ad: wmr-1

QRZ Introduces Advanced User Account Security

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. G8PBJ

G8PBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Finally got it to work on a 3rd box - a Linux Mint system using Firefox

2. VA7STV

VA7STV Ham Member QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I looked into you issue and found a bug that was incorrectly restricting the Google Authenticator option for users outside of the US and Canada. This has been corrected.

Note: SMS is only available to users in the US and Canada at this time.

EB1BSV likes this.
  3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, might want to check things out a bit further. I set up mine and logged in via the work computer, but when I got home, on a different PC on a different IP, I didn't have to log in with the authentication. Maybe a bug, or not.

4. EB1BSV

EB1BSV QRZ Lifetime Member #59 Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Good job

5. NK2U

NK2U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, so if I want to set this up, I have to put in my phone number and will get a text with a code that I key in... Is that all there is to it? Do I have to install the Google Authentication program too?

de NK2U

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope you don't need to install any programs at all.

When you do the authentication there will be a box where you put in your phone number. Then it will send you a text message with the authentication code key. Enter the authentication code key into the entry box.

...That's it!

7. NK2U

NK2U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow, that was easy!!! No problems at all. Thanks!

de NK2U

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. VK2HCD

VK2HCD Ham Member QRZ Page

All good now, thank you.

9. DL6BCX

DL6BCX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Intend to use that better security system but understood that SMS is available only in the US and Canada. So the Google Authentication programme is the only way for me in Germany. Is that correct?

[Ed. Yes, right now you need to use an Authenticator program. Google Auth is one of them, but there are others. We may extend SMS to Europe and then elsewhere after we've gained some experience with the initial North American group. We are also looking into how popular the SMS method will be, and whether the costs will be controllable. We must pay for each outgoing SMS message and these costs vary from less then a penny in North America to as much as 15 cents in other parts of the world. I am confident that we will expand our SMS coverage once we know how much to budget. -fred ]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2017
  10. W8JAA

W8JAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Plop your precious cell phone number on the internet and watch the RoBo calls start rolling in. Once you get on one list your number will be traded and soon you will be on many lists .
    Ring Ring Ring .

[Ed. That doesn't happen here at QRZ. Unlike internet marketing scum, QRZ does not send out SPAM, we don't sell our mailing lists (we never have), and we don't sell user information. Your personal phone number will not be disclosed to any third party (unless requested by law enforcement). You will never get an unsolicited sales call from QRZ, and in fact, you will probably never hear from us unless you request a text message token. -fred ]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2017
  11. N5LB

N5LB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Using WinAuth 3.5.1 on W10 PC and works perfectly.

tnx

12. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's correct. You can use either the SMS option OR the Google Authenticator option. It is not necessary to do both. We do ask for a backup phone number when you choose the Google Auth. App, but you can choose to provide that number of you wish, or not to. Thanks for your use of the site!

Jaime

13. 2E0FFT

2E0FFT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank-you..

14. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Like I said before, Log of the World P12 certificates. Upload your cert to verify you are who you claim to be. And maybe your QRZ profile gets a star or something to denote that you are a verified user.

15. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since not everyone uses LOTW then that wouldn't work, at least that's how it seems to me.