ad: cq2k-1

QRZ Warned by the FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 10, 2008.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

REAL HAM RADIO's

Who in his or her RIGHT mind would want one of these pieces of CRAP rigs anyway?They are JUNK & NOT worth the parts cost for a scrap pile.If you can NOT afford an HF radio that's authorized by the Laws of THIS Land them "MAYBE" this HOBBY is NOT for YOU! PLENTY of GOOD,USED,& AUTHORIZED rigs for sale on this site & many other sites as well as hamfest around the country to buy from so you do NOT waste your money on an out of date souped up CB radio.CRYING over NOT being able to operate a piece of JUNK is something to be PROUD OF with your ham ticket in your pocket! haha It's the LAW for ALL of us so "GET OVER IT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clayton
    W4KVW

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe QRZ should file a Petition for Rulemaking with the FCC to change or revoke that dumb regulation.

It's completely ineffectual and enforcement is arbitrary at best. There must be millions of the things out there and it's not exactly a challenge to buy them on the internet. Banning them from QRZ will have ZERO effect on either the CB or ham bands.

And this business about "easily modified" for CB use is an archaic qualifying factor. Almost any modern radio can be "opened up" very easily. Will we find ourselves prohibited from buying and selling Yaesus, Kenwoods and Icoms every time someone figures out how to "mod" them?

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Where is the ARRL on this issue? They have deep deep pockets and a highly qualified staff of Legal Beagles who just CONQUERED the FCC on the BPL issue. Lets get them on our side and make it 2 in a ROW!!!

4. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well Fred, as a regular participant in the forums I beg to differ. There HAS been an uptick in "freeband" questions and talk of late.

Some of them are pretty legit, such as "how do I modify my CB for use on 10 meters?" and stuff like that.

But some others make me and others wonder. Popular questions are whether ham radios can be used on the CB band legally, because the owner doesn't want two radios in their truck/car.

I don't know about that. The FCC got rid of a lot of the new junk for sure, but I'd say that there are a lot of them floating around.

Also, an Icom 706mkIIg may be attractive to a smart freebander (who may also hold a ham license), but many of the freebanders don't have any idea how the radio works. They just buy a "cb set with extra channels" i.e. a pre-modified rig.

They're actually selling pretty well on ebay, at least the ones that make it without being pulled.

Calm down. I don't think you're in any real trouble just yet. Heavy handed would be a NAL, and I don't think you'll actually get one. What I predict happening is that the FCC will make a lot of noise, make you promise to not allow the sale of these radios on your site, and once you comply you'll be done with it. Of course you could refuse to comply, fight it in court, and you'll end up either winning and setting precedent, or losing and being embarrassed.

As for the radios doing nothing - listen to the lower edge of 10 meters during a band opening. The problem is getting worse and worse, and a lot of hams are fed up. They complain to the FCC and seemingly nothing gets done.

With race tracks accessible to all, that hasn't stopped illegal street racing one bit. So similarly with freebanding there is a certain thrill to breaking the law, evading authority and thumbing your nose at not only the FCC but also the licensed users of the band.

You could pay people to get a license, but the fact remains that some people just don't want to get into ham radio. They can do what they want, without fear because no one really seems to care.

Anyway, good luck and I wish you the best in any legal matters. I'd really hate to see QRZ suffer any problems that could potentially cause its closure.

And for the record, this is the first I've heard of this. I have nothing to do with reporting ANY sales on QRZ to the FCC.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  5. N9MOQ

N9MOQ Guest

. .

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2009
  6. KC4RAN

KC4RAN Ham Member QRZ Page

(for radios) ...Yet.

For guns, yes there are some parts that can't be sold. I forsee the FCC taking the same approach, putting the mainboards and CPUs (along with other similar parts) under the same prohibition, using the same language.

They may be slow, but they're not (always) stupid.

7. N2RJ

I agree.

The regulation is silly. The FCC should concentrate on actually enforcing the USE of these radios illegally.

But I will also say that enforcing the rule against the sale of them is FAR easier for the FCC to do. And with limited dollars for amateur enforcement, I doubt that they'd want to make a serious effort at getting the freebanders out of 10 meters (among other places).

8. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Chicken Littles

Let's all cry out that the sky is falling. Its already been said in several posts that current all band HF radios can be modded by simply clipping a diode to transmit anywhere.

So, what's the difference? A stupid attorney's list of targeted radios. So, any 10M single band radio is a no no, but amateur transceivers are not?

Clip a diode on either. Makes zero sense.

But, for my HR-2510, the mods were more than just clipping a lead. Friggin idiots.

The FCC needs to get off of its A** and ENFORCE and PROSECUTE people who transmit without a license. And, no more of those negotiated "I can't afford the fine" settlements. Put 'em in the clink and throw away the key. If truckers can't truck for 6 months, that will cost them a lot more than a slap on the hand.

9. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tell that to the 50s ham who built his transmitter out of a TV Chassis he found behind the Junk store or on the curb! Ham Radio ops have long made do with marginal equipment and done very well at it. These 10M radios work GREAT on 10 and once the Sunspots come back up, will be even more prolific and used. Sure, it would be better to have a nice $1400 Icom 7000 in the car instead of a $25 HR-2510, but when it gets stolen, you would me much happier it was only $25 you lost!

10. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

An HR-2510, sir, was not and is not junk. Plus, modding old CB boards was THE thing to do 20 years ago, and its still fun to make 10M FM rigs out of cast off boards. Put the ham back in ham radio.

11. N2RJ

LOL you crack me up, man.

While there are hams that will sell ONLY to licensed individuals, there are many others that will sell to anyone.

You are depending on people to be honest. Wanna buy a bridge? There's one about 50 miles away going for a good price...

12. N2RJ

That's because they handed that over to the VECs. They don't want to deal with it anymore.

You can probably even order one thru QRZ.com if you wanted.

Or, you can go help yourself via ULS. It's not rocket science.

If you need help let me know. I'll walk you through.

13. KA3VSP

KA3VSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven't read all of the replies (yet), however, I feel that you (QRZ.com) should protect itself. Why allow the listing of equipment that the FCC says is illegal to sell...including private sales...only for the seller to turn around and hold QRZ.com responsible for any legal action which may result by listing said equipment.

Best,
    Brian

14. W6VPS

W6VPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Simply put the FCC is overreaching on this issue.

Will the FCC officials change their minds? I think it highly unlikely.
    While there very well may be a constitutional issue ( taking value by fiat without copensation ) the bazillions of dollars to pursue the issue are a tough nut to crack.
    Perhaps as it has been said, discretion would be the better part of valor on this issue.
    73 / Paul

15. K5FH

K5FH Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't give them any ideas!

In the vein of my earlier post, the BATF will hang you up by the you-know-whatsis if you sell, buy, manufacture, or possess certain firearm parts, i.e., the full-auto sear for the AR-15/M-16. Merely possessing the thing is, in their alleged minds, evidence of criminal intent. The fact that you didn't install it in a compatible weapon, or even if you don't possess the weapon it's designed to work with, doesn't matter. Merely possessing the part is enough to convict you.

Now, to extend this analogy:

Let's say that I have an 4CX10,000 (aka "toob with handles"), an old high-time broadcast pullout that I acquired from a friend who is a broadcast engineer at a radio station. The station was just going to scrap the tube because it's no longer up to CCS specs and my friend rescued it from the dumpster and gave it to me. It's still useable for ICAS service but I certainly don't have an amplifier and power supply capable of handling this monster. So I keep it around just because it's neat to have. To a real ham, that's all the reason you need :)

But...one day, the FCC changes the regs and decides that no ham can possess "...any amplifying device capable of being operated at more than 3kW DC input." The feds kick in my door and arrest me for possession of the 4CX10,000. I argue that I don't have an amplifier or power supply that could be used with this tube, and without such the tube is useless as an "amplifying device." Irrelevant, the government prosecutor says, because possession of the tube is prima facie evidence of intent to violate FCC regulations and all that matters is that the tube could be run at more than 3kW DC input. The judge agrees. Go straight to jail, do not pass "go," do not collect $200.

Exaggeration? I sincerely hope so...but you never know... :mad: