ad: QuirkyQRP-1

New Technician how can I e-sign my FCC License?

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by KJ7ZKZ, Jun 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KJ7ZKZ

KJ7ZKZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I did some searching here and was unable to find an answer here and also must not be doing it correctly with google out on the open web so I thought I would ask here.

I am a brand new Technician, got my call sign KJ7ZKZ today and obtained the PDF of my corresponding "Official Copy" from the FCC. In this day and age I would like to apply an e-signature to the license and carry it with my on my iPhone. It appears that the FCC has locked the PDF which makes sense for fraud reason and other bad actor type activities.

Does anyone know how or can point me to a method that will allow an e-signature? I would like to avoid printing the license, signing it with ink, then scanning it again to PDF if possible? The main reason is I don't have access to a printer.

Again, if I missed this topic I apologize, I am a newbie just getting used to how things work.

Kindly,

Garry - KJ7ZKZ

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    KO4ESA likes this.
  2. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

Couldn’t verify your call sign.

3. K8HIT

K8HIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Save the PDF as a JPEG. Edit the JPEG directly or put it into a Program like Word or other layout program.

If it won't save as, use the screen shot tool in Acrobat or the operating system. Then edit as you wish.

I hope this was more useful than

KO4ESA, WJ4U and KJ7ZKZ like this.
  4. KJ7ZKZ

Being new I don't know all the ins and outs these systems all I can say is that I tested on Saturday and got an email today (much sooner than I expected) that I could log into ARRL to get a PDF of my Technician license. All that worked and I have it on a PDF.

KO4ESA likes this.
  5. KJ7ZKZ

Very good idea that I hadn't thought of.

Thanks!

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. KJ7ZKZ

Happy to say your suggestion worked!! Awesome and thank you again!

KO4ESA and K8HIT like this.
  7. K8HIT

Ignore him, he felt a need to be a gatekeeper.

8. KO4ESA

I’m a she. Just didn’t see his call sign on Arrl yet.
    I’m no gatekeeper.

9. KO4ESA

Sometimes it takes a bit for the system to update. No worries. Glad you were able to get your e-signature accomplished.
    Enjoy the hobby.

KJ7ZKZ likes this.
  10. KE0CAA

KE0CAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldnt be too overly concerned with carrying a signed copy of your license either. The FCC only cares about what is in their database so even if you have a copy of your license their going to look it up themselves. That said if your operating from a moving vehicle a printed copy will most likely be requested by the police if they are feeling overly thorough during a traffic stop.

KO4ESA and KJ7ZKZ like this.
  11. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's nice. So, what was the purpose of that post then? Since you're also somewhat new to amateur radio, you will want to know that the "official" place to look for someone's callsign is the FCC ULS system. Here's his info. https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=4461464
    It normally takes a few days for the FCC to push the data to the ARRL and QRZ systems but sometimes the government is actually efficient. The new callsign KJ7ZKZ is up on QRZ this morning. Congratulations Garry!

KO4ESA and KJ7ZKZ like this.
  12. KJ7ZKZ

Yes I should have referenced the official FCC instead of ARRL because I was able to view it in the FCC database, I also was given a link from the FCC to download the PDF copy I was trying to modify. I noticed that this morning I am showing on the QRZ system as a new license so it seem these systems are all sync'ing now.

Thanks for the pointers here.

Garry - KJ7ZKZ

KO4ESA likes this.
  13. K8HIT

If that were ever to happen, providing the license after the fact, not on demand, will clear you of any wrong doing. As a former LEO, I think your station is more likely to get hit by lightning than a demand to prove you're licensed on the side of some road.

AG6QR and KO4ESA like this.
  14. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You did just fine and got great advice from K8HIT and KE0CAA. Welcome aboard!
    Just a little more housekeeping for you. You now have 2 accounts on QRZ with the same "Name" ie: KJ7ZKZ so you may wish to post a request here or in the Database Helpers Forum to combine the two accounts.

KJ7ZKZ and KO4ESA like this.
  15. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

One reason to have a copy of your license is if you are pulled over in one of those places that doesn't allow operation of hand-held devices in the car. Might get you out of a ticket.

KF5RRF likes this.