ad: CQMM-1

WWV Discontinuing Operations?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AD7I, Aug 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

The number of people interested in those stations is likely pretty small.

The number of those people who believe that anybody in DC cares about their petitions is almost certainly much, much smaller.

2. LX1CC

LX1CC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

hey,

I WILL KNOW WHY WE DIDN'T RECEIVE THE COMPLETE ADDRESS IF I UPLOAD OVER LOOKUP IN HRD-LOOGBOOK????
    THANKS IN ADVANCE
    MILL

3. WA5TGK

WA5TGK Ham Member QRZ Page

We still have a long way to go on the required number of signatures. We haven't reach 20K yet with only 3 days to go.
    How do we keep this posting at the top of the QRZ home page so that it is easily seen by all? As it stands right now, you have to search for it.

4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Given the amount of signatures needed in 3 days, and the amount of traffic QRZ gets, I don't think we're going to see 80,000 hams reading this. The total number of views - which is not unique views - is ~18,000 for this thread.

5. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

7. N5GAR

N5GAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  8. N5GAR

N5GAR Ham Member QRZ Page

9. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

10. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

11. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WWV is not being shut down. At least not this year. This ongoing "panic" about WWV goes back over a year ago to the Administrations' draft budget proposal for NIST, in which the President ordered NIST to submit a budget request that was cut by 40%, and to meet that figure and still do it's core functions, NIST would have had to cut a lot of stuff, including WWV.

However, that budget request was subsequently ignored by Congress, and the bills last year that would have funded NIST were never acted upon anyway.

In the 2019 "Consolidated Appropriations Act", (i.e. the bill that funded the government for the rest of FY19 after the so-called "shut down") that was enacted in Feb, the funding for "Scientific and Technical Research and Services", which contains WWV and related activity, was not changed relative to 2018. The policy statement that accompanied the legislation expliciately states that funding for "Time and Fundamental Measurement Dissemination" was to be unchanged.

The only budget cut was to "Construction of Research Facilities", but that mostly was offsetting a very large budget increase the year before. The main functions of NIST were untouched.

In other words, everyone can stop panicking about WWV. (At least for this year).

Ref: Final FY19 Appropriations: National Institutes of Standards and Technology and other pages linked therein.

In fact, NIST is hosting a WWV 100th anniversary ham special event in October, to be operated by the Northern Colorado Amateur Radio Club. See NIST Radio Station WWV 100-Year Anniversary, and Celebrating 100 years of WWV

N0TZU, W0BTU, AJ4LN and 2 others like this.
  12. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

For calibrating our transceivers, those CHU frequencies don't matter.

13. AA5CT

Step 1. Calibrate HP 8640b 10 MHz timebase against 10 MHz WWV

Step 2. Adjust Rx (oscillator) crystal trimmer in GE MASTR UHF repeater using HP 8640B as sig gen

Step 3. Measure Tx freq using counter input on 8640B using HP 8640B as a counter.

A little hard to use 7.33xx MHz to trim a 10 MHz master oscillator in a piece of test equipment.

14. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever heard of a "transfer oscillator"?

For setting the timebase in the HP8640B just set its frequency to the highest receivable of the CHU emissions, lock the frequency and adjust the reference in the generator to zero-beat in a separate receiver with the standard frequency emission.

The same relative setting accuracy will be achieved by using this technique as compared to the direct use of WWV.

We in Europe have been using this method since MSF closed in the 90s, leaving only RWM on 4.996, 9.996 and 14.996 for HF off-air frequency checks.

However, with the proliferation of cheap GPS disciplined oscillators and
    the availability of cesium-derived pilot carriers in UHF digital TV transmissions, it has become more infrequent.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

15. AA5CT

re: "Ever heard of a "transfer oscillator"?"

Ever heard of simplicity?

Not everybody has the smarts you or I have to do these things. OR the wherewithal to bring it to fruition.

I've got a TON of other things to do since my sight was restored last year, I'm busy just getting things back to normal. I was preparing to shut everything down at one point last year.

AS IT WAS I basically had to do a 'transfer' cal anyway (b/c its low in a stack on the bench and I can't easily turn it around to reach the back panel- timebase trimming is through a hole in the front panel). Procedure was to set the 8640B's output for 10 MHz (could have set it to CHU - RIGHT?) set its output level (to beat/add and subtract phase-wise w/WWV) and adjusted its timebase .. afterward I then used it as explained above.

Using the technique I did, I could have cal'd it against anything - a cell site (most are GPS ref'd), a SW broadcaster (someone else could measure them, and provide me with their measured "offset" from ideal) , a local public safety "repeater" (if its a Motorola simulcast system its GPS ref'd) or a nearby amateur repeater OR a DTV/HDTV 'pilot' carrier.

I'd rather just go to a primary service standard like WWV (with their traceability to the national standard). THEN *my* 'traceability' to a national standard is a "no brainer'.

Simplicity - the quality or condition of being easy to understand or do.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019