ad: wmr-1

San Jacinto Radio Ham arrested

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WA6ARC

WA6ARC Ham Member QRZ Page

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree.

There's always been lids and there have been "some" whackers even back in the early days of RACES work, but absolutely nothing like today. And as pointed out earlier, there's been a "code free Tech" for about 20 years now, so just because someone was licensed in the 90s doesn't mean they ever took a code test.

I was in RACES myself back in the 60s. It was run entirely by Civil Defense and Disaster Control, and involved weekly training. Nobody ever took it upon him/herself to to anything independently; there was a strict infrastructure and command system, and you assisted when asked by the Director or his assigned deputies. Until the command came through, you sat and waited. We were a communications team and were trained only to set up fairly quick and effective comms systems in the field, using mostly CD-issued equipment (not our own).

Although the "need" for this has been greatly reduced over the years, especially in our modern era of cell phones and such, it would be nice if those so motivated would stick to similar rules and keep a low profile until someone asks them to do something.:p

3. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

You can put a duncecap on top, floppy shoes under, and a red nose in the middle of a comment, but some people will choose not to understand a joke--especially about the late, great Element 1.

I think the humor filter might be an attribute of a nocode chip that appears to yet afflict some people. By the callsign badge and the HT, it is up to us longer term licensees to find relief for such afflicted shoulders. Let's have a telethon!

4. WA0FDV

WA0FDV Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like her QRZ profile has been scrubbed. Did anyone get a screen shot?

5. G4LNA

G4LNA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been reading all these posts and something that comes across is what happened to innocent till proven guilty? It seems like she has been hung drawn and quartered without even been taken to court to prove her guilt.

6. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

She's guilty. The police wouldn't have arrested her if she was not. She just hasn't been convicted yet.

7. N1DVJ

N1DVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Spoken like a true ham of the 'I did mine' ilk.

8. KA1MDA

KA1MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like her QRZ profile has been scrubbed. Did anyone get a screen shot?

Just do a Google search on her call. When you see the link to QRZ, click on the link that says CACHED. It's all there. Between Google cache and the Wayback Machine, nothing ever disappears from the Internet!

9. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Well ... that might be the boring old British way of doing things but ... we've kind of moved on from that.

10. N1DVJ

N1DVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

While I have to agree from a 'practical' sense, you're comment speaks volumes of who you are, and how dangerous you could be.

Then again, you may just be posting assinine BS to make sure you're always excused from jury duty...

11. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember, this is the 'zed.

I could be very, very dangerous. Danger is my middle name.

Yes, the quote comes from the old line to get out of jury duty.

ATTORNEY: "M'am, do you have any preconceived ideas about the defendent's guilt or innocence?"

PROSPECTIVE JUROR: "Well, the police wouldn't have arrested him if he wasn't guilty."

But, from a practical standpoint, I think we all know she did it. It wasn't like "Oops, I accidently made threats on the police channel."

Joe

12. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Defense attorney: "How do you feel about...."

Prospective juror, interrupting: "Fry 'em all!"

Next line, "You're excused."

13. G4LNA

G4LNA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll stick with the old boring British way of doing things, at least we have innocent till proven guilty until tried by our peers. I'm sure the American system is still much the same, it's still not a police state, at least it wasn't when I was last over there.

14. K7DFA

K7DFA Ham Member QRZ Page

That's odd

Rich,
    I just looked her up on qrz.com, apparently the folks at qrz got the word that she had been carted off to jail for this. If she ever had a profile, she doesn't now!!! I even tried the "cached" file trick and it just brought me back to the page that shows the original article on QRZ about her arrest. So, yes, things do "disappear" from the internet, despite Google cache and the "way-back machine"!

I am with those who hope she gets "the book thrown at her".
    There is NO EXCUSE for this type of operating on/in Amateur Radio!

I am not going to go along with those who believe that this is "what you get when you remove the code requirement".
    I have been a "no-code Tech" since 1993.
    I have never been this type of operator, never will be, this has nothing to do with whether I took a code examination (or ever will), and her operating this way has nothing to do with taking a code exam, either!

There should, indeed be a method of "weeding out" those who would operate this way.
    Having a code examination isn't it, there were, (and still are, unfortunately), plenty of operators who have done, and will do this type of thing, and a whole lot of them have taken code examinations!!!

15. KJ8O

KJ8O Ham Member QRZ Page

That is only in a court of law. Remember, police have to have reasonable suspician before they can arrest anyone.

JM, KJ8O :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.