ad: elecraft

New ICOM software - Time Adjustment - ST4003W

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AC3DS, Dec 2, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WB8NXR

WB8NXR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, that's a real "WTH?" I was thinking if there was a command line switch then Task Manager on Windows could be used to schedule an update but even that does not appear possible.

2. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Late to the game, but I don't see the use here?
    My software is referenced from Dimension4 as needed by the dig modes.
    I understand we are talking about the radio clock, but really; why would I care if the rig's clock is off a little?

KK9W likes this.
  3. N2IMB

N2IMB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use Dimension 4 from Thinking Man Software and it keep my PC within ±0.4 seconds of UTC. Never have to think about it.

KB2SMS and KO4CES like this.
  4. N7LFL

N7LFL Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool works great!

5. WD4CNO

WD4CNO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What is Dimension 4?

I've used the free version of Meinberg NTP for years and my PC clock stays within .003 seconds of UTC.
    Works with any internet connection. I also use a $20 GPS dongle when in the field. Only excuse
    for those running WSJT with any drift over .5 seconds is they are lazy.

I never look at or use my transceiver clock.

W9FL and KO4CES like this.
  6. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you!

7. N7XGR

N7XGR Ham Member QRZ Page

Why use this from Icom when this will work much much better.
    This program Commander already had this clock sync feature from several years ago,
    http://www.dxlabsuite.com/download.htm
    Download the launcher first then open it to have Commander install from this installer program.
    It also gives you more features than the Icom utility will ever have.
    I have installed BKT time sync that gets time data via GPS to then have the PC clock correct.
    Remember to turn OFF the Windoze time sync portion otherwise the two will conflict.
    Commander can be used to interface between WSJT-X and Icom radios.
    When Commander is launched it then syncs the clock and every hour after that
    with the selection on the General tab named, Set radio UTC time on startup
    or selection, and hourly. Look at the only feature the Icom one has as compared
    with what Commander can do and much more.
    Install everything via this path, C:\Ham Apps\DXLab

Bruce N7XGR

KO4CES likes this.
  8. N9ZYL

N9ZYL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now if they would only fix their freq issue when on SSB using the 9700! The freq's don't match up! What a novel concept! Building a transceiver and make it so you and the other station are on the same freq ! 4 other local hams all have the same issue. o_O

KO4CES likes this.
  9. HA3FLT

HA3FLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, yes, always the cheapest/widest available, plain solution to the customer... 55 days, and a fraction of it soon. Icom has an especially dark history when things come to batteries and memories - we never foget the processors even in the IC-765 those just bricked forever if their RAM battery is depleted or failed. Until somebody else came up with a replacement processor, of course. But every ham manufacturer had nasty moves.

Also, how long some quartz watches had been working already in the 80's? One year? Two? :) And today you really don't need to store any data in a memory that draws current while unused - there are EEPROM's, Flashes, and everything for that.

I believe there are a lot of people who don't power up their radio for months. I haven't been thinking on it but the RTC-problem can be general in today's transceivers with computers built in. :)

I know that I don't know every constraints and tradeoffs needed to develop and sell a radio, but it's just... seem to be mortifying.

10. KD9VV

Dimension 4 does the same thing as Meinberg. They both use time servers to calibrate the computer clock.
    I set mine to look at the server every 10 mins.

11. KD9VV

Don't want to hijack this topic, but unsure what you mean?
    My 9700 has no issues on ssb.
    The freq instability/drift is more of a problem on digi modes; esp at or above 432Mhz.

Have a look at several GPSDO options that bring the rig to super accuracy.
    Best I've seen and now use is by Leo Bodnar..works perfectly without hacking up the radio.

12. KE7CF

KE7CF Ham Member QRZ Page

What about Linux users? Will This work on Linux?

13. K5IDL

K5IDL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes it is rather lame. I have an inexpensive solar powered watch that auto updates it’s time so I’m pretty sure a $1K AC powered radio could to it.

14. N8XCO

N8XCO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That’s for the computer running wsjtx, not the radio, the time display on the radio doesn’t matter for wsjtx to run properly

15. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

hehehe I love comments starting with "You would think..."
    Spared me to read the entire thread, many thanks!

Oliver

AE7HF likes this.