New digital mode FT4

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Apr 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K2MFW

K2MFW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've come up with a similar contesting mode for cellphones...we just call as many other hams as possible in 24 hours. I expect this to be legal in about 5 years at this pace. WAS in 50 minutes!

W4HM likes this.
  2. W3KIT

W3KIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Every Ham I know their rigs have VFO, your probably do as well - use it!

If Digital is not your cup of tea.... drink something else or learn how to drink it.

N3OP, W9FL, KG5THG and 1 other person like this.
  3. W1HFP

W1HFP Ham Member QRZ Page

I think we are saying the same thing. I like FT8 but sometimes think it is too effortless. But, I very much appreciate the software's ability to do what it does. With that said, I am marching towards my first CW contact (still developing my receive skills). When I make this first CW contact it will be the biggest success of my ham career. This is because it is perhaps the most challenging and the most sought after mode - IMO at least. Many can do FT8, many can do SSB...it takes a trained OP and hard work to be a FB CW OP. Still though, I value all modes for what they are and what they bring to the hobby.

KZ4KX likes this.
  4. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here in central Florida I make JT65A and JT9 contacts everyday on 20 and 40 meters both day and night. I call CQ and it brings out dozens of JT65A and JT9 ops.

The QSO's occur on 14076-14078 kHz and 7076-7078 kHz.

5. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My cell phone has a Morse code ring tone on it. When it rings it gets lots of attention from non ham types.

Think of all of the non ham types that can join in on a cell phone contest!;) An Apple cell phone can be a multiplier and an Android a QTH domain.:D

6. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool, I'm glad the modes are still alive. I'm just afraid that between legacy modes (PSK##, RTTY, SSTV, etc) and the new stuff (JT*, FT*), we're eventually going to take a lot of bandwidth up, especially when you consider the ITU regions don't always agree on the same frequencies. Add in the Fox and Hound features, and it adds up.

7. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Your RF landscape, or should I say ecosystem, must be very different than mine. From my viewpoint, the more bandwidth that is used up the better. A little overcrowding would be better still: hey FCC, we need more bandwidth.;)

Outside of the FT8 segments, the bands are empty most of the time.

These new modes use very little bandwidth, lest the regulators think we don't need it any longer, and reduce them based on our 'new' needs.:(

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    W9FL and WU8Y like this.
  8. W6US

W6US Ham Member QRZ Page

Time was not the major problem with using FT8 in a contest. The biggest problem, and one not addressed in this new mode, are the variety of exchanges allowed. Most State QSO parties use a 5-6 character state/county identifier. A lot of contests use serial numbers. Some use states and providences, others use ARRL/RAC sections. There may be other items in the required exchange. THIS is what needs to be addressed instead of worrying how long it takes to make the exchange. Remember that with the error correction, repeats are only needed if there is an error, and that occurs automatically. Since the callsigns are embedded, they are given out every time so you do not have to wait several QSOs to find out who you need to call (or move on if they are a dupe)...

9. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

That 15 second wait was just too long. We need Internet speeds. As much as I bitch and moan, FT8 is addictive. As far as human interaction... I get plenty. Click on someone calling CQ, then I look up who they are in QRZ, then I find the distance between me and them or is it them and me... the write all that data in a paper log with my Pilot G2 Limited pen. I'm not sure I can go faster. And the bonus is it's all pre-canned responses and I don't have to deal with any arrogant pricks or the dribbling afterbirth of 7200. (That was typed in my special sarcasm font). I'm wondering if the computer will have to have the amatuer radio license for FT-2? (more sarcasm font)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    KB2HSH and WU8Y like this.
  10. KB2HSH

KB2HSH Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of the long-time RTTY contesters will recognize my call...I have been doing the RTTY Contests for many years...as a QRP entrant, on top of it. NO ONE can deny that the solar conditions have been pitiful for too long. The FT8 operation in the RTTY Roundup this year was the first time that I have deviated from my beloved Baudot RTTY. And it was GREAT. Now, K1JT is giving us ANOTHER weapon in the weak signal war. 4 second TX times? Signal levels to -16?? No critical clock timing required???? SOUNDS GREAT!!!

KB2HSH
    Grand Island, NY

W9FL likes this.