ad: wmr-1

QRZ Introduces Advanced User Account Security

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It could be as mentioned or if your browser is set to clear history and cookies, etc., when closed, then it will ask each time, too, most likely.

2. 2E0FFT

2E0FFT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no options to select when I try and enable 2-step, any ideas?

3. VK2HCD

VK2HCD Ham Member QRZ Page

When I go to activate this feature it only says "Choose One..." in the box (Step 1), there are no options to choose from.

4. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The first version of Windows (windows 1.01) was released in 1985. By 1993 we were up to Windows 3.1...just sayin'

[Ed: You are correct. Windows did exist at the time. My mistake. I should have said "before browsers and internet connections were commonplace...." :) -fred]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2017
    KD4MOJ likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Windows 3.10 was not "internet ready". Windows 3.11 fixed that by adding WinSock and other needed utilities to enable Mosaic to work. So technically, QRZ could not have been an online service under Windows 3.1 without the add-on of the 3.11 floppy - at the time I was the network administrator for a pretty big local firm and was tasked with "Getting all the office computers on this internet thingy" so I was very familiar with the 3.11 update disc

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I used the text message option. Works flawlessly.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Same here - no issues

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  8. W0ZF

W0ZF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Google Authenticator" is just one of many available authenticator apps that all do the same thing. They are time-based, so no communication with Google or anyone else is required. When you follow the setup instructions for QRZ or any other site that uses this method, a unique key is placed into the app, which is uses (along with the time) to generate a unique six digit code for that site at that time.
    This uses an Internet standard protocol called TOTP that's been around a long time, and you can find apps from several places that implement it. If QRZ has implemented their end per the standard, any such authenticator app should work.

9. KM6CQ

KM6CQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Google Authenticator works great, it's a good start. Now if you can come up with
    a way to verify sellers and buyers on the swapmeet without draining your resources,
    that would be helpful.

73, Dan

10. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, Dan, you're one step ahead of the game... stay tuned. ;)

Jaime

11. WB0OEW

WB0OEW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

12. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

Took a couple of tries with the SMS option (the first code sent the system did not recognize). We'll see how it goes. Thank you for adding extra security!

13. G8PBJ

G8PBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too, I've logged a call & QRZ are unaware of the problem, told to check my PC settings. I get the problem with a Mac & a PC

14. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked like a charm. The "choose one" is a drop down list...are you two having the issues saying you are not able to click and see the other options in the list?

15. G8PBJ

G8PBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see any content in the drop down list? I get this with Safari, Chrome & Opera. I've cleared the cache & confirmed that cookies & javascript are ok. I use google authenticator with several web services without a problem.