ad: UR5CDX-1

New Kenwood TS 990

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE3GNO, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9SDJ

WA9SDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Kenwood doesn't have the elegance of the Icom 7800 or Yaesu 9000, hope it has the performance and they keep up with the firmware.

I'm really waiting on Icom/Yaesu to update their top of the line models as they are both from the 04/05 era. In a perfect world Elecraft would release the K4, their K-Line all wrapped up in one single package!

2. W5DQ

W5DQ Guest

If I was buying one today, at $6K price point, that would be the only way I could get it ..... TO STEAL IT :)

W5DQ

3. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And my thoughts also. I love where they say "Rising to the Occasion" and highlite the "Dual Watch" function. Ah excuse me but my ICOM 756pro which I think is about 10 years old or older has dual watch so this is not something new nor is it a Kenwood innovation. I guess sell price around $13k.

However, if it is actually (as another poster says) around $5k, where do I get one?
    K2WH

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  4. W1VVX

W1VVX QRZ Member QRZ Page

Very,very interesting. Can't wait to see the price!
    WA1VVX

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Will certainly be interesting to see the results.

I've had a lot of rigs from Kenwood-Icom-Yaesu over the years and have been a pretty big fan of all of those companies; however I've become a somewhat bigger fan of Ten Tec, whose rigs I've owned since they started in business with the PM-2.

Elecraft is also no slouch, nor is Flex.

Nice to see the "big three" from Japan are easily matched by the "big three" from the U.S.

6. N1ZLE

N1ZLE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm thinking the FDdx-5000 will be here for a long while. Can't wait to see the Sherwood tests. I wonder if it has an IF out? I still love my TS-2000. I think Kenwood has the opportunity to hit a major home run here.... Keeping fingers crossed for the top of the heap "best ham rig ever tested"........we'll see.
    N1ZLE

7. KE2IV

KE2IV Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that it kind of looks like an Icom -- except that the meter is classic Kenwood. Guess they threw that in for "heritage" reasons.

$6K isn't so bad considering the built-in AT and PS plus 200W etc. Certainly compares with pricing on an upper range Icom or Yaesu.

I'm curious what they're actually going to do with two USB ports and a ethernet connection. Perhaps the ethernet hookup will allow easy remote operation?

Besides, unless they have some decent software etc. for managing this rig, who cares?

Then again -- with all those switches and knobs -- this hardly LOOKS like a SDR-type rig. I guess they had to please all the old fogey hams by making it look like an old-style radio.....

8. KE2IV

KE2IV Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that it kind of looks like an Icom -- except that the meter is classic Kenwood. Guess they threw that in for "heritage" reasons.

$6K isn't so bad considering the built-in AT and PS plus 200W etc. Certainly compares with pricing on an upper range Icom or Yaesu.

I'm curious what they're actually going to do with two USB ports and a ethernet connection. Perhaps the ethernet hookup will allow easy remote operation?

Besides, unless they have some decent software etc. for managing this rig, who cares?

Then again -- with all those switches and knobs -- this hardly LOOKS like a SDR-type rig. I guess they had to please all the old fogey hams by making it look like an old-style radio.....

9. W2JTM

W2JTM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At first, the similarity to my IC-756proIII was a bit disappointing. I was expecting and hoping for something totally new, at least something that looked like a Kenwood. But if the price is something reasonable, I think the ICOM will be up for sale soon...

Jim

10. NT6U

NT6U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the pic VE3GNO. Nice looking rig, looking forward to the reviews.

11. N7KFD

N7KFD Ham Member QRZ Page

High five to Kenwood, looks like a great rig!

12. W9MB

W9MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the VU meter is a graphical representation on a display. I also think the display size on the left is not finalized due to the excess space around the perimeter. I am VERY interested in the development of this radio. My TS-850 will need a new home!

13. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

DSP programming is tough, it is usually done with a team of a hardware engineer and a software programmer. The best programmers understand hardware and write assembly level software, those are few and hard to find!

fp

14. KD8MJR

KD8MJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of you guys are really hard to please, this Rig looks great to me!
    Hats off to Kenwood they did a great Job with the design lets hope the Specs match the great looks.

15. W3RXO

W3RXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Strikes me as appearing much like a cross between a Yaesu FTDX5000 and an Icom IC7700. It is just missing that typical Kenwood "Look". I would guess it is a fine radio, but I'll stick to a Flex5000, for a modern rig. For those of you (MOST hams) who like the big 3 from Japan I am sure it will be a very sweet rig. I must say, I am very happy to see Kenwood come up with some real modern, high end, attributes. It's been a long time, since they really innovated anything, in Ham Radio.
    Kudos to Kenwood!!

Last edited: May 9, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.