ad: MyersEng-1

Search feature useless, please help…

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by W3KW, Dec 7, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W3KW

W3KW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is what I get no matter what topic I search for, even my own content:

upload_2023-12-6_22-42-9.jpeg
    What am I doing wrong? I’ve tried forum group specific searches as well. No matter what topic I search for, I get “no results found.”

I am able to search for posts by callsign. That’s it.

Thanks in advance.

Wes

2. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3. W3KW

I just searched for ten tec century 21. No dashes. Zero returns. I’ve posted that topic 50 times. Frustrating. We need a new search feature asap.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Instant gratification isn't always possible.

Dave
    W7UUU

5. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just searched for the word century with the titles only and this forum only boxes checked in the Ham Gear For Sale forum and got 2 pages of results for Ten Tec Century 21. Try it.

6. W3KW

I give up.

7. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Try using quotes: "Century 21"

upload_2023-12-8_0-48-56.png

8. W3KW

I get it, but how many ways must I search for a given topic before I find success? How many threads am I missing out on? Very frustrating. Searches used to return all manner of results. Not so much anymore. I’m using EEVblog and antique radio forums now. Sadly, those alternatives are a much better use of my time. (Sadly, because I pay money for QRZ, and those are free)

9. W3KW

Jeff-

I typed Century 21 in the search box and here are my results:

upload_2023-12-8_8-49-52.png

10. WR2E

Same here when quotes are not used.

I agree with you though, xenforo search 5uck5.

I find that enclosing the search term in quotes often gets the desired result.

11. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

@W3KW

There is something about searching for a two digit number that causes problems possibly because it is too short.

I was able to find your content on the Century 21 by searching on the word century and putting your callsign into the member box. Be sure the checkboxes are not selected.

12. WR2E

I believe any search term less than three characters is rejected. If the search term contains such, I believe the entire search is rejected.

Adding the quotes to the search term forces a 'literal' search on exactly that term.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
  13. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I understand that, and tried it but it didn’t work. There’s some issue or inconsistency with the search function in this case that is a little more complex.

W3KW likes this.
  14. WR2E

The quotes you mean didn't work? That's weird! I've always been successful with them.

15. WR2E

I see that even in quotes the search still rejects the 21 because it is too short, but will still perform the search based on the word "century" and as a result will find threads containing "century 21" but it won't be exclusive.

I think the boolean operators can also be used : AND +, NOT -, OR |

But that's pretty much it for the search function, which 5uck5.

W3KW likes this.