ad: elecraft

QRZ Callsign Database Policy Change

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. TA1AEJ

TA1AEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

bence en akıllısı
    başarılar

2. AE1P

AE1P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ditto!!!!
    and Thank you, Fred!! ... Best ham radio site on the web!!!

P.S. I too miss thw Q&A button... :(

3. KW4MA

KW4MA Ham Member QRZ Page

Anything to kill spambots.

4. KI6HFP

KI6HFP Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting ? Makes me wonder if Fred pays for access to the data he sells you.

Seems to me that QRZ is gaming the system by taking advantage of FREE TAX payer funded resources and then turning around and charging you a fee to access the same information.

Since as you put it there are no "free lunches" maybe the FCC should limit access to call sign information. Maybe the FCC should limit access to non commercial usage only. If you use the data in the FCC website to make money then you should have to pay for it. After all why should Fred and QRZ expect a tax payer funded "free lunch"

Of course I'm just a kid, what do I know! At least that's what everyone keep telling me. Except for the military recruiters who seem awful interested in talking to me.

5. N4QMS

N4QMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Even if there is no cost to obtain the data, hosting it and the bandwidth to serve it up to you are not free by any means.

Does Fred make money on ad revenue above and beyond his costs? Don't know, don't care.

Bots have their uses, and can be a scourge, hogging resources and bandwidth both. Any site that gives them full access soon finds its resources devoted largely to bots and scrapers only. This site is only one of multi thousands to discover this sad fact. Having to prove that you are "human" and not a bot is just a reality of the web.

If you want a truly "free lunch", go to the FCC for callsign data.

Problem solved, right? Sounds better than putting the FCC's data (paid by for you and me) behind a paywall.

Consider that QTH.com is an 'added value' site, offering more than a "free" FCC-site lookup. That has to be worth something, right?

Nothing is really "free". If it has value, somebody paid for it, whether it was you or not. Otherwise it would not exist, whatever it is.
    As Robert A. Heinlein aptly put it "TANSTAAFL". As in, "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch".

6. G6NHU

G6NHU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd be more than happy to subscribe to qrz.com and in fact I've tried a few times over the last six months however I have a problem - When I go to this URL http://qrz.com/i/subscriptions.html and click to continue it asks me for my login details. I use my normal qrz.com login name and password and then get an error.

I'm logged into qrz.com successfully with my password, I just can't get to the subscribe page no matter what I do. I've tried multiple browsers and it's always the same.

7. N5KBP

N5KBP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with Fred 100% on this one. :cool:

If you don't want to do what he asks you can always download the information directly from the fcc at

http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/data/complete/l_amat.zip.
    Careful it's over 100 megs. :eek:

Then you can do what I have done in the past. Write your own database search routines to process it. It's not that hard. If I can I'm sure a kid can.
    It won't have the foreign call signs but you can get a lot of them from there respective national radio organizations.

Marty
    N5KBP

8. M0TTB

M0TTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Any better luck doing it via your forum settings section?
    http://forums.qrz.com/payments.php

cheers,
    Andy

9. KI6HFP

KI6HFP Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting how you attempt to make me look like the bad guy by inferring that I don't agree with Fred when I never stated whether I do or don't. Playing these type of childish games shows a lack of integrity on your part. Now I expect this kind of nonsense from the girls at school but not from adults here on QRZ.

As my dad would say I'm just putting it all in prospective..

I don't know what planet you've been on but nowadays a 100 megs of data is chump change. Thanks for the idea, an open source call sign database server might make for a good project for computer class next year ;)

10. N5KBP

N5KBP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't infer anything. You said QRZ was "GAMING the SYSTEM" as you put it.

Marty
    N5KBP

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

11. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I still feel if you use QRZ at all you should pay for it! I use it everyday many times using my logging program and checking for LoTW users at the same time. One of the best buys in ham radio.

Support QRZ BUY A MEMBERSHIP!!!

12. N9OEG

N9OEG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for fighting the good fight against the bots and scrapers that DO pull down the server(s) performance for the rest of us.

13. G6NHU

G6NHU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

14. W4ABC

W4ABC Ham Member QRZ Page

15. K8WDX

K8WDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Forgot to say one thing. I do think that when Fred is going to do this rather than just change it, put out some sort of warning say 30 days ahead of time so people can prepare and it is not a surprise. That is the only gripe I have, and by the way this is not the first time. I do like QRZ and use it daily, and am happy to support it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.