gary

3. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure is a lot of grief here for just "maybe". Yeah, maybe the world will end and ham radio will save the day. Maybe not. For those that have anecdotes of how it has, your example is the exception. I've saved more people with a phone book than I have with ham radio.

I think we have beat this to death, as has been done so many threads before on the subject.

4. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You have data to back that up? There hasn't been any proof anywhere that property values were degraded by the proximity of an antenna installation even with a 100 foot tower.
    Someone that is shopping around for a place to stay will try anything to get the price lower and in such a case they may try that trick. They will never get very far and it just won't work.
    Gary

5. K2NCC

"... any proof anywhere..."?? That's a pretty big brush you use there. Just because you haven't found it yet doesn't mean it isn't there.

He may not need proof. I wouldn't move in next to a 100-foot antenna (unless it's my own!).

Would you? Really? So figure if no one wants to move in, the price might be lowered to sell it. Thus a reduced home value, even if worth more on paper.

6. WK5X

WK5X Guest

I don't think this is the kind of thing that people do studies about; however, anecdotally, I know that my XYL wouldn't agree to buy a house next to such, and I'm sure that she isn't the only one out with this mindset. Personally, I think it would be a wonderful thing.

7. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've heard the claim that "there's no proof that antennas lower property values" before. I'm always tempted to ask, "is there any proof that antennas don't lower property values?"

Actually, I've also heard that the ARRL has shared evidence that antennas don't impact property values... but a disinterested party might wonder about the League's objectivity on such matters.

8. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

One of reasons I think that ARRL does not appear to want 'reasonable accommodation' defined is that they think a reasonable antenna is a full-sized Yagi atop a 75 foot tower. Ugh, let's see. Is that a self-supporting tower, or one that requires guys into the neighbor's yard? Is the fall-down footprint beyond the property line?

And, antenna suppliers DO advertize in QST.....

Once upon a time, hams in South Florida actually had a CC&R preemption Bill ready to go through the Florida legislature. Wire and vertical antennas, as I remember. And, I'm pretty sure ARRL opposed it.

9. K2NCC

The ARRL is kinda like the NRA to me. I believe in the premise and support the "cause", but at some point, the commanders went astray and no longer represent what I think they once did.

That's why, in spite of other financial support, I'll likely never again be a member of ARRL.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  10. W1ZOT

W1ZOT Ham Member QRZ Page

When we moved to Texas, the only requirement I had was no antenna restrictions. The first thing I told out real estate agent that we would not consider any place where the HOA had antenna restrictions. Additionally, if the city had any restrictions then let us read those regulations to see if it was something that we could live with. I think you have to decide what your expectations of before you sign any agreement. I have two 50 foot telescoping fiberglass that more than meets my needs. The black color of the fiberglass poles tend to blend in to the background. I had complaints from those in the development that want to make up their own rules. They called the city. The city came over. I gave them a grand tour of the station. The city said my poles could only be 35 feet in height. As for the complainers, the city told them that I was in compliance and to piss off. I redesigned my antennas to compensate for the loss of 15 feet and we moved. on. Along the way, I learned how to add loading wires to the now 35 foot 80 meter vertical.

11. W4BUZ

W4BUZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They`re designed to set who`s standard ? your standard my standard ? Really? Everyone does not have the same standards, your case makes it sound like Im better than you so clean up your junk in your yard kind of neighbor

It`s really simple, you dont like looking at your neighbors junk cars dont look at it, and if that is not good enough, put up a fence so you dont have to look at it, if it`s you that is being bothered with their junk it is you with the problem, because obviously their junk cars do not bother them

I have neighbors with junk cars but that is their property to do as they please with, I am nobody to them just as you or anyone else is nobody to them

Some people think they are better than others therefore they think they have the right to set the standards, truth be known they are nobody to their neighbors

HOA`s are a RACKET, normally run by power hungry money grubbing control freaks

12. K2NCC

I'm sorry you're confused. Selective reading, like selective thought, is full of holes. The "standard" of whatever the board agrees on I suppose.

The point is, I don't want to live next to a dump, no matter how high my fence is!

The best way to defeat HOA's, CC&Rs, etc. is to simply not join them. If you have and don't like it, I recommend a pillow between your head and that brick wall.

Yes, some folks do think they're better than others. In some cases, they are. I'm not a fan of every participant getting an award ribbon. Those who excel should be rewarded. Those who come in last place get to scramble for crumbs.

Now, pretend those crumbs are dollars. Would you mind so terribly now that your house won't sell for it's true value because of those around you might have different acceptable living conditions?

I think you, and many here, are bitter about being restricted. Oh man, I can appreciate that. But you put yourselves in that situation, knowingly or not. I imagine if we took more responsibility for our own actions and mistakes, there would be fewer complaints.

You, all of you, are responsible for EVERYTHING that happens to you. If you walk outside and a plane drops on your head, it was still your choice to exit that doorway.

Perhaps those suffering from CC&Rs will find their own exit and take that expensive lesson with them.

13. W4BUZ

Im not confused at all, my statements above is pretty much common sense, but like my son once asked me when he was very young, he said dad, why do they call it common sense when not everyone has it, I said son its a da#$ shame they dont sell it at Wal Mart, even if they did Wal Mart could`nt keep enough of it in stock and some people could`nt buy enough of it to do them any good

I have never lived anywhere an HOA exist and never will

The good lord has blessed me but I will never think that I am better than my neighbors because of some junk cars that broke down on them and they dont have the cash to fix them

I do not look down on others that are less fortunate

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  14. K2NCC

Nobody here has said they're superior. Just because someone's preferred living conditions don't include 2 tons of Rohn, it doesn't mean they think they're better off than you somehow.

Can I presume your letter will also be in the stack at Capitol Hill on this matter?

15. W4BUZ

I do write and call my elected officials often, my letter will be to help others that have to put up with regulated BS in an HOA, I can put up what ever I choose to on my property, it is not to help me, it will be to help others

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.