Two Metres: Re-Allocation?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Jul 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

So you are going to be a VHF freebander?

K4AGO likes this.
  2. K3CXG

K3CXG Ham Member QRZ Page

"Cherchez la vache!" (from Monte Python and the Holy Grail)

73 DE K3CXG Mike

VA7UO and W8LV like this.
  3. W9CPY

W9CPY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My big concern is that, here in the Midwest, 2 meters seems like a dead band, outside of the odd net. I travel the state of Wisconsin and upper Michigan on a regular basis, and it's dead quiet most of the time. I can't speak for the coasts, but I also think we have a "use it or lose" it issue here. My hometown of Wausau has something like 11 repeaters, all of them very, very quiet. Possession of equipment does not equate to use of the frequency!

K4AGO, K9MIS, KE0EJE and 1 other person like this.
  4. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Thales' predecessor, Thomson-CSF, evolved from Compagnie Française Thomson-Houston (CFTH), which was established in 1893. However Thomson-CSF itself was established in 1968 when Thomson-Brandt (then renamed CFTH) merged its electronics arm with that of Compagnie Générale de Télégraphie Sans Fil (CSF).

Thales formed a joint venture with Raytheon in June 2001 to combine their radar and communications systems divisions. Named ThalesRaytheonSystems, the firm is 50% owned by both parent companies. The joint venture was restructured in 2016 to switch focus exclusively on NATO agencies and NATO memeber states.

In 2002 Thales set up the joint venture company Armaris with the French shipbuilder DCN to offer a total "bottom up" shipbuilding capability.

In 2002, Thales Broadcast Multimedia, a former subsidiary of Thales, provided China with standard short-wave radio-broadcasting equipment designed for general public radio broadcasting. Although the contract was not at all for the purpose of jamming foreign radio stations broadcasting to China, it now appears that this is what the ALLISS antennas are being used for.

In 2003 Thales UK's design won the competition for the Royal Navy Future Carrier (CVF) and the company now participates in an alliance company with BAE Systems and the UK Ministry of Defence.

Thales Navigation, a division that produced GPS units, was sold to private equity group Shah Capital Partners in 2006 for $170 million and renamed Magellan.

5. KE0EJE

KE0EJE Ham Member QRZ Page

a few 2m nets here, nothing else. 70cm is dead here. Sold my vhf gear because of it

6. G1XXV

G1XXV Ham Member QRZ Page

The French also want the 23 cms band so watch out 9700 buyers they could be obsolete within a year.

7. KF5VUD

KF5VUD Ham Member QRZ Page

If that's your attitude, why did you bother going to the trouble of getting licensed in the first place? ... and in fact, not just getting licensed, but upgrading from Tech to General?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  8. N9TOM

N9TOM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Our OLD CB Handles!

9. KB2E

KB2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is the kind of thing that happens when certain parts of the spectrum are all but abandoned by those who they are allocated to. 2 meters, although not a long distance band can be quite a bit of fun, well it used to be anyway when people used it. Suddenly we have radios being built that do 160-70cm AM/FM/CW and SSB and all you hear is silence unless you're using the "telephone" (repeaters). So with the quest for space people who want that space make a case. Nobody is ever there so why can't we have it? That's a hard argument to defend against. It's not like 6, 10, 12 and even 15. When they're open they are in use! On any given day with 100 watts and a good INEXPENSIVE beam I can make SSB Q's out to 300 or more miles. There's plenty of ops out here in that range. I guess my question is why do you have to be talking to someone 1000 or more miles away? Get on 2 and call CQ. The more people who do it the more who will be there to listen and participate. I can rag chew with a guy in Arizona in the middle of winter and complain about how cold it is here or I can rag chew with a guy whose antenna is on top of his apartment building in NYC, 300 miles away and listen to him complain about the garbage on the street under the 14 inches of snow Hi Hi! Even a guy 75 or 80 miles away, what's the difference, you're having a chat, you called CQ? Pretty soon if we don't start using the band the same thing will happen here.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    KA2K, K9MIS and KD8ZM like this.
  10. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said. I have no interest in 2m and wouldn't notice if it went away, but it's a shame that all of these people suddenly coming out of the woodwork about how precious 2m is to them, aren't using the band so that the ARRL has a basis for defending it. Here in Ohio it is dead, outside of a few special events.