ad: k1jek

New ICOM software - Time Adjustment - ST4003W

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AC3DS, Dec 2, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VA3NCD

VA3NCD Ham Member QRZ Page

but the Ethernet port equipped ICOM radios already do have the network time synchronization feature available,
    so what's really the point making an effort, and creating such redundancy ?

K2IE likes this.
  2. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is one reason I have a TS590SG beside the 7300 for CW which will handle more than one Key. The FTdx10 IMO is even worse on CW on every level, unless twisting and turning does it for you.

3. MM0JNL

MM0JNL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is very handy and I like it. On start-up the PC syncs with the time server then this program/app syncs the radio. This is SPOT ON for those who do not have GPS radios which update from the satellites. The haters will always hate, let them grumble.

KO4CES and WG5ENE like this.
  4. KD1ELK

KD1ELK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The 9700 already has an NTP time server sync function built in, if you have it connected to your internet that is.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Expanding on this...and sorry to be so dumb on it...but doesn't this help in using the IC-705 on FT-8?

MM0JNL likes this.
  6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No. The radio's clock is not used for digital modes. The computer clock is what is used.

W1YW likes this.
  7. MM0JNL

YEP!!

8. MM0JNL

Always good to have a simple way to sync all radio clocks as good practice. I am sure anyone with a modern ICOM shack will appreciate this small addition. I know I do in this modern world where people are so picky of the smallest things, I would expect this app/program to be loved.

9. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

What would be really clever & helpful for field use of FT8 (WSJT-X) etc is firmware & app that would enable precise manual or periodic auto setting a PC RTC from an Icom or other rig tuned to WWV or other time standard station.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  10. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

There is such a thing..It's called a GPSDO external receiver . ;)
    If you find the perfect rig, let me know. :)

11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, but that's just more hardware to pack and power - what I suggest ought to be "just coding" :D not more to lug around. Similar to and taking more advantage of that nifty local wireless link between radio and PC. Then there is that view of the sky issue. ;)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  12. W6KLH

W6KLH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Also works fine with IC-R8600 receiver.

13. N9MIC

N9MIC Ham Member QRZ Page

14. KJ7WT

KJ7WT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just downloaded and tried this software. It works, but... it would be nice to be able to schedule it, and it would also be nice to have the option of displaying different time zones. On the other hand, it was free, and computing the UTC from local time is good for my aging brain!

15. N7DKE

N7DKE Ham Member QRZ Page

This ICOM app works great on Windows with the 7300. But realize that the time updated comes from the date/time set on your computer, not WWV. If you want to have the time update accurate, ensure you are connected to the internet and ensure your windows setting for date/time is set to auto-sync. (Date & Time), (Set time automatically: ON, Set time zone automatically ON, Synchronize your clock (Sync now). and lastly, have your Time zone set to the correct location). 73 all... KJ7YBK