ad: CQMM-1

Yaesu to release a new 50W Dual-Band mobile radio, the FTM-6000R!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Sep 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Inflation and supply chain , Look that the price increase of Kenwood V71 and 710GA. Look at the price of food, beef gas... radios are no different we are back in the late 70s

G3SEA likes this.
  2. K4EEZ

K4EEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

another 2m/70cm Transceiver with a whooping 50 watt output...
    was hoping for a programmable analog/D.M.R dual band oh well maybe next year... :rolleyes:

3. AB0R

AB0R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now if it was a TRI-bander with full power out on 220 I would buy it at this price. Save 220!

KY4WG, KA2ING, KU4X and 3 others like this.
  4. VE3TSV

VE3TSV Ham Member QRZ Page

What exactly is special about the 220 band?

5. KD2BDO

KD2BDO Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree... Have the FT-7900 in my car and it's bullet proof.

6. K0DUC

K0DUC Ham Member QRZ Page

I rather like the FTM-7250DR, and I would rather buy another 7250 before I would buy this new fangled Yaesu offering. Some people seem to really like the whole detachable face, I don't even like it on my Kenwood.

Once a market hits a certain point, there isn't much to innovate and change. I suppose mobile transceivers have been at that point for a while. You can't reinvent the wheel.

7. VE7REN

VE7REN Ham Member QRZ Page

what yaesu needs is another dual receive to replace the void of the ft-8900. and have more button access vs menu.

8. AB0R

It's special because it's ours and we should seek to keep it that way. And, it's a great band that doesn't get enough use. I guess I could also mention it has the range of 2m with the low noise of 440 but it seems like you might be predisposed against it for some reason so I won't.

:)

KY4WG and K4EEZ like this.
  9. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

220, we have a few users here, just not get enough voice use. If I key up the repeater I will get the same guy mostly all the time, mostly. Was a local simplex rag chew freq for a while two years ago, they all moved back down to 146.430 now. I still have a 220 Bridge Com HT, nice little radio. Sold my 220 TYT 9000D base/mobile, they are very low cost.

https://www.amazon.com/TYT-TH-9000D-220-260MHz-Mobile-Transceiver/dp/B00LSCJAPA/

Back in the day 220 was our 9600 Baud AX.25 high speed packet backbones between 1200 baud 2 meter packet nodes [not APRS, old school Packet]

10. VE3TSV

VE3TSV Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not predisposed against anything. Just asking a simple question as to what is so special about it. I got my answer.

K8XG likes this.
  11. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I like 220MHz. As AB0R said, great propagation and low noise.

Around here are plenty of repeaters, most are cross linked to 2m and 70cm, most are ghost towns.

We get a good amount of 220MHz activity during VHF contests. Lately it seems mostly FM, although some SSB. I haven't listened for digimodes or CW.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    KY4WG likes this.
  12. KF0DHQ

KF0DHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh I didn't know that the FTDX10 was better. I just assumed because I've herd SO many good things about the 7300 on the air and over the internet.

13. AB0R

I like 220 band, but my point in bringing it up was that would be a feature I personally like and I think the band would see a lot more use if the radios were more widely available. This radio would be more desirable to me if it had 220 band.

KY4WG likes this.
  14. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many things that are not that great on the 7300.

Is has a super Scope and features on that scope for Signal Investigation [Which I use a lot and save screen shots to the SD-Card] , and now the price is lower so its an entry level rig; it cost a few hundred more before.
    Direct SDR , no roofing filters. Way out in nowhere that likely dos not matter unless your in a contest.

The Mic Port Average power is limited for a reason ICOM won't talk about on it and a few other models. [There are MODs to fix that, I wont fix it as I have other rigs to use for SSB and void my warrantee] FYI the first 3 years of Kenwood 940S had the same problem. Finally the factory fixed it. I did buy a used 940S at one time and it had the problem and read up on how to fix it. Was a beast to get inside of down to the bottoms boards, Hi Hi

Yet if you put a mic on a PC and put the PC on the 7300's rear USB port on USB data , you get much better AVG talk power then from the front mic port. That is why mine is only used on Digital now. Got a 10 year warrantee so just let is run 24/7. There is a reason that Sherwood's testing site tested the ICOM SSB voice using the rear USB port. He is someone that would know why...

Even my FT-991 and FT-2000 have considerable more SSB talk power and better noise rejection and DSP DNR then the 7300.
    When your on a 80 meter friendly net on the 7300 driving a AL-80A and they say , XG your lite tonight. I switch to my FT991 with a switch and they say OK you got that fixed. and Yes I adjusted the compressor everyone says you have to play with exactly as Sherwood said you had to set it up.

Noise on voice and CW by ear are roofer in my Burb in the 7300 then the other radios I have here. Did not experience that in the far away fields; unless it is a field day field with lots of other radios near by.

The FTDX10 is like a single receiver of the FT101DX dual receiver; and has a Scope that now compares even better at some things then the 7300 does , where the 991A's scope lacked greatly.

I hope this helps

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    OK7SE and UT7UX like this.
  15. KB9RDS

KB9RDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like AB0R's comment from above, would be nice if it had 220 in it. As a replacement for the now Ft7800 and FT7900 rigs that is disconnected its not bad. Price is WAY to High by far. Its basic but to expensive. I have 3 FT7800's and they all still work even with buying replacement mic cords on eBay. Good luck selling them even at that price.