The LONGEST DX? Possible Alien Signal from Proxima Centauri

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Dec 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KL7KN

KL7KN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You may wish to read the posted article...and also note the source

M1WML likes this.
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I did read the article. What is your point?

M1WML likes this.
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So back to the original point I was wondering about a couple pages ago, in the context of the thread title about long DX ...

If all it takes is 100 kW, and high-gain antennas, electronics, and signal analysis at our current level of technology or better, that's conceivable. And assuming that is really is an alien transmission and not someone warming up interstellar burritos, then the question occurs, were they (the aliens, not the buritto warmers) deliberately pointing the beam at us? Was this a deliberate attempt at communication with us, probably known throughout the galaxy as the noisy planet that has been QRMing the universe for the past roughly 100 years? Was it a signal that, in effect, was the Proxima Centauri equivalent of "QRL" - "The frequency is in use. Please do not interfere ?"

Or was it the intergalactic equivalent of "UP LID".

OR, was this an omnidirectional CQ? At several trillion watts into a ground-plane monopole? Or a free-space dipole?

Several trillions watts sounds like a lot, but actually, it is 'only' the order of magnitude of total solar flux on a 4000 square mile area. So, a solar cell the size of Connecticutt could do that. The problem is finding a coax cable that can carry a trillion Watts. Probably not something in stock at HRO. And a connector for such a fat cable, to plug it into a 1 GHz ground plane antenna ?

Sorry. Saturday night and I'm into free-association mode.

Now I've got a craving for burittos or even burritos. Where's the nearest Taco Bell?

AA9VZ, M1WML and KM6DYO like this.
  4. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've heard Romulan Ale goes great with PC burittos. It was in a movie somewhere...

Regards,
    -Bruce

M1WML, KM6DYO and W1YW like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

farm loweracreage.JPG
    Ron, if you hybridize a phased array with a solar collector you get an 'aperture engine'. If you have, for example, over 80% efficiency, then you have, on earth, about 1.1KW per square meter irradiance. Assume similar values at the ET planet .

If you have a 300 by 300 meter array you have 10^5 KW 'stellar power' collected by the aperture engine. At 1 GHz, with reasonable efficiency of said 'dual use' aperture engine (collects plus transmits with same area) you get a gain of 70 dB thereabouts from that aperture as an antenna at RF. So your ERP is 1,000,000,000,000 watts. You can see its not that difficult to get there ERP-wise. All you need is a modest area. Feel free to check the numbers.

I like to dream when I stare out at the lower acreage (above) at the farm and realize that an aperture engine placed there would be detectable through a sizeable portion of the galaxy. It often depresses me how powerless I am to enable that kind of power in my lifetime, which in this COVID situation, feels even more fleeting...

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    WQ4G and M1WML like this.
  6. KC1CCG

KC1CCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I've read that the signal is coherent but no modulation. Also it drifts a little...they must be pretty advanced to drive a dish with megawatts from an old school VFO. 980 MHz is an area begging for ambient (terrestrial) signals as the source, vs LGM. If stray carriers were the indication of aliens my house would be crawling with aliens instead of squirrels. The squirrels are allocated X-band on a secondary basis with the Guardians of the Space Force.

AE0HR, WQ4G, KK4CUL and 3 others like this.
  7. G0JTB

G0JTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Unlikely to be aliens. Proxima Centauri B is almost certainly uninhabitable.

M1WML likes this.
  8. W5NNX

W5NNX QRZ Member QRZ Page

FreeBanders

KK4CUL, K4MID, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  9. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Most hams don't.

M1WML and AJ6KZ like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page