ad: ProAudio-1

Two Metres: Re-Allocation?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jul 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

With all due respect sir... That statement would keep a hot air balloon aloft for hours.

You are correct in saying the frequencies in question will be used. But, they will not be used by ham radio operators.

I am not in favor of losing two meters either. But, be realistic, breaking the law is not what ham radio is all about. If the two meter frequencies are reallocated, I will stop using the two meter frequencies. Most hams will also cease to operate two meters. Those who don't should remember that the Federal Government still levies fines and builds prisons. That, sir, is the reality of it; no matter how much you dislike it.

Reallocation will not be a choice, it will be a law... We, as ham radio operators will obey the law. Threats and rash statements start wars and get innocent people hurt. They do not solve anything.

John
    K4AGO

YO5PUV likes this.
  2. K4AGO

the two meter repeaters are quiet in my area of the east coast.
    John
    K4AGO

3. K4AGO

I wouldn't bet on EME saving two meters from reallocation.
    John
    K4AGO

4. G0RQQ

G0RQQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand the Dutch authorities have taken a “Hmm - not necessarily a bad idea” response to the French proposal.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  5. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

6. G0RQQ

It should be noted that Thales is not suggesting kicking hams out of 144-146MHz, but reducing our status to “Secondary.”
    Taking a somewhat cynical approach, if I were Thales then I would make sure that my equipment operated on repeater output channels and other well-used frequencies such as FT8, bleat about “interference from a Secondary user” and then request exclusivity....

7. G0RQQ

Swiss authorities have suggested Amateur and Aeronautical Mobile should be “Co-Primary” for 144 - 146MHz. Not sure how that would work...

8. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

The precedents are 80 m in Region 1 and 70 cm in Region 1 and 3.

For a very long time, since at least 1947 3500-3800 kHz have been shared co-primary between amateur, fixed and mobile services. and 430-440 MHz between radiolocation and amateur radio since 1959.

In perspective that amateur usage of spectrum has been constantly diminishing during the past decade, and as occupancy measurements on 144 MHz show extremely low use even in metropolitan areas, there would probably not be too many problems.

The outcomes are however critically dependent on the drone datalink design and system budgets.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

9. G0RQQ

Yes, Karl-Arne, your last sentence exactly sums up my thoughts.

Regards,
    Keith

10. G0RQQ

Perhaps one compromise would be to retain the 2m Space allocation as “Exclusive” to protect ISS and satellite uplink/downlinks?

G3SEA likes this.
  11. KK6RPX

KK6RPX Ham Member QRZ Page

Other than helping us win the revolution? Giving us the statue of Liberty? Inventing the stethoscope, photo lithography, pasteurization, smokeless gunpowder...

To drag it back OT: 2m is plenty active around here. I think being rural and having poor cell phone coverage is a factor. And in the good timing department, the XYL gave me a call on 2m while I was writing this!

KF5VUD likes this.
  12. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the simplest and easiest thing to do would be to tell France, "No".

13. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't be so quick to pick on the French for requesting frequency reallocation to paying users because the Britts are now going after other users frequencies.
    OFCOM request moving non aviation users in the 960 to 1154 MHz navigation band.

https://www.cept.org/files/9522/Draft ECC Report 306.docx

UK OFCOM has requested putting broadcast services wireless mics and other wireless devices in the 960 to 1154 aviation band which is presently being heavily used by TACAN, UAT/ADS-B, transponders, DME and other critical aviation navigation users including the military.

A questionare went out to many major avionics companies 2 weeks ago and the consensus of 99% of the aviation electronic manufacturers worldwide was to approve the OFCOM request to place no aviation users in the 960 to 1154 MHz band in return for reallocation of other VHF non-aviation frequencies for new aviation electronic device use.

Take it for whatever this frequency swap means but lets face it there are hundreds of millions of dollars sitting on these frequencies and I seriously doubt that any government is going to stand by and let these frequencies be used by one single group that isn't generating any revenue.

I doubt that hams will have any pull because it looks like sharing of critical NAVIGATION and other non revenue generating frequencies to those who will pay for them is going to be the new norm from now on.

Here are more frequency request that are presented, in particular see ECC 306 for more of the above 960-1154 sharing.
    https://cept.org/ecc/tools-and-services/ecc-public-consultation

14. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

We will not lose all of 2 meters.

Now a days the highest bidder wins.

Maybe we can trade and get 11 meters back. :rolleyes:

15. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think with the huge number amateurs on 2 meters vs the small numbers of airplanes "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". Doesn't the aeronautical service already have a large chunk of band on HF that is nearly un-used? Amateur radio service has always been secondary when it comes to radio spectrum allocations, but I think its rather unfair to take the 2 meter band after so many have invested so much money and time into repeaters and such.