ad: MLSons-1

Should QRZ allow discussion of Politics and Religon?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 28, 2008.

?

Should QRZ allow discussion of politics and religon?

Poll closed Aug 4, 2008.
  1. NO, politics and religon don't belong on QRZ.

489 vote(s)
    77.1%
  2. Yes, we should keep the forum open and active.

145 vote(s)
    22.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Tivo Community Forums used to allow political discussions all the time.

Needless to say, it got WAY out of hand, and several on both "sides" were banned for their actions.

Then the owner (David Bott) got rid of the politics, and the site has seen less bad behavior and fewer bannings.

This is a large, successful site that has a cult like following. In many respects it is similar to QRZ - a bunch of technology addicted people who center around a particular hobby.

We do not need political discussions here, Fred. It is ruining the site and creating enemies within the ranks.

Other sites have tried political discussion sections or simply allowing politics on their sites, but it all ended up in a big ball of fire.

Do the right thing and nuke the political forum, Fred. Trust me on this one.

2. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred, you beat me to the post - that was my question, why does it matter if there is a PJ forum if you don't go there...... and if it bothers you, then "why" do you even go there? I doubt I have been to the PJ more than 1 or 2 times a yr - just not interested in the yammering that goes on in most of the posts.

My feeling is leave them in - that gives a place to keep as much junk as possible away from the Tech questions 'n answers where I tend to hang out more..... and let's face it Fred, the more folks that come by, the more ad reveune you get - and that is important to support the site.

Good move to open the topic for discussion.... Hats off to you Fred.

73 de Ken H.

3. N2IZE

N2IZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Question ? If you are looking for technical answers to technical questions why then would you even bother wading through the "Politiical Junkie" ? Why not go directly to one of the technical forums provided ? Thats what I would do. For example, if I have a technical question regaerding computers I would go to the "Computers and Software" forum and ask my question there. The whole purpose of the "Political Junkie" was to relieve the more technically oriented forums of political expression as a means of maintaining focus. Or at least that is what I thought the purpose of "political junkie" was.

4. W6GQ

W6GQ Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Your political signature nuked as well?

5. NJ9C

NJ9C Ham Member QRZ Page

Politics yes.......

As I see it, anything hams talk about on the air is fair game on an internet forum. I hear alot of chatter on 75 meters about politics in general. What I have heard is pretty tame. People should be able to express themselves without getting carried away and saying something ignorant.

In the days of the Iron Curtain I had many enjoyable QSO's with UA and SP stations that would amaze many people today how open and free people were to talk about their political systems and leaders via ham radio.

6. N2IZE

N2IZE Ham Member QRZ Page

For what its worth. As bad as many hams here might think the political discussions on the "Political Junkie" are believe me, they are rather civil and respectful, compared to many other political venues on the Internet. The PJ forum is one of the few places I can enter a political discussion and draw reasonable responses with at least some degree of dignity and respect. Sure, it gets emotional and out of hand sometimes. Things are not always nice and can get a bit nasty at times. But still, far better than many other places that I've seen. Don't believe me ? Try joining some of the political newsgroups and see what the meaning of disrespect and pure vitriol and bitter hate really is. The PJ forum is quite tame by comparison. Ditto for the craziness that goes on on many other political forums on the net. The PJ forum is mild by comparison.

As for those looking for just for technical discussion why bother going to the PJ forum at all ? For those who find PJ distateful it is simple enough to avoid it altogether.

7. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Tough Question

While I don't like the way a lot of the discussions go, I like less seeing people cut out of a forum just because they have an opinion. So I'd have to say keep it.

A related problem is that I don't see how the topics can be removed from general discussion--say a ham from a rare xenophobic country with a very poor international reputation posts that his/her station will be operating soon. Could we discuss working this one without bringing in the circumstances that have made the country rare, its government, economy, etc.? Suppose it's persecuting one religious or ethnic group and that's big in the news. Could we discuss the operation without mentioning this? Obviously there are many other examples where politics and religion overlap a hobby that deals with the world. While we should observe reasonable decorum in our discussions, to ignore the "facts on the ground" seems like internal censorship.

Yahoo took off its discussion boards because of some really gross and nasty posts, but there was also a lot of intelligent discussion going on, and some very interesting links got passed around. Losing the good stuff because of a few pathetic yammerheads seems like a poor trade. We should think this one out carefully, which is what seems to be going on.

8. W9MAV

W9MAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have found nothing but super cruel arguments on the political part of the qrz forum. Most of the forums members I have met have been very kind. (Some!)

I love this forum it is way more active then eham I think we should take off the political part of the forum.

Dave

9. W9VER

W9VER Ham Member QRZ Page

R

QRZ should represent itself the "best" as to what really happens on ham radio. Politics and Religion should NOT be discussed, and I don't think you should discuss Hamsexy, and other adult sites. Keep this site SAFE for the kids, and some religion and Politiclical talk on these boards, I would NOT want my nephew to even SEE.

