ad: UR5CDX-1

Yaesu to release a new 50W Dual-Band mobile radio, the FTM-6000R!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Sep 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

Odd a new radio would not have dual monitor. That's what I love about my 7100 - but I think I'm in the minority with satisfied performance for that. :p

See they've gone more Kenwood-esque for the mic, too. Bummer.

2. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree with Cliff (K6CLS) - it's kind of nice having a simple FM rig that is easy to operate in the car, but in the shack as well. Many hams like having a simple 2m/440 FM rig in the car and they don't need all the digital stuff (and the attached price tag) for that application. These digital modes are wonderful (imho), but sometimes just a nice chat with friends in the "going to or from work" gang on the local repeater is all one needs. Rigs like this Yaesu are perfect for that.

KC8QMU and KC7JNJ like this.
  3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

...And it looks like you don't have to pay extra for the mounting bracket, head mount or extension cable -- hey Icom, take note!

4. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

100% agree.
    What could be simpler than APRS that works in background so the OP has just to press 'TUNE' or 'QSY' button to instantly set frequency of repeater or particular operator nearby including repeater shift and CTCSS/DCS if necessary? No any need to spread attention. Just one press of one button on a selected object and the radio is correctly tuned instantly. Same time the radio transmits APRS info containing preferred voice frequency of particular OP so anyone could press 'TUNE' or 'QSY' button on their radios and call the driver right where (s)he listens. When driver changes voice frequency the APRS info automatically changes accordingly.

Still it is not simple to use. Any action requires reading the manual. It is pretty much like the new 6000 will have all ergonomics flaws of well known 7900 plus add its own. IMO FTM-100D was a good attempt to fix awful ergonomics of 7800/7900 series so I really cannot understand this downgrade to 7900. Matrix display with human-readable menus (similar to 100D) is what 7900's successor needs. RF performance was good enough; only vulnerable filters could be changed with something more reliant.

5. UT7UX

Icom's policy is never to include necessary accessories with a radio but sell them apart for enormous price. While HF radios are mostly self-sufficient the mobiles and HTs are not; they require mounting hardware, batteries/chargers, and so on: all this would be sold for extra money so comparing prices add these essential extras to radio's street price. Or be ready to suffer with that included with the radio like slim HT battery that lasts few hours on RX however charges almost eternally.

Also Icom's policy is to exclude any kind of 'DATA' or 'PACKET' connectors on their radios so they are pretty useless for APRS and DV enthusiasts.

K3RW and NK8I like this.
  6. UT7UX

Car's BT is usually already occupied with a phone. As far as I understood BT will be an option for extra money. So I'd prefer fixed microphone somewhere and external PTT that could be mounted on steering wheel, gearbox lever, or on a handbrake. These external mics and PTTs are available ready made however could be pretty easily homebrewed form a crap.

7. NK8I

NK8I Ham Member QRZ Page

Great radio that was discontiued out of the blue--maybe too good of a radio.

W9JTC likes this.
  8. N4NXD

N4NXD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Appears to be a single band at a time, dumbed down version of the FTM-300DR. Radio and control head dimensions appear similar, so it's not really comparable to an FT-90R, which was much smaller both radio brick and control head. The price of an FTM-300DR which has a full color VGA display, true dual band operation with cross band, built in bluetooth (which is an OPTIONAL board for the FTM-6000 at $50 if you can find one as they are out of stock everywhere except some Scamazon seller raping for $100), and GPS on board- is around $529. The price of this analog only radio seems a little high, as it's aimed at replacing the 7900, which last time I bought one was on sale for $239.
    I'll pass and keep my FTM-300DR.

9. KF0DHQ

KF0DHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu needs to make the rival to the 7300, (If they can), rather then making mini-mobile-duel-banders. I don't think if anyone noticed there attempts to compete the 7300 with the FTDX10.

10. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I found one already, 2 days ago it seem?

OK7SE and K3RW like this.
  11. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

They already did, but since it is much higher quality, it costs a bit more but will come down in price if we ever get out of supply chain problems. [and I own a 7300, the DX10 is much better]

Remember the 7300 was not as cheap as it is now when it first came out...

FTDX-10

W9HJ and UT7UX like this.
  12. K4DVW

K4DVW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

FTDx10 blows the doors off the IC-7300.

W9HJ and K8XG like this.
  13. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am a Yaesu fan for their HF and DC-Daylight radios, but if this is a sign of the future, they may be in trouble.
    For over $300, I would expect much more(maybe this is a sign of what we have to look forward to in the NWO future?), such as dual receive, connectivity connectors, INCLUDED Bluetooth(not $50 extra)...no manual files available on Yaesu site(Gigaparts says shipping mid October).

14. KD2HAM

KD2HAM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I sold my 7900R a few weeks ago. If I were looking for a dual band radio I think I'd skip this.

15. WE5B

WE5B Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not impressed. Sorry.