Two Metres: Re-Allocation?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Jul 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Only in an emergency, and I would use my call sign. Which is totally beside the point. Did you really not understand the point of my post?

KN4WCI likes this.
  2. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

If the spectrum chart I am viewing is correct there appears to be 6-Mhz just below the 2-meter Amateur Band (138-144 Mhz) allocated for Fixed/Mobile that could be used. Why couldn't that part of the spectrum be reallocated? Every time I read a thread about the French taking 144-148 Mhz I smell something bad. It smells like dead fish....

KI4AX

K4XJ and KC8VWM like this.
  3. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

the PETITION is over 150.000 firms ...great !

NEWs 5 july :

REF sent a letter of opposition to CEPT. The national amateur radio associations are represented by the IARU which is the only one with the right to vote. I imagine there are informal dialogues with the equivalent of the Ministry of Communications. The IARU invited everyone not to express themselves formally until the next August meeting.

But no one opposed it, except for the IARU, and therefore the proposal rather than being dead in the bud, will arrive at the next conference. There is nothing to be happy about.

4. G1XXV

G1XXV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not only are the French after the 2 meter band they are also after the 23 cms band. I put my plans to get a Icon 9700 on hold pending the outcome. I don't want to waste £1700 (approx. $2000) on a radio I can't use two thirds of.

W5MIL likes this.
  5. KJ4ADN

KJ4ADN Ham Member QRZ Page

Quote: "The International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) was present as an observer at the Prague meeting and energetically opposed..."
    IMHO, that's the end of it. It's gonna be pretty difficult to touch the band with more repeaters than all other bands combined, the most HT radios, etc., who writes this crap anyhow? 2 meters is the primary band for "our" local emergency communications, because there ARE so many repeaters and propagation of it is 'just about right' 95% of the time for good, local communications in FM / DATA modes. This is going *nowhere* - they'll channelize-digitize or something else the Airplane stuff. We had a radio on 123MHz for months, with a OSJ antenna tuned specifically for it, at a decent elevation (my kids are in CAP, 2 are pilots) - if you think 2 meter repeaters are quiet, give this Air band a listen.

I call B.S. on this, and the guy who posted the stupid Youtube video (probably making MONEY on his click bait). I got pinged by several people, "Bill - you gotta help, spread the word, they're taking away 2 meters, and nobody is standing up for us!!!" Take away the primary band a Technician Class operator uses - ...yeah, right! Ain't gonna happen.

K4XJ likes this.
  6. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Why don't they use AM UHF like they do here in the U.S. for Gov & Mil see if that works ?

7. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

If they do take away that part of the 2# meter band we should go to war with FRANCE ! Hi Hi Keep your DAMN hands off our BANDS !!! Phil KI6PMD..

8. IU0JZN

IU0JZN Ham Member QRZ Page

9. WA4LJJ

WA4LJJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm in the US, but S*** flows downhill . . . . . Guessin' we're next.

10. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

in 2012 Light-squared lobbied the US congress, senate and FCC to start operating an air-cellular network on GPS frequencies.

It was only after considerable effort and money spent along with objection by the US DOD reminding all parties involved that Loran C had been shut down some years earlier and that GPS was needed for all critical navigation.

At the beginning it was a tough fight and it appeared that the FCC wasn't caving in and it took 10's of millions of dollars by GPS Mfg to reverse this decision.

Now seeing how important GPS is and seeing how unimportant the FCC considers us hams to be, if there is any money to be made by anyone by re-purposing 2 meters to companies with very deep pockets then the chances of the FCC/US government going along with the French proposal is pretty high.

NL7W and K0OKS like this.