ad: Alphaant-1

The LONGEST DX? Possible Alien Signal from Proxima Centauri

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Dec 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a considerable embarrassment to the effort.

M1WML likes this.
  2. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was curious who that was on RS-44 Satellite the other day I did not know his call sign ? ZXX73BIG DX wow ! If I had only known WOW sure hope I get a QSL card before the year 3648 ! maybe they use E-QSL ? you never know who just might be on the "BIRDS" 73' Phil see you on the next pass..

M1WML likes this.
  3. IW7ED

IW7ED Ham Member QRZ Page

Its wonderful....

M1WML likes this.
  4. W6SDM

W6SDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope they have QSL cards... or at least are signed up on LotW.

K8PG, KC1OCA, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  5. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Chip SETI research is usually done on PI times Hydrogen The hydrogen line is approximately 1420 Mhz I'm not going to list out the huge number but calculation go all the way down to HZ, and PI out to as many digits as the computer can calculate... The resonance frequency of neutral state Hydrogen is a fixed number varied from here by Doppler Shift and the logical multiplying number would be PI. They use PI, 2PI, and 3PI as multipliers. 3Pi puts the frequency up in the 13 GHz band. This is pretty cool stuff...
    Erika DD

M1WML likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Erika,

Well, that is certainly one option!

In general SETI concentrates on the microwave window, which is a frequency range from 800 MHz to 10 GHz. That range is where the sky has the least amount of noise. Essentially, a natural lull in the cosmic 'noise floor'. So for a given amount of ERP (power) you have the best chance that your signal will be detected if you transmit somewhere in there;-)

Of course hydrogen has its own hi Q 'line' in that passband, so the noise floor is pretty bad around 1420.. It would be like transmitting on 6M on top of someone else. But frequencies off the hydrogen line are fair game.

Chip W1YW

M1WML likes this.
  7. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Right the galaxy is mapped using the Hydrogen line. It's a nice frequency because it is naturally generated, and screams right through the atmosphere. So right at 1420 would have all sorts of noise as you mentioned. BUT a multiple is a nice place. and USe down in the high UHF regions and low microwaves is bad as there's a LOT of terrestrial noise. Not al lot flying around once you get way up there. OOps got to pull dinner out of the oven. Nice week all DD

M1WML and W1YW like this.
  8. WB2YMU

WB2YMU Ham Member QRZ Page

Cellphone bands......ET phone home....

M1WML and W1YW like this.
  9. W8DPW

W8DPW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

LONG TIME BETWEEN TRANSMISSIONS I SUSPECT

M1WML and K0UO like this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

1.4Ghz I'm ready to make contact with a legal alien / the illegals are around here every day.

K8PG and M1WML like this.
  11. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Could i use this for my mobile?

M1WML likes this.
  12. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Whomever, whatever it is probably won't confirm using LoTW. :rolleyes:

M1WML, VK2WP, W1YW and 1 other person like this.
  13. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

A fun topic anyway and maybe they are saying "phone home". In one story Asimov suggested the way to communicate is just to keep talking and not wait for a reply as any response can be slipped in later. Sagan's Contact discussed a palimpsest type of transmission, with multiple layers of data sandwiched on top of one another. Here's a Dutch medium wave pirate station that seems to know how to do interstellar transmissions. Click the QSL for full size.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  14. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe I should sign up for 5G service!

15. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page