MAKE QRZ A FAMILY FRIENDLY SITE. :mad:

10. N9VO

N9VO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I think your decision has already been made. I agree with using my mouse as a vfo. If I don't like what is in an area, I should spin on by. With that said, I do understand your desire to "clean up" qrz. Past allowances will be hard to change. It wasn't too long ago that you admitted that moderators could/would/do change postings just to "have a little fun". Now you want to start selective censorship. What a concept............

It's hard to keep the hog's in the fence once they have rooted the other side. Good luck and thanks for a great site.

I would strongly suggest that if you deep six the politics and religion, then you should get rid of all the fancy tag lines.

11. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One big reason could be that some carry their fights with others to other areas of the forum.

12. N0FPE

N0FPE Ham Member QRZ Page

Lose it

Just lose it. No one will lose any sleep over it. Its a waste of server and bandwidth. Use the space for something of real interest, like where to get the best hot dogs or where to buy a $10k radio for $5K !! You know IMPORTANT STUFF!!!

dan

13. K5FH

K5FH Ham Member QRZ Page

The way I see it, there are two choices:

1) Dump the Political Junkie forum, or

2) Drastically tighten up the moderating.

I vote for doing both, but dumping PJ is the easier route.

A good friend who moderates another, non-ham board, tells me that they created a forum similar to PJ because of all the political discussions that were spilling over into the main subject matter. Same results as on QRZ - vicious personal attacks, flaming via PM and name-calling. They're now debating whether to dump their political forum. I'm told that they probably will because it's more trouble than it's worth to the moderators...but that's because their mods actually enforce the board's terms of service.

Hate to say it, but QRZ's mods let a lot of stuff slide that wouldn't be tolerated on other boards. I have seen people on other boards get booted for doing even ONCE the kind of things that some posters do on PJ every day.

The PJ forum is rapidly degenerating into another RRAP. Either dump it or start doing some heavy moderating of the forum. Doing nothing will only delay the inevitable.

14. N2OBS

N2OBS Ham Member QRZ Page

People of the world of amateur radio

All of our opinions and yes i have an opinion as well on this subject. Any conversation should be allowed from the many diversities that ham radio occupies be allowed.....but we have many different viewpoints, experiences, lifestyles, etc. but there MUST be respect toward everybody. When an operator broadcast their voice, opinion or whatever the control point of themselves should be respect. It's an easy balance that has been around since the beginning of recorded history but those who force their opinion or themselves are the ones who ruin the enjoyment of any hobby. For me personally enjoy the many diversities that amateur radio has become but it was originally created to communicate and passing emergency traffic having first priority over any person. That's why when there is an emergency on amateur radio spectrum or any part of the frequency spectrum it has priority over anything else. Having been a licensed amateur radio operator since 1991 have had experienced mostly good but some bad with this hobby. As i feel when they removed the requirement of morse code should have brought the part 97 rules into the examination so the potential amateur can have also a understanding that comes along with the license comes great responsibility behind that microphone whether in general conversation occasionally or daily anytime a person gets behind that microphone and speaks they should consider what their saying is for the benefit or selfish like hearing some in the transmission. Not being perfect myself but ever learning and adapting as amateur radio has become should these words never be forgotten:

97.1 Basis and purpose. The rules and regulations in this part are designed to provide an amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:
    (a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the
    public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly
    with respect to providing emergency communications.
    (b) Continuation and extension of the amateur’s proven ability to contribute
    to the advancement of the radio art.
    (c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules
    which provide for advancing skills in both the communication and technical
    phases of the art.
    (d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service
    of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.
    (e) Continuation and extension of the amateur’s unique ability to enhance
    international goodwill.

We can express our opinions but in the very end it's up to the webmaster choosing from the majority who visit on a regular basis. QRZ has been enjoying, educating but could become like some speak of other websites uncontrolled but this one has been somewhat controlled better than most. It should remain focused upon amateur radio and not become another out there just for titillation because it will become part of the blurred websites that i never return because those have lost their substance and educational materials.

15. KF4VGX

KF4VGX Ham Member QRZ Page

The worlds is round with all types of people in it.

Fred ,I was listening on a few amateur bands last night.

Heard some guy preaching another talking about his ex wife.
    Then some guy talking politics etc. Some cussing some whining.

Same thing on the band that goes on here on QRZ
    If its not discussed here it will still be discussed,somewhere.
    Not a big deal to me .
    Perhaps some lack the will power to avoid those conversations that are not suited to their taste . Just turn the VFO and let em have at it.
    Same logic for QRZ .Don't like what you read avoid the topic.

Have a little will power ,it goes a long way.

With respect to Fred and the QRZ fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.