Two Metres: Re-Allocation?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Jul 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KB2HSH

KB2HSH Ham Member QRZ Page

2m FM is NOTHING like it used to be here in FN02. But you still have satellite, HSMS, and weak-signal on those bands. 144.174 MHz FT8 is popular around here, and even THEN...there's always EME.

KB2HSH

N0WBA likes this.
  2. K9MIS

K9MIS Ham Member QRZ Page

In my neck of the woods (Northern WI and Michigan Upper Peninsula), there are numerous unlicensed 2 meter mobile operators using VHF as an upgrade from CB radio. They are on mostly for hunting activities. I don't think the FCC is going to try to police the north woods. This won't work.
    Additionally- As a pilot and a Radio Amateur I am very aware of the antiquated waste of spectrum represented by aviation communications. They abandon antique navigation equipment frequently (VOR's and NDB's). The AM voice channels are a huge waste of spectrum. Aviation has plenty of bandwidth, they need to manage it better.

YO5PUV, NL7W and K0MAN like this.
  3. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand the Paris climate convention indicated the need to minimize air travel, and bovine methane gas expulsion, among many other things. It may stand to reason that trains, and ships, will not need this spectrum, once the planes are all scrapped out.

N0WBA and KD8ZM like this.
  4. KS4KY

KS4KY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It would just turn into CB you cant stop all 350,000+ technicians.

5. DL6BCX

DL6BCX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

German radio amateurs are well organizised and our DARC is doing his job well. Germany is close to France and we heard very early about the danger of loosing 2 metres. I am wondering, that other neighbour countries e.g. The Netherlands, Denmark... etc. are not acting immediately. The reason might be the DARC with a lot of personnel power and good financial situation. We have to be more than vigilant! We should all inform all who are dealing with that. I am 66 years and I do not want to see in my life that we are leaving the 2 metres band.

YO5PUV likes this.
  6. VE1CHW

VE1CHW Ham Member QRZ Page

If AM is changed to SSB they will have twice as many frequencies , then if the speak English the have an other 1/3.

7. CT7ANU

CT7ANU Ham Member QRZ Page

Leave it to the french to ruin everything. Everything

8. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

DON'T EXAGGERATE! I heard they did something good with fried potatoes, once. :)

WS4JM and AD5HR like this.
  9. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't you mean "freedom fries?
    They did make some tasty toast, though.

10. N8ZI

N8ZI Ham Member QRZ Page

The same thing is coming to the 2M band in USA. Corporate money buys Government officials. Everyone thinks it's cool to use DMR, EchoLink and various other VHF digital modes to the point analog repeaters are dead. Once officials catch wind of inactive segments, they will take them away because no one is using them. The digital guys will be crammed in a tiny space and everything else will be off limits. "Use it or lose it" turned into, "don't worry, they will never take it" yet now it is becoming, "Damn, they are taking it".