ad: cq2k-1

Yaesu FT-818ND now discontinued!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE4SW, Dec 28, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VE4SW

VE4SW Ham Member QRZ Page

2. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

So what's next? Maybe a FT-917 SDR like the IC-705? That would be fun.

3. F8WBD

F8WBD Ham Member QRZ Page

......and I bought a new 818 a few months ago. Oh, well.

KD9JAY likes this.
  4. DL2JML

DL2JML Ham Member QRZ Page

5. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

KG4RRH, KC1OCA and N4FZ like this.
  6. N8PKN

N8PKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Great ! NOW the FT-818 and FT-817 will become RARE on Ebay, time to sell !

Not really, I like my FT-817, not looking to move it on, fun little rig.

KJ4NOO, KG4RRH, KC1OCA and 1 other person like this.
  7. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

The FTM-400 was discontinued as well.

8. W1DRV

W1DRV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just like the discontinuation of the 100W Icom IC-706, IC-7000, IC-9100, or the Yaesu FT-897, there have been no replacements for multi-mode 100W HF/VHF/UHF radios. The hole in the market keeps getting bigger… The IC-7100 and IC-705 were not the answer!

The lack of replacements have skyrocketed the used prices for the IC-706, IC-7000, IC-9100, etc. They keep flooding us with more HF/50MHz radios like the FT-710. Yaesu should’ve offered a replacement for the FT-991A instead… If a 991A replacement retains the display and styling queues of the 710, they’ll have an overnight winner!

KG4RRH and VE2IHS like this.
  9. DL2JML

DL2JML Ham Member QRZ Page

Why wouldn't the IC-7100 be an adequate replacement for the IC-7000?

10. W1DRV

W1DRV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not the same ergonomic form factor due to the extra separation cable, display, and amp unit. That’s 3 separate things to carry. I think the IC-7100 is better suited for mobile mounting than portable or POTA use. Otherwise, functionally, it’s an excellent radio.

KC1OCA and DL2JML like this.
  11. VE2IHS

VE2IHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunatly. It seems across the board for products, the choie is getting slimmer. Sure the model exist, be prepare to pay more to own for various reasons. Either be cars or anything complex to manufacture. May I add the kenwood handheld to the lot of discontinued products. Some may offer alternate but overall the picture is bleak at best.

I wanted a particular product lately, I declined; paying more and with delays... I subcribed to the ideology of buying quality products, and making them last. Either cell phone, computer, cars, anything complex to make...:eek:

12. KI7KVI

KI7KVI Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone understand why stock disappeared from all retailers immediately? HRO seemed to have plenty just the day before.

13. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone probably went out and panic-bought one as a spare or spare for a spare or because of FOMO, etc.

Chris

14. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd like to see a new multi-mode for just 10, 6, 2 and 440. That would be a rig all hams could use. Antennas would be small for those with limited area. Propagation will be good for the next few years.

AE6Z, K1IO and N4DJC like this.
  15. EI4GEB

EI4GEB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They were great radios, and still are.
    I think Yaesu will have some surprises for us this year..