ad: portazero-1

QRZ Criticized Over Refusal to List K1MAN

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Nov 3, 2004.

?

QRZ Criticized Over Refusal to List K1MAN - Give us your opinion

1. Yes, I support QRZ's decision to de-list K1MAN

100.0%
  2. No, QRZ should list K1MAN and his viewpoints

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0MT

W0MT Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it amazing to hear Baxter asserting QRZ has violated his “freedom of speech.” Call it a silly guess but I don’t think he has a clue concerning his right of “freedom of speech.” Quoting the relevant part of the First Amendment to the Constitution, “Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech . . ..”

Decisions by a private party (such as QRZ) to fail to provide a forum for Baxter has NOTHING to do with freedom of speech. That is, unless somehow QRZ and the Congress of the US are one and the same.

Keep this guy off QRZ!

2. AD6ZJ

AD6ZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's fascinating to see some people complain about free speech. K1MAN should be ashamed for trying to invoke his free speech by denying you of yours. Keep up the good work on QRZ.

AD6ZJ, Loren

3. kc4wms

kc4wms Ham Member QRZ Page

K1MAN now there's a call that screams to be revoked.
    I've never heard a more self righteous waste of band width as his "COMMERCIAL" Broadcasts on the bands. How do I justify saying "Commercial" ? check his website. www.k1man.COM ie Commerce address. sounds like a double felony to me.

tongue in cheek ;op kc4wms

4. W5NL

W5NL Ham Member QRZ Page

I think he's trying to involve QRZ in his "commercial" broadcasting. I just heard a plug for the new QRZ CD ROM minutes ago. Also a plug for this website. Hasn't this been going on for years now?? Why hasn't he been dealt with already?

5. N7SPY

N7SPY Ham Member QRZ Page

What needs to start happening is for people to learn that their rights have responsibilites attached to them... and consequences for both assuming and disregarding the responsibilities of those rights.

K1MAN has the right to say whatever he wants... but not here... because qrz.com is not a public forum, it's Fred's website.

K1MAN also has to pay the consequences of his actions... starting with Fred's decision of not showing his call sign on QRZ.COM... which is HIS right because is HIS site.

Will Fred have to "pay the consequences" (so to speak) for delisting K1MAN?? Absolutely... but look how beautiful consequences they are: 119 out of 121 (as of 2100Z) hams who use this site agree with him.

Eventually K1MAN will fade away... if anything, because he'll go SK sooner or later

6. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

I love the idea that QRZ is a place to blow some smoke when feeling passionate about one issue or another. And a good place to see what other ham's might be thinking.
    But, we don't need ranting lunatics; they contribute nothing.
    Please keep the site as open as possible and no: you do not have to publish every blowhard that thinks he has a right to your piece of the media.

Kd5PSH

7. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred, your house, your rules. And you've done Amateur Radio a favor as far as I'm concerned.
    MAN, long ago, began thinking of his license as a broadcast license. He has repeatedly damaged the esteem of our prefixes and Service for too many years. Besides, he has his own website, and you are in no way obligated to convey his message in any form.

8. KB2KAB

KB2KAB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad to see that QRZ, is still standing by ham radio community. This is an unfortunate situation. This is to show that, even though we have freedoms, there is a limit to what you can say on radio, or even in this forum. THANK YOU QRZ![​IMG]

9. KC8VJD

KC8VJD Ham Member QRZ Page

It is one thing to exercise free speech but it is totally different to abuse it. I honestly feel that he is abusing it by trying to force his propoganda on us in this manner.

Haven't we seen enough of that in the political campaigns which just ended? We get on the radio to relax and enjoy ourselves yet when I tune across 14275, THERE HE IS!

He will never be any competition with ARRL now or any time. I think that QRZ is right on for exercising it's right to free speech as he has chosen to do the same by delisting himself.

Glen has stirred up a hornet's nest by his actions and now is complaining about getting stung. Give us a break Glen!

10. K7UNZ

K7UNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Free speach is all well and good, and I for one support the concept.

However, the right to free speach ends when you enter into a private environment, which has clearly published rules of behavior.

Being allowed access to this site is no different than being allowed access to a home.  The owner decides who can enter, and what behavior is expected while you visit.

If you can't follow the rules, don't let the "door" hit you in the butt on your way out!

Jim/k7unz

11. K7JAZ

K7JAZ Guest

K3VR, thank you for the very informative and intellingent report on Baxter. It does make a person wonder how, if all this information is public knowledge and true, that the FCC or even some other branch of government hasn't landed on him yet.

In 1969 when I was studying for my first ham ticket, the Novice class, one of the practice questions in the ARRL License manual was, "How is illegal transmitting by an amateur punishable?" OK, it was probably written in better English.....the answer was, "Illegal transmission by an amateur is punishable by possible confiscation of the amateur's equipment, plus fines of up to $1000 a day for each day of illegal operation, plus imprisionment or both". That made me believe I'd better not mess around on the air, and to this day I've never sent so much as a dit illegally...but, geez! How is it that now we hear of so much deliberate abuse, and the FCC does virtually nothing more than send a few letters? Sorry if you think I'm an uncivilized barbarian, but I believe we need some stronger action, when it's been proven that an individual has stepped over the line like this. I don't mean revoking a license for a minor mistake, but there are some who seem to deliberately testing the limits, like a little kid tests his parents to see how much he can get away with. The FCC needs to do something more than write letters. Maybe they're just biding their time until his renewal comes up?

12. K4VVX

K4VVX Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred, thank you for providing this site and for doing "The Right Thing". Whenever I am here, I consider myself a guest in your house.  I can't say anything that has not already been said here about K1MAN except that I totally agree with your decision.  Good job!  It's people like K1MAN that make me cautious about telling people that I have been K4VVX since 1960 when I was a 16 year old kid.

13. w4nti

w4nti Guest

I have been following Baxters antics for several years now. I honestly believe he is in the process of experiencing a mental break down.

I can't in all honesty say he has accomplished a thing to enhance or better amateur radio. All he has ever done is attack the ARRL and take credit for events that never happened. We all know about his famous ''jump teams'', right? And lately he has taken on Mr. Hollingsworth at the FCC.

Mr. Baxter claims to be in the ''business'' of Emergency Communications. Recently he went to a 24/7 format and was claiming to be providing emergency communications via his AMTOR link and alleged nets on 14.272. I spent several days attempting to hear ANYTHING concerning this alleged activity....THERE WAS NONE. Maybe that is because real hams did the real thing by being involved in the National traffic system, the Hurricane net, SATERN, the MM and Intercon nets, etc. Ya think?

K1MAN is on the way out. He is due to renew in October of 2004. We ALL need to do what we can to help him find the door. I suggest tape recordings, signed comments and lots of mail to the FCC. Give Mr. Hollingsworth a message at; RHOLLING@fcc.gov
    or give him a l/l and leave a message at (717) 338-2502.

Dan/W4NTI

14. w4nti

w4nti Guest

Sorry, make that 2005.

Dan/W4NTI

15. N0KLT

N0KLT QRZ Member QRZ Page

Fred,

You are most certainly within your rights to delist and ban K1MAN or anyone else. QRZ.COM is a private entity owned by you and if you want to ban everyone but people named Roy who are born on a Tuesday, you are within your legal rights.

Keep up the good work and again congratulations on a good well run internet site. Keep up the good work, Fred and pass the congratulations and thank you's to all of those folks who help you maintain the site in whatever capacity.

Gary NØKLT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.