ad: M2Ant-1

New Kenwood TS 990

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE3GNO, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K0SPN

K0SPN Ham Member QRZ Page

The software industry has proven time and again that people are stupid and will eagerly accept a buggy piece of * with the promise to fix said bugs in a future update, just because it's the newest thing and has X special new feature(s) that are really cool.
    Everyone else has jumped on this bandwagon.

We're now *; and we did it to ourselves by putting up with it.

Merry Christmas.

2. W3RXO

W3RXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said. While they are working out the bugs, of their software/firmware glitches (that almost sounds dirty), my old Drake and Collins stuff, just keeps on working well. No updates to worry about. And while my 32V-2 sold for around $575 new, in 1950, it sells for that, or more, now. I wonder what all of whizbang rigs will be worth, in 62 years. Someone will have to ask my grandchildren, or great grandchildren. Heck, I couldn't even keep my FT-100, or TS-940SAT, on the air anymore, because the parts that were aging and failing, could not be replaced, within a reasonable budget. Nah, I'll stick with my boat anchors, and maybe ONE whizbang radio, for the occasional simplicity of a no tune-up operation.

3. PP8DA

PP8DA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, this is a good one,I liked this one Vy73´s Nickolau-PP8DA

4. W9MB

W9MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Why on earth would guys with 50+ year old radios chime in on a thread announcing a cutting edge radio announcement? Keep your boat anchors and negative attitudes to yourselves. This hobby sure has it's share of curmudgeons.

Lighten up guys!

5. W3RXO

Well, first off, who needs to "Lighten up?"
    I was simply giving my commentary on how badly Icom did, rolling out the 9100, and hoping Kenwood doesn't make the same mistake. Just because we "Curmudgeons" like our boat anchors, doesn't mean we don't like, nor appreciate, the new whizbang rigs, from the big 6. I would LOVE to have an Elecraft, TenTec or Flex, but I refuse to give my money to the Chinese, who make most of the modern Japanese radios for Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom. I have nothing against modern accoutrements, and whizbang gadgets, but in the end, like someone once said, unless you are in a lab environment, or have a need for digital logging, and immediate access to multiple bands/frequencies, the new rigs don't provide as much advantage, as what you are paying for. If you like spending tons of your hard earned cash, on these high end rigs, go for it. It's YOUR cash, and you have the right to do with it, what you want. I'm not being judgmental, about what YOU, or anyone else chooses to spend their cash on. And I am not complaining about the capability of modern rigs, I am voicing my opinion, on how the manufacturers handle the rollout of those rigs, and cogitating over what kind of value they will hold, over the years. Maybe they WILL be worth more. But I would guess not. I don't need to lighten up. I'm not the person with a pair of panties in a wad, calling folks names, and telling them to lighten up. This is a forum for DISCUSSION, and we are discussing our thoughts, as they relate to a radio that we have yet to learn a great deal about.
    Go Packers!!! No hard feelings, but man, don't jump to conclusions.

6. K7KB

K7KB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Considering the AD on the back cover of the latest QST, I would say the look of the radio has been set. I'm not in the market to buy a new transceiver just yet but it will be interesting to see how well the radio stacks up against the Yaesu 5000 and Icom 7700/7800 series.

John K7KB

7. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Why... all one needs to do is "clip the brown wire, yup, yup" (does anybody else remember that one?). ;)

8. N4ZED

N4ZED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope my 870 never gets too old to love.....LOL

9. W3RXO

Man, an 870 is a NICE rig. I love the look, and that it was actually made IN Japan, instead of some Communist slave labor factory, in China.
    I hope it was built with better components, than was my TS-940SAT. When the receive started to go, I took it to a tech who looked at it, and listened to my description of what the problem was, and he said the cost of modifying it, to use the available components, which would replace the ones failing, was not worth the value of the radio, in it's entirety. So, it got swap meet sold to a gu who said he could fix it. More power to him. I replaced it with my TS480HX, and am very happy with it, but really want a TR7A, so, once my move, to Oklahoma is complete, that;s the trade I will be looking for.

10. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwoods I have owned - 440, 450, 520, 570x2, 820, 830x2, 850x5, 870, 940. Always been a Kenwood guy, but looking at the 990, it's like the designers made a list of every feature or option known to man and tried to cram it into this radio. Sometimes less is more, just another out of reach radio that won't be able to be repaired in the shack. Too expensive, too many bells and whistles. Once again, Kenwood is playing role of follower, not leader.

11. K8JY

K8JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Dayton

Im looking forward to what kenwood has to say in Dayton.

I hope the add on the back of June QST isn't fake as I noticed the april first April fools date. Layout seems logical

Anyway I own a TS590 for the simplicity and the receiver. Love the radio even though I am concerned abt kenwood fixing the overshoot.

I think the price should be 3k for the 990. That way they can do what kenwood used to do back in the 80s. Own the market and and the others will follow. I don't like seeing kenwood copying anyone's design or market strategy, because they have always been smarter than that.

We will see.... still loyal

See you this weekend

JOHN

12. KD8MJR

KD8MJR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been posting about the April 1st date and the fact that the public got hold of the "Pictures" here and on various other forums for over a week. I really find the public viewing before <st1:City w:st="on">Dayton</st1:City> to be very odd. Everyone seems to ignore that and I guess it would really be stupid if Kenwood was to unveil a unit that is different from the pictures that people say come from QST. What would be even more tragic is if it's not only different but not a nice as the one we are seeing now. I truly doubt this is joke but that April 1st date and the early release are a head scratcher.

13. EA3IO

EA3IO Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinion, this transceiver is more expensive for a HF+50 only. I don't know which is the difference between a Icom IC-756(pro II or III) or this kenwood. (For a pay difference price, offcourse!!)

73 de EA3IO Manuel
    Barcelona SPAIN!!

14. W8TLS

W8TLS Ham Member QRZ Page

TS-990

The Kenwood TS-990 Prototype was on display under a Plexiglass case and a black cloth covering the back. Kenwood said this was a non working unit and it is still in development. Also they said it will cost more than $5,000 and less than $10,000.

original.jpg

15. K8JY

K8JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well

What's going on with this rig?
    Any news when we can buy one

Just got thru with field day

Dit Dit
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.