ad: elecraft

Portable Ham Radio Operating Tips & Tricks Volume #1

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Oct 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi folks,

I've had many questions since I started my YouTube channel awhile back on how to operate Ham Radio out in the field.

The 3 primary areas I receive questions on are Power, Antennas & their supports, & Transporting Radios.

We're going to talk a little bit about those today, and why I use the gear that I use, hopefully to stir some interest in portable operating!

All the recent natural disasters here in the U.S. has really had me practicing my outdoor ops as of late. This is a great way to get some practice in, and to identify potential areas around your local community that you might be able to setup in.

Please enjoy this presentation by SignalSearch/K5ACL.

K5ACL

DM1KW and AE1N like this.
  2. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job//

W5KV likes this.
  3. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

awesome video.........

W5KV likes this.
  4. QRZFAN2

QRZFAN2 QRZ Member

Wow appreciate you putting all that work in to share with folks. 73

W5KV likes this.
  5. QRZFAN2

QRZFAN2 QRZ Member

Do you think Buddipole will ever make a Beam? They mentioned at Dayton something was in the works they could not talk about yet. Wondered if you have heard anything what it might be, Thanks.

K4BAD and W5KV like this.
  6. K2GK

K2GK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice presentation John. Love to see that you are into the same gizmos and goodies as we here in Long Island, New York.
    If you have the time, stop by and view our FaceBook group: "Ham Radio Outdoors". 73 de k2gk

W5KV likes this.
  7. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the comments all :) Glad you've enjoyed it just as much as I did!

QRZFAN2 I think Buddipole already makes components so that you can do some sort of beam with their gear, but I might be mistaken? I'm new to the buddipole scene, just discovered their neat products!

k5acl

8. KC3ISE

KC3ISE Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video, Johnny!

W5KV likes this.
  9. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent video; very helpful tips throughout and all right to the point. Keep up the good work!

73, Jeff

W5KV likes this.
  10. VE2TH

VE2TH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you think Buddipole will ever make a Beam?

All the parts are on their website and the documentation too. You can subscribe to the "BUG" Buddipole User Group. AND ALSO Yahoo Groups

Up to date I use portable a two or three elements on six meters. A two elements on ten meters, or 12 meters or 15 meters full size, no coils

On six meters I use the tripod with the long mast which gives me one wavelenght above the ground (20 ft) on top of it I put a ELK log periodic antenna, horizontally polarized.

I also use a portable tilt support for my alightweight aluminium mast (30 ft). So I can use Buddipole dipole configuration and I can add some wire connected to the same coax.

There are a lot of possibilities.

My favorite is two phased vertical dipole for 20 or 17 meters.

The fun with Buddipole is you can experiment with feets on the ground., so no Danger. You can experiment things not available with regular antennas.

By the way, yes it is an excellent video.

72 Michel

W5KV likes this.
  11. M6ECG

M6ECG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video Johnny, thanks for sharing! 73 Lucy

W5KV likes this.
  12. M6ECG

Great video Johnny, thanks for posting! 73 Lucy

AK5B and W5KV like this.
  13. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You've also got some nifty portable ideas on your QRZ page, too Lucy---way to go with your MFJ-1979, folding bike, tape measure, etc.

Jeff

W5KV likes this.
  14. M6ECG

Thanks very much Jeff for your kind words! :)

W5KV likes this.
  15. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Well made product and very useful as a compromise antenna, but as for a beam, size matters. In my experience, you would do better with a full size dipole than a miniature beam. Remember, on 20 meters, a full size beam is 33' wide. Reactance does not radiate!
    AF4RK