ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Yaesu FT-818ND now discontinued!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE4SW, Dec 28, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1DRV

W1DRV Ham Member QRZ Page

The real kicker would be a plug-in module for 220.

KD6RMS likes this.
  2. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thats because they all want us to spend more money! The 9100 (I have one) was replaced by the 7300 and 9700. Matching radios-- but if you want the same bands must buy both. Money making racket for sure.

W1DRV likes this.
  3. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

yaesu-vx-8.jpg
    Rumour is the VX8 is being remodeled & increased in size to include HF & 6m.
    I'm not sure if it will include waterfall display or ATU & no pictures have been leaked yet!

The good news is they're calling it a Yaesu FT8 & sales are expected to exceed 100,000 within 24 hours.

K8PG likes this.
  4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

The Tru(SDX) folks proved you can put TX/RX HF into something the size of an HT and Kenwood has HF SSB/AM/FM/CW RX in the TH-D74, so a company like Yaesu could extend the concept, refine it, and make it work. A QRP-level HT-sized radio that did HF and 2mFM would have me reaching for my wallet, especially if it were waterproof, durable, and had a built-in mic and speaker. It doesn't even need to be the size of a VX-8, I'd be happy with something the size of an IC-V8.

And if it ran for a couple hours on a pack of AA batteries...well, I'd have to find my fainting couch. :D

Chris

AE8EM likes this.
  5. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

With modern technology anything is possible, Like computers the only restriction is usually cooling!

6. N2YTA

N2YTA Ham Member QRZ Page

I also got one a few months ago. Today we could make a few bucks if we were to sell (I don't plan to)
    If Yaesu does come out with a replacement it will probably cost at lot more.

F8WBD likes this.
  7. F8WBD

F8WBD Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't plan on selling mine, either.

8. VK5KKS

VK5KKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally, I'd like to see a return to the days when amateur radio gear could be built with parts from radio shack etc. and repaired with basic tools and knowledge. It seems to me it's so high tech now that it's beyond the average ham to be able to do much when things stop working. Just my opinion. Happy 2023 and good dx...

9. KI4POT

Seems people still do that. I can't say my skills are anything to be excited about, but I've managed to fix a few things here and there even on more modern rigs. The biggest hinderance for me is my age-related eyesight issues.

Theoretically the same is true of modern cars, but what I've found is many things are still "user serviceable" but take a different toolset and approach.

Chris

10. KN6KTI

KN6KTI Ham Member QRZ Page

Right!!

I am so tired of people saying that “today’s cars can’t be worked on”. They most certainly can be. The kids are definitely doing it.

I go to car shows that feature modern cars especially Japanese cars. It’s amazing with the kids are doing.

Just takes, as you say, a different set of tools and mindset.

11. VK5KKS

VK5KKS Ham Member QRZ Page

If a modern car or farm machine breaks down in Australia you can be in real trouble. Most mechanics do not have the computer analysis equipment to diagnose the problems. Join the "Right To Repair' movement. As a lad I rebuilt car engines with no formal training and no special tools. Can't do that these days. Much the same applies to modern radio equipment.

K8PG likes this.
  12. KN6KTI

KN6KTI Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s true that today’s equipment/vehicles may take “modern” tools to fix.

But it’s also true that modern equipment/vehicles are more reliable than years past.

13. KI4POT

Until the new car we bought just a couple days ago, our daily drivers were 10, 16, and 26 years old. All three are perfectly reliable and able to be taking on long road trips.

I routinely take the 26yo 4x4 out into the mountains and over legitimate 4x4 trails, so it has to be reliable or I risk getting stranded in the back-country.

Chris

14. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did they stop selling electronic components? There are still plenty of people making their own radios. How often do you see guys asking for help with their OLD radios that are "easily repaired with basic tools and knowledge". What passes for basic tools and knowledge clearly varies by person to person.

15. KI5SAI

KI5SAI Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that everything will be moving to advanced SDR style radios. With faster SoC design, the CPUs on these board will be able to do what traditional designs have done. Nice radios for sure on the horizon.