Using The International Phonetic Alphabet

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX4W, Mar 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes that is a good thing, it sorts correctly with any normal sort instead of requiring a date sort ;)

I end my report files for example, Report-XYZ-2019-03-10.rpt and they sort perfect

WU8Y and KR3DX like this.
  2. G3NYY

G3NYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in the UK, we have always pronounced it as "Kwee-Beck".

And Z is "Zed", not "Zee"!

Walt (G 3 New York Yankees)

3. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Walt,
    There are several alternate pronunciations of Quebec.
    However, when using ITU/ICAO/NATO phonetics, it should always be pronounced as directed in the standard.
    Coincidentally, the standard pronunciation is also very close to the way Quebec is pronounced in the Canadian Province of Quebec.

How to pronounce Q
    (QUEBEC)

4. KG5CJA

KG5CJA Ham Member QRZ Page

That's nice.

5. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

November Lima Seven What?
    NL7 What checking in... or, NL7 Wow checking in... or, NL7 doble ve checking in.

Whiskey is for my men, beer for my horses.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  6. W8LV

W8LV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"ZED" in Canada as well...

7. KS3O

KS3O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I find it interesting that the OP states it is an international standard. Funny, I have contested against many "experienced" hams from all over the world, and hardly any of them solely use the "standard" phonetic alphabet. Personally, I start with the standard phonetics, and switch to other common words if the person on the other end doesn't understand or is struggling. It's very common to get a mix of standard and other phonetics mixed together by many international hams. For instance, I would call W3AO Whiskey - three-Alpha - Oscar, where some of the international community (and very old experienced local hams) would call it (Whiskey Three Atlantic Ocean). I know there are some armchair warriors who denigrate those who don't use the "correct" phonetic. I've even seen youtube videos dedicated to bashing a particular ham for using an "illegal" phonetic. Oh well to each their own. It is interesting on dx contests when I start with the accepted words and have to switch it up after 4 or 5 attempts to get the person on the other end to understand me while using the standard alphabet.

Scott Sauvageot
    KS3O (Kilo Sierra Three Oscar).

KR3DX, RZ1O and K3SZ like this.
  8. 2E0IIT

2E0IIT Ham Member QRZ Page

It is important to stick to the correct enunciation, saying each syllable clearly, this guidance was designed by US researchers in the 1950's to maximise international intelligibility.

9. 2E0IIT

2E0IIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Strange, in the UK it was a formal requirement to only use the (American devised) NATO Phonetic Alphabet - which was chosen to facilitate communication especially between international pilots when not everyone was a native speaker. Only in recent years has it changed to a "recommendation" to use the NATO system. In my limited experience I have already encountered non-standard phonetics leading to completely incorrect transcription of a maidenhead locator.

W8LV likes this.
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Which is excellent but it isn't always the same thing as intelligibility on a poor HF channel with QRM/QRN.

My hypothesis about why that is:

A) Higher voice frequencies tend be more easily copied than lower, hence the desire for "punchy" audio by DXers and contesters. For phonetics it tends to be the sharp consonants in a word, with their higher frequency content, that are more easily understood than the softer consonants under those conditions. Take Uniform vs. United. The "t" and "d" in united is sharper than the "f" and "m" in Uniform.

B) Longer words tend be more effective than short words, because there is more of a pattern for the receiving op to recognize. This is especially true with fading, QRM, or static crashes where a syllable might be missed, rendering a short word unreadable but a long word could still be understood. Take Golf vs. Germany or Mike vs. Mexico or Alpha vs. America.

Of course sometimes non-standard phonetics also don't work well or are confusing, which simply reinforces the fact that nothing works 100% under poor conditions!

UT7UX, KR3DX, KV6O and 2 others like this.