ad: elecraft

Which is best, FT8 or CW?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jan 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I have learned to decode FT8 in my head ! Much like learning Morse code, after many hours of listening to the FT8 tones I finally figured out the unique sound for each character. It's fun to just sit back and listen to FT8 !

N6VL, NG8N, N8MJ and 3 others like this.
  2. N3LAC

N3LAC Ham Member QRZ Page

You underestimate my computer's ability to transmit and decode CW.

~From a ham that hopes to learn CW in the near future

KK4HPY likes this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Which is best, FT8 or CW?

Easy answer...what is best for you.

EA8CAY, KI7HSB, M0ORH and 1 other person like this.
  4. WO2E

WO2E Ham Member QRZ Page

5. WO2E

WO2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I was saying the same years ago until i had a qso with another ham that was using a BUG, the computer was useless and my memory cw skills was very poor i had to learn cw quickly.

N3LAC likes this.
  6. GW0PLP

GW0PLP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8 as well as other data modes gives Hams with a hearing disability a means to communicate and enjoy the hobby. I use FT8 & also CW occasionally. My main interest is SSB live & let live.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    EA8CAY, AG8A, KK4HPY and 2 others like this.
  7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

What I like about FT8 is that I dont feel like a Cheater for letting the computer copy the data. For CW I use FLDIGI to Verify what I thought I heard in my head. Of course FLDIGI doesn't always get it right all the time either. But when a DX OP is ZOOMING along at 35 WPM, it sounds like a buzz. FT8 sounds like a warble and NO ONE Expects me to copy that by ear (though I would MARVEL at someone who COULD!)
    But with CW, many Judge you by how fast and accurately you can copy, I do pretty good at 13WPM with a pad of paper and pencil, But after that, I am ground into hamburger! So I really take my hat off to those GIFTED GENIUSs that can zip along at even 25WPM .

But then my wife hears English and has to translate it into Chinese to understand what she heard. I think in English and wouldn't have a clue on another language. SO I SUCK AT CW. But I am getting pretty good with FT8. In fact I am going to give a program on it at the next ARC of El Cajon meeting.
    The Audience of has a Choice!
    It's either 45 minutes of CAT VIDEOS, or 45 min on FT8!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    M0ORH and N3LAC like this.
  8. WA6MHZ

REMEMBER!!! Knowing CW is one thing! Being able to do it FAST is a whole NUTHER STORY!!!

N6VL likes this.
  9. WA6MHZ

the CW Whizzes say "all it takes is Practice!" Well, I have been practicing for over 50 years, and I'm not getting any better! In fact I am slowing down. Still think I can copy my Callsign

KK4HPY likes this.
  10. W9RAC

W9RAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hope never learned anything. Doing is the learner, let me know when your ready.......... 73 Rich

WN1MB likes this.
  11. VE9SBX

VE9SBX Ham Member QRZ Page

Being new in this hobby for me personally CW is best from an enjoyment and challenging factor. I enjoy learning and challenging myself and CW fit my personality more then FT8. Also, the legacy and history of CW in HAM radio give it a sense of romance by experiencing what the pioneers where doing in the early days.

As for any digital mode like FT8 they have their place and would probably outperform CW in terms of making contact in a certain amount of time I would imagine.

That’s my 2 cents

W4LJ likes this.
  12. W8QZ

W8QZ Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing to consider: FT-8 *never* gives the standard meaningless '5NN' signal report!

WB7QBO, 4X1ST and N3LAC like this.
  13. WA6MHZ

You will see me on the FT8 Bands! I am always the one who is -24!

14. M0ORH

M0ORH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's Some food for thought....
    My close friend from school is profoundly deaf, he is a radio amateur, He does digi modes, ie FT8, guess why??
    HE CANT HERE NOWT!!! so for him CW and SSB is a NO NO!!
    so everyone gets on their high horse about FT8, well just think, Amateur radio is for everyone, NOT just the able bodied!!
    Think before the inner keyboard warrior comes out!!

W4SPO, AC0GT, EA8CAY and 4 others like this.
  15. KH6DC

KH6DC Ham Member QRZ Page

Both!

W4LJ likes this.