QRZ Callsign Database Policy Change

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N7DC

N7DC Ham Member QRZ Page

new constrictutions

As a regular user, via the DXLab programs, I hope this will not affect me all that much. I do have my system set up to automatically look up all calls which I double click on the SpotCollector page. I am down to only needing 4 countries, so those numbers have decreased considerably the past couple of years. I do, on occasion, get into a 6 meter contest, and QRZ.com is usually the only way I know what state those contacts are in, but even then, I seldom would work more than 150 of them on a weekend. I have in the past, as what I hoped was a help in paying for the playing, clicked on ads on the web pages. I know others that have been doing the exact same thing, and would remind you that this might change those habits, especially if they normally would look at more than 150 call signs a day and find themselves locked out. I also use the page to attempt to find valid email addresses, to ask others as to status of cards I have been expecting, or even to ask for schedules, etc. Sadly, a very large percentage of emails addressed that way, bounce. Those who have listed their email addresses apparently need to be reminded to update them, when they change IP companies. Meanwhile thanks for being there.

2. NT1K

NT1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Great, I'm glad because it makes me feel that I didn't waste my money on a XML subscription. Now it's worth having.

3. K5YY

K5YY Ham Member QRZ Page

I thoroughly enjoy the information on QRZ and appreciate the effort to deselect abusers of the data contained on the QRZ.com site. The most important part I use is the callsign lookup and bio browsing and the addresses for QSLing to. The email link is a nice feature too. Again, thanks for the website.

4. N4DLT

N4DLT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Ham Radio Deluxe for logging. How do I get HRD to insert the QTH and other data as I log contacts? Was working great before. Do I have to make a change to HRD someplace? HELP!!!

5. K7VC

K7VC Ham Member QRZ Page

No problem, Fred, just be sure that I am not automatically logged out ofter I have logged in. Every couple of days it seems I have to log back in again.

Dick

6. N0WYO

N0WYO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm interested in this too.

I haven't checked it recently, as the logging computer is down at the moment. I need to fix it this weekend.
    No matter...HRD will most likely adapt at some point.

7. AB3FL

AB3FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Now I am glad that I subscribe to the XML service as the logging program I use "Commcat" has used that since it became available. HRD is one of the biggest offenders of using the "stealth" mode. Maybe hrd will have to be rewritten to use the xml service........

Tom - AB3FL

8. N8DZR

N8DZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah! I 100% support this change!

1) subscribe to the QRZ.com XML service
    2) In the HRD logbook, click on the tools menu, then Configure -> Callsign Lookup.
    3) When the window opens, click on the Lookup Options tab, and then choose the radio button for Subscription Interface.
    4) Make sure your QRZ.com username and password are filled in.

9. W0VYE

W0VYE Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred, I think what you do here at QRZ.com has a huge positive effect on ham radio. Do whatever you need to do. I and many others are behind you all the way.

Personally, I don't much give a damn if I have internet access in my shack or not, or any kind of electronic logging. Shut down all access to everyone except registered users actually logged in, and I'm with you. 73

10. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would you? Likewise I wouldnt care if the price of TV Guide , or Geritol went up 400%, I dont use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.