QRZ Warned by the FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K5FH

K5FH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

De facto, maybe, but where does it specifically say in the regulations that you may not possess, for noncommercial purposes, such-and-such make/model of radio, of any vintage? It doesn't. But now it seems that we just moved one step closer to that.

The key here is whether or not the boards and publications could reasonably have been expected to know that the sales being facilitated were, in fact, illegal under whatever regulations existed at the time. In those cases where the board or publication was found liable it was because they could have reasonably been expected to know that what the seller was engaged in was illegal.

If someone posts one of those 11M POSs for sale, one time, no big deal. If the same individual posts the same or similar 11M POSs for sale on a regular basis, alarm bells would (or should, at any rate) go off and further inquiry is warranted.

2. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

I can see it now, "Free RCI radio", but $250 in shipping. :eek:

Well, I perceive it is entirely possible.

Andrew

3. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

So, let me understand this. The law says, you can't manufacture it, you can't import it, you can't sell it. How are you going to obtain it?

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred,

It's NOT about supporting freebanders. It's about some (often newbies) interpreting the law the way THEY see fit, and want to quash anyone who doesn't agree with THEIR interpretation.
    If Riley hasn't actually left the FCC, I'd hope HE would have an official comment on the matter, as there have often been many contradictory statements made to underlings at the FCc on this very issue.

5. W8BS

W8BS Ham Member QRZ Page

I need to report to Prison !!!

I sold a FT-817 that I used the CAT cable and software and modified it to operate on 60 meters.....Oh and it would operate on 11 or the NOAA weather freqs or .....

I love the way government is getting their nose in my life again. I seem to remember that policical correctness like this was alive and well on Sept 10, 2001.

6. KD5ZPG

KD5ZPG Ham Member QRZ Page

XYZ radio forsale............"Free" + other consideration. :D

Tbar

7. W8WJW

W8WJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Who says you're going to transmit with it? What if you use it just as a receiver?
    I knew a guy who spent a lot of money (back at the time) on a 2M rig - and he didn't have a license yet - BUT - he wanted to hear what amateur radio sounded like, and the money spent was an incentive for him to study and take the test. He liked what he heard and never keyed-up until the paper came in the mail; so some people can and should be trusted.

Apparently, there's people here with WAY too much free time on their hands that they have to piss-off the FCC and screw with QRZ. I hope they get banned from this website for such a juvenile stunt. Hams already have a bad 'holier than thou attitude', and this proves it even more. So sad.
    Why don't you go out and teach a neighbor kid about radio and don't worry about what's for sale here?

8. KI8IR

KI8IR Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought there was an exception for sale of these items between hams. If I have a homebrew (or modified ) HF amplifier it doesn't have the requisite type acceptance to be 'marketed' per se but has never been a problem in the past. Any modified gear loses type acceptance and is therefore not 'marketable' under that test but to enforce the 'marketability' standard on ham-ham sales would kill one of the foundations of our hobby: experimenting with equipment. Does the intent of Part 97.315 not also apply to other modified/non type accepted equipment.

Edit for correct section of part 97 rules.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  9. W1RV

W1RV Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's face it ...

Whoever brought this up in the first place doesn't have a life and should look inward to get one...

The FCC is just a small spoke in the huge wheel of government out of control and picking on the little guy. If there were corporate interests and large amounts of money involved I'm sure we could sell anything we wanted any time ...someone brought up a good point; why waste resources with trivial things no one cares about and instead go after the real bad guys. Lord knows, there are enough of them out there.

I guess this is all the average American can expect these days...

Rich - W1RV

PS
    I consider QRZ a very valuable service; Whiners please don't mess this up for the rest of us (the vast majority of hams.)

10. KD0CQG

KD0CQG Ham Member QRZ Page

Illegal radios

"The law says, you can't manufacture it, you can't import it, you can't sell it. How are you going to obtain it?"

The answer is obvious......Steal it!!! then it will be legal.

More seriously, I do not see what the hubub is about ham radios being able to transmit on CB. My two lines of thought.

1. Why not make them work or allow them to be modified to work on CB? Make the radio transmit only the allowable power. If it is modified to transmit more, give them a citation. Money has a way of modifying behavior. I would love to have a one radio does it all. Make it operate appropriately on each frequency and leave it alone. Ham is for grownups.

2. CB's are cheap. Just buy a CB and play nice.

I am in favor of disciplining the user rather than limiting access. A major part of the HAM lure for me was the hobby's ability to self regulate their behavior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.