ad: elecraft

What to look for in your SOTA Tent

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Sep 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. After 10 years of scouting and 128 overnight adventures, my definition of "roughing it in the wild" today is when room service forgets to put the mint on my hotel pillow in the evening.

NK8I, WD0BCT, UT7UX and 2 others like this.
  2. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah. Find one with a balcony, get a room on an upper floor and hang a wire off the balcony like Joe Walsh talked about doing back in the day. :D:cool:

KC7ZXY and N1IPU like this.
  3. KW9W

KW9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Multiple solar panels.

4. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What do I look for in a SOTA tent? One made to look like a large building with something like RAMADA or Holiday Inn in big bright lights on the outside.

WD0BCT likes this.
  5. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck hiking to the top of a mountain with *that*. :D

If I'm doing an overnight activation, I use a hammock and an Eno Housefly shelter. I can set up anywhere I have trees, even if the ground is rocky and on a slope (as was my last overnight SOTA activation). I haven't slept in a "proper" tent in years, even in winter temps down into the teens.

Chris

K7GYB and US7IGN like this.
  6. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Curious as to what tent you ended up getting, where was the trip to, how did it go, etc?? Thanks

US7IGN likes this.
  7. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I went with REI quarter dome two person. I like having the extra room too pull out and repack my backpack inside the tent.

WD0BCT and US7IGN like this.
  8. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone tried using aluminum tent poles as a counterweight for an antenna?

9. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the old model of the Tarptent Rainshadow 2.
    Two 1/2 pounds, silnylon, and giant! I love this tent.

Below are from last month's SOTA 20pt overnighter of Mts. Passaconaway & Whiteface. That is 3 complete sleep systems side-by-side (because my dog gets one too!) with room to spare!

The bags are GIANT Hyperlyte Mountain Gear Porter 5400s. And I did bring the 891 with 15ah bioenno and ldg tuner per routine for nearly a 40 pound pack (yuck).

Mindy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KG5AHJ, K7GYB, KC7ZXY and 3 others like this.
  10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Having lived beyond the tenting stage of my life (which covered minimal to maximum tent sizes) I can say that after retiring a tent that allowed me to stand fully upright while inside was appreciated. A cot was also much preferred for sleeping and just sitting upon during inclement weather. Being huddled close to the ground holds no appeal when getting up becomes a challenge!

I now limit portable operating to day trips to an available picnic table....covered if possible.

W1YW, KU4X, KC7ZXY and 1 other person like this.