New digital mode FT4

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Apr 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What's stopping you? Get on 75m any evening and call CQ and yak with someone. Or 20m any afternoon. Or 7112 CW....

I do these things nightly on my Eico 753, Henry Radio Tempo One, or Globe Scout 680 with HQ-180 and neither FT4 nor FT8 impedes me in any way whatsoever from having nice contacts.

FT modes are NOT the "death of amateur radio" - I really get tired of that endless mantra.

Dave
    W7UUU

WU8Y, KG5THG, K3SZ and 1 other person like this.
  2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have WSJT-X installed right now, as my FT4 testing is complete. The spots on Hamspots show the following (+/-):

3. 2E0BJL

2E0BJL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Perfect i just fix it. Anyway I very loved ft4 much better respect ft8

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you look @ his QRZ home page?

The "old days" don't seem to be very long ago.
    YMMV

5. WB9JRO

WB9JRO Ham Member QRZ Page

We do, but everyone is crammed into the ft8 areas....

6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Weird how the bands work so utterly differently where you are ;)

I have absolutely ZERO issues establishing contacts on 75, 40, 30 in the evenings, and 20 most afternoons, all on either CW and SSB

Not "everyone" is doing FT8 at least not all the days and evenings I am on the air. At least not around here

Dave
    W7UUU

W4KVW and W4KJG like this.
  7. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave -- thank you.

Earlier today I posted a reply on another QRZ FT4/FT8 thread https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...-ft4-kills-off-ft8.657156/page-4#post-5056896

Yes, I can't have some of the types of QSOs I've had in the past. Instead I seem to be posting more often in the QRZ SK thread. Over the weekend I posted another SK notice of a good friend of over 50 years (W3CSW).

We were both experimenters going back to the 60s. We got/get on the air to test our experiments and then talk about them, usually involving other long time and newbee friends.

As my old friends become silent keys, I'm glad to have things like WSPR, FT8, WebSDR, PSKreporter, and other great tools to test my experiments.

I'm hoping to have a new and crazy type of AM exciter working soon. For that, I know I'll need the people who frequent 3885 and 7285 to give me honest, and sometimes bruising, reports. But, I know they are there, or other places where I can find them on 75 and 40 meters.

Propagation was pretty poor since I put my antenna back up a couple of days ago. I still didn't have issues while never running more than about 85 watts to a chunk of wire.

I happy to have the new tools to test old time types of communication.

Curmudgeon Ken
    W4KJG

W7UUU likes this.
  8. W2XG

W2XG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

K3SZ likes this.
  9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of posts against something, anything, is usually like that. No real facts, just a need to post in the best of cases. A few others truly want to cause havoc. Simple as that.

KZ4KX likes this.
  10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Love the old Tempo One.