ad: wmr-1

New Kenwood TS 990

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE3GNO, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

To this I would agree. Including the fact it has a built in switching power supply.

K2WH

2. K7QW

K7QW Ham Member QRZ Page

200W from my TS-480HX makes a nice driver for a pair of 8877's

3. KD8MJR

KD8MJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone else noticed the date on the 990 TFT is set to April 1st.

4. K7YB

K7YB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

quite a radio....and an astronomical price. A (less than 2K!!!!) Flex Radio sounds like a better idea than the latest overpriced box from the big 3.

5. N6RLS

N6RLS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I hope it is standard practice for the manufacturers these days to offer firmware updates for their units to reflect changes mandated by the FCC (such as the recent 60M changes) and not leave us in the lurch searching for sketchy mods online.

6. G3UEQ

G3UEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 2 TS520SE's, lovely rigs and still working FB..
    Andy G3UEQ

7. G4LHT

G4LHT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was thinking of getting one, what is the problem with it as such.
    Regards
    Damian

8. W5DHM

W5DHM Ham Member QRZ Page

The TS-590 is a nice radio. The receiver is easy on the ears, better than some of the other DSP radios. There have been lots of complaints from the amplifier users about ALC overshoot knocking out their amp with a shot of high wattage. They tried to take care of this, but the last I heard it was only partially cured. My only real complaint is that the noise blanker only worked when there is no signal. On voice peaks the noise rides right in with the signal, making it useless unless one likes to listen to a frequency with no signal. I received no reply when I mentioned this, and they've apparently given up on any more firmware improvements since last year. If I was in a quieter area without all the power lines, my 590 would still be on the desk instead of in the corner on the floor. I won't be trying their new TS-990 to see if they got it right this time.

9. VK4TI

VK4TI Guest

Far to many light bells whistles and dollars , all you need is volume and vfo , the rest is wasted on most of us

10. NY0V

NY0V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like an Icom copy!

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Oooh!

Lotsa lotsa knobs! drroool!

Chip W1YW

12. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

6K? Out of my trailerhood...

13. W6OM

W6OM Ham Member QRZ Page

No thanks, I will stick with my Flex Radio. Twice the features and at 1/3 the price.......

Ron W6OM

14. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio is getting out of the reach of the average ham. $6K !! I can only dream about spending that much on a radio. Sure I would love to have an IC7800, Alpha amp, OptiBeam etc etc etc but I envy you guys that can afford such toys. I guess my TS940 will just have to last me a little longer.

As for the radio, looks like an FT857 display with Icom panel. As one other respondent suggested, bring back a remake of a classic, like the 520 or 830 with some modern features, and make it affordable. I look forward to seeing the next rigs out but why bother, at $6K only a fantasy.

Done my whining, continue drewling!

15. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave!

Same here in a way... yeah, the 990 was already taken by Yaesu, with their really nice FT-990.

Was kinda hoping for the TS-2012 myself. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.