ad: HamHats-1

New digital mode FT4

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC1JA

KC1JA Ham Member QRZ Page

Great comment

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be a false decode, not likely to be confirmed on LoTW.;)

Telepathy in hamradio is nothing new, think Topband.:D

3. VA3HQB

VA3HQB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They are doing it with MMDVM, I think its a great idea. Especially with the digital info being passed for some of the modes.

4. VA3VF

Before 'mode armageddon' happens, knowing where the 'watering hole' for each mode is located helps identify it.
    This problem can be mitigated if/when developers find a way to incorporate RSID (Reed Solomon IDentifier) into their new protocol.

5. KS4TD

KS4TD Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on getting your license!

The FT series of modes are, IMNSHO, for amassing as many contacts as you possibly can in a short period of time. If that's your thing, do it.

I prefer actual conversations so I tend to stick to SSB, RTTY, PSK31 (no macros, please), and Feld Hell which is my favorite digital mode.

I don't see why there's so much contention. If you don't like something, don't use it. It's that simple.

I hope you'll enjoy the hobby for years to come. I've been licensed since 1997 and still enjoy amateur radio as a hobby.

N0NC likes this.
  6. UR3QTN

UR3QTN Ham Member QRZ Page

it's like a drug, hi! I'm already tired of everything in ft8. Now, if I install ft4, we need it all there. And you have to come up with a new fashion, hi hi

7. HA3FLT

HA3FLT Ham Member QRZ Page

This time there is something beyond the ranting on some changes, not only because we won’t keep up in the digital world for sentimental reasons, mental lazyness, or feeling ourselves uncomfortable by the unknown.

As I heard, instead of the operator, FT4 is automatically chooses the strongest, "best" one from the decoded calls to answer. Concerning the traditional behaviors and targets of a radio amateur, it seems to me at least questionable, and possibly downright unethical. It would have been impractical as well regarding to DX’s, but I know, we are speaking of contests, and the needs of the holy contesting are untouchable.

Besides the negative effects of the clusters and so, QSO’s had already crippled in the name of effectiveness, even the reports, the mandatory and obligatory parts of contacts are bald lies (599 then bye), so that does not mean a thing, but how much I do not care of the contest-effectiveness, I cannot circumscribe you here... Building and/or trying out something, and making some good QSO’s with it, collecting diplomas (that is a good contest) – these are what we have our licenses for.

Sometimes a little game is nice until they do not disturb others’ playing (contests do that), also there are bands where the activity mostly means contests (V/U/SHF), and I’m totally not against the computing in its place (JT65, QRSS, RBN, SDR’s, etc., etc. are great), but we have lost the point somewhere as usual, shame on us.

8. IK0TIX

IK0TIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello OMs,
    I did some QSOs in FT4 but I can't upload them to the qrz.com logbook.
    Qrz.com probably doesn't have FT4 as one of its modes.
    How are the others doing? Is it the case, for the moment, don't to save these QSOs?
    Max

9. KT4U

KT4U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I saved mine so I hope qrz adds the mode to their menu.

10. IK0TIX

IK0TIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Many thanks Terry,
    in the meantime, thanks to Jo's support (CT1BWU), I discovered that the problem is with LoTW.
    If I upload the ADIF file directly, everything works correctly. On my qrz.com logbook you can see my first contacts and the mode is FT4.
    Max

11. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried FT4 on 40m last night, and it seems effective.
    I made one contact, and that was enough for me, same "contact" mode, just faster.

One thing that seriously disturbs me is that people have chosen 7.047 to use this mode.
    This is a frequency that W1AW uses for code practice, bulletins, etc. That area is also full of QRP CW rigs with no VFO.

The mode creator suggested these frequencies in the FT4 Protocol paper:
    As initial guidelines we suggest the following default dial frequencies for FT4: 3.595, 7.090, 10.140, 14.140, 18.104, 21.140, 24.919, 28.180, 50.318, 144.170 MHz.

Why not follow the guidelines to prevent QRM?

AG5DB and WU8Y like this.
  12. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried it on 6m for the fun of it. 50.318 for those who didn't RTFM :)
    One station out in Denver heard me according to PSK reporter.
    I'd like to see how it does during different band conditions compared to the other digital modes.

It will be interesting come the June VHF Contest how many VHFers try FT4.
    That will really spread out the herd.
    It used to be we just had FM, SSB, and CW and it was reasonably easy to find stations to contact.
    Now between FM, SSB, CW, MSK144, FT8, and FT4, we won't be able to make contacts because we won't know where everyone else is :p

13. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, FT4 allows the operator the OPTION to select or not select the "auto" function.
    Manual QSO selection can still be controlled by "double clicking" on a decoded callsign.

"One new on-screen control is available for FT4 operation, a button labeled Best S+P, just below the Call 1st checkbox. Clicking this button during an Rx cycle arms the program to examine all CQ messages decoded at the end of the 6- second Rx sequence. The program will select the best potential QSO partner (from a contesting perspective), and treat it as if you had double-clicked on that line of decoded text

HA3FLT likes this.
  14. VA3VF

The quoted sentence makes all the difference in the 'world'. Yes, it's one additional step up in automation - similar to what is available in contesting software like N1MM - but still requiring the operator to activate the feature at every RX cycle, i.e. every 6 seconds or so. This feature does not work unless WSJT-X is in contesting mode.

One other 'feature' of note, unnecessary in my opinion, is the switching between the OK and Cancel buttons in the log window every few contacts. Hopefully it'll be removed in the final version.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  15. IK5JRZ

IK5JRZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

in QRZ.COM is impossible to log FT4 mode...why?