ad: Alphaant-1

Yaesu to release a new 50W Dual-Band mobile radio, the FTM-6000R!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Sep 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

It does seem a bit pricey to me but new products often get launched at a higher introductory price than what the typical selling price will settle down to. Before long they'll have rebates and sales on these things anyway. Used 7900 rigs are going for more than $200 to almost $300 so they might not be too far off from what the market is willing to pay. If I was in the market it'd be a contender but I'd still wait for sale or rebate.

2. W9HJ

W9HJ QRZ Lifetime Member #294 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

$320 USD for a 50 watt, dual band analog radio? For $257 you can get the same thing from Icom (IC-2730A) and for $294 you can get a 50 watt, dual band, analog AND digital Yaesu with Fusion (FTM-100DR). PASS!

I love and have a bunch of Yaesu's, but honestly, this is a no go for me, assuming my FTM-100DR in my shack or my FTM-400DR in my truck or my FTM-2750DR in my ammo can, goes bad.

3. W9HJ

W9HJ QRZ Lifetime Member #294 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I had an IC-7300 and it was a very good receiver, but I sold it after I got used to my FTdx-101MP (which the FTdx10 is just a 100 watt, stripped down and less expensive version), and hands down the FTdx10/101 is a far superior transceiver. That isn't to say that the 7300 is a bad transceiver ... for the price ... it's a great rig. It's just that the FTdx is in another league, both performance and price wise.

4. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Components shortage, you know. :D

Add control panel mounting bracket and separation cable that Icom sells apart. Icom does not support data and DV (with third-party hardware or software) while Yaesu has standard 'DATA' connector for anything.

Discontinued! Sure FTM-100DR wins hands down with far better matrix display, human-readable menus, plus almost usable built-in APRS. But they're unavailable anymore.

KF5FEI and W9HJ like this.
  5. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately they discontinued FTM-100DR, that's exactly the rig I had my eye on but it went away before I had a chance to buy one. The Icom IC-2730A is a nice rig but if you want to actually mount it anywhere you got to pay extra for brackets and such. They actually even charge extra for a bracket to mount the head unit to the radio body. What they charge for these "accessories" closes the gap pretty quickly. Yaesu is still including them these days.

W9HJ and UT7UX like this.
  6. KF0DHQ

KF0DHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya. I've never been on the 220 band but it just seems neglected. It's just like 2m except a little higher in frequency. I don't know why people ignore it in there products.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Because only Region II amateurs have access to the band. It's not marketable to hams in the rest of the world (except for tiny areas of Regions 1 and 3).

That would be why - it's just not financially viable from a manufacturers perspective except for the cheapie HT and Mobile class of rigs.

Dave
    W7UUU

KR3DX and UT7UX like this.
  8. AB0R

AB0R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sure your right, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for the Chinese manufacturers to include 220 in their radios. And not all of them are cheap junk, see Anytone for example.

N0YPD likes this.
  9. N1LUE

N1LUE Ham Member QRZ Page

10. AE4XO

AE4XO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been trying to decide if I wanted to mount my FT-90 in my commuter car I use to go to atlanta everyday. This radio may be a good fit for the inside the console, especially with the faceplate.
    ae4xo

11. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

keep it nice and warm..!!

12. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

i thot everyone already had a couple db 50 watters

13. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. Saw two tri-band DMR-capable Anytones this weekend for $300 and $400 that looked pretty interesting.

14. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

15. AI8O

AI8O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the radio as shown.

I might replace my FT-7900 with one.

The FT-7900 is good electronically, but the FT-7900 ERGONOMICS are very poor.
    All those very small buttons all the same size, and each button having multiple functions depending on how long you push it, just leaves a lot to be desired.

When out mobiling, using an FT-7900, you can't easily find, and then push for the correct amount of time the appropriate button.

Thinking about replacing the FT-7900 in my pick-up truck, the following questions come to mind:

1) does the FTM-6000R have frequency groups (banks)?
    2) how many frequency groups (banks)?
    3) how many frequencies in each frequency group (bank)?
    4) What kind of holder is there for the remote head? (around here sticking this on the glass of the windshield is a no-no, and the dashboard surface is too rough to hold a suction cup).
    5)in website picture, it appears that the microphone plugs directly into the main body of the radio, what cord is needed? Can I use the same cable as the already in place FT-7900 Mike cable?
    6) what cable goes from the remote head to the radio's main body? Can I use the same cable as the already in place FT-7900 remote cable?
    7) if I need new cables, what is their cost, and part numbers